Bedlinog is a small village (and larger community) located in the Taff Bargoed Valley 10 km north of Pontypridd, 10 km north west of Caerphilly and 10 km south east of Merthyr Tydfil in south-east Wales. It is currently in the south of Merthyr Tydfil County Borough, but until 1974 was part of Gelligaer Urban District Council in the county of Glamorgan.
Bedlinog is the name of the village in both English and Welsh. The meaning of the name is somewhat unclear, but the usual suggestion is that it means the 'house near (the stream) Llwynog'. If so, the first element is a variant of the Welsh 'bod' ('dwelling'), and the second a variant of the name of a stream ('Llwynog') which literally means 'fox'. However, all forms of the name are relatively late (seventeenth century onwards) and show significant variation. During the nineteenth century the name was thought by some to have been formed from the elements 'bedd' ('grave') and 'llwynog' ('fox'), and the form 'Beddllwynog' ('fox's grave') is used by some Welsh speakers today. But it is not the standard Welsh form, and it is clear that 'Bedlinog' was the predominant form used by the area's Welsh-speakers in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
Bedlinog village is in the Merthyr Tydfil County Borough, which covers the villages of Trelewis and Bedlinog, but is the only electoral ward within the Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council area which has its own Community Council.
Sport and leisure
One of the largest climbing centres in Europe less than a mile down the valley was closed briefly in 2008, but re-opened in October 2010.
Actress Gwenllian Davies (died 2007) was born in Bedlinog.
Welsh language culture
Bedlinog is home to the Bedroc festival, a major event in the Welsh language calendar which has been held over a weekend in June every year since 2008.
- "Community population 2011". Neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk. Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- On the name 'Bedlinog', see Hywel Wyn Owen & Richard Morgan. 2007. Dictionary of the Place-names of Wales. Llandysul: Gomer, p. 26.
- Different types of elections: Local Council Elections, Merthry Tydfil County Borough Council; retrieved 18 January 2016.
- "News - Rock UK". Adventures.rockuk.org. Archived from the original on 19 December 2014. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- "Beast at his best; Gwenllian Davies on why her role with Martin Clunes moved her to tears". Thefreelibrary.com. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- "Success of Bedroc 09", Wales Online, 9 July 2009. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bedlinog.|
- Old Merthyr Tydfil: Bedlinog - Historical photographs of Bedlinog
- Geograph.co.uk : photos of Bedlinog and surrounding area
- Friends of Nant Llwynog Park official website