Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service
|Established||April 1, 1997|
|Facilities and equipment|
Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service provides the Fire and Rescue Service to the area covered and served by Central Bedfordshire Council, Bedford Borough Council and Luton Borough Council. Initially part of Bedfordshire County Council, the Service became a Combined Fire Authority and was named Bedfordshire & Luton Fire and Rescue Service from 1 April 1997 until 16 December 2012, following the creation of a separate unitary authority of Luton from Bedfordshire County Council. The Service took its current name following the abolition of the County Council and creation of the three unitary authorities.
Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service currently employ more than 550 staff on a variety of conditions of service. These include Firefighters on the Wholetime shift system; Firefighters on the Retained Duty System; Fire Officers on the Flexible Duty System, Fire Control Operators and support staff.
The Firefighters currently working at the county's five Wholetime stations are the first in the country to work 24-hour shifts.
Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service operates 14 fire stations, of which five are crewed on 24-hour shifts (wholetime), one day crewed (Monday - Friday, 09:00 - 17:00) and the remainder are crewed by retained firefighters who live near to their fire station and can arrive there within five minutes of a call-out.
|Station Callsign||Station Name||Duty System||Appliances|
|AM||Ampthill||Retained||1x RP, 1x RwT|
|BE||Bedford||Wholetime/Retained/Cross Crewed*||2x RP, 1x ALP, 1x WRU+IrbT*, 1x OSU*, 1x PM+MDR*, 1x PM+MDD*|
|BI||Biggleswade||Retained||1x RP, 1x RwT|
|DU||Dunstable||Wholetime/Cross Crewed*||2x RP, 1x TRU*, 1x OSU*|
|HA||Harrold||Retained||1x RP, 1x MRV|
|KE||Kempston||Wholetime/Retained/Cross Crewed*||2x RP, 1x WrC, 1x SRU*|
|LB||Leighton Buzzard||Day Crewed/Cross Crewed*||2x RP, 1x ICU*|
|LU||Luton||Wholetime||2x RP, 1x ALP|
|PO||Potton||Retained/Cross Crewed*||1x RP, 1x ISU*|
|SA||Sandy||Retained||1x RP, 1x MRV|
|SH||Shefford||Retained||1x RP, 1x MRV|
|ST||Stopsley||Wholetime/Cross Crewed*||1x RP, 1x RSU*, 1x PM+HMSU*, 1x IRU*|
|TO||Toddington||Retained||1x RP, 1x RwT, 1x WrC, 1x MRV|
|WO||Woburn||Retained||1x RP, 1x MRV|
Fire Appliance Glossary/Callsigns
- Rescue Pump (RP): 2/2A/2B
- Rural Water Tender (RwT): 3
- Incident Support Unit (ISU): 4
- Operational Support Unit (OSU): 4
- Prime Mover + Hazardous Materials Support Unit (PM+HMSU): 4
- Rescue Support Unit (RSU): 5
- Specialist Rescue Unit (SRU): 5
- Technical Support Unit (TSU): 5
- Multi Role Vehicle (MRV): 6M
- Aerial Ladder Platform (ALP): 7
- Water Carrier (WrC): 8
- Water Rescue Unit + Inshore Rescue Boat (WRU+IrbT): 9
- Incident Command Unit (ICU): 30
- Prime Mover + Mass Decontamination Rerobe (PM+MDR): 95
- Prime Mover + Mass Decontamination Disrobe (PM+MDD): 96
- Incident Response Unit (IRU): 99
A typical Bedfordshire fire engine
- "The Bedfordshire Fire Services (Combination Scheme) Order 1996". The National Archives. Retrieved 1 January 2017.
- "Bedfordshire Fire Services (Combination Scheme) (Variation) Order 2012". The National Archives. Retrieved 1 January 2017.
- "East of England - Fire and resilience". Department for Communities and Local Government. Archived from the original on 29 September 2008. Retrieved 7 July 2009.
- "About Us". Bedfordshire and Luton Fire and Rescue Service. Retrieved 7 July 2009.