Bee Branch, Arkansas
|Bee Branch, Arkansas|
Picture of Bee Branch taken in 1912.
|County||Van Buren County|
|Elevation||508 ft (154 m)|
|Population (2000)||1,724 (886 households)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Bee Branch is an unincorporated community in Van Buren County, Arkansas, U.S.A.. The community is located near secondary roads and no Interstate highways in the immediate area. U.S. Route 65 is the most major highway to go through Bee Branch. The elevation of Bee Branch is 764 feet (233 m) above sea level and its residents use the Central Time Zone. The ZIP code that the Bee Branch area residents use is 72013.
More than 70% of the local population consist of married couples. The majority of the population were born out-of-state and exclusively speak the English language. Residents of Bee Branch spend an average of 42 minutes commuting to and from work. Bee Branch was indirectly affected by an outbreak of tornadoes in November 2005. Bee Branch has enjoyed a population growth of 5% since 2000 with a current population of 1,724 people. There is no metro area or city nearby; therefore, residents and visitors have difficulty using alternative transportation. However, the nearest towns are Clinton and Fairfield Bay.
The warmest summers that Bee Branch has witnessed occurred in 1998, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016.
Public education is provided by multiple school districts depending on the resident's residence and zoning:
- South Side School District including South Side High School is primarily the town's local school that provides instruction to children from kindergarten (ages 4–5) to twelfth grade (ages 17–21).
- West Side School District supports some portions of Bee Branch with its elementary school and West Side High School. The district encompasses more than 147.81 square miles (382.8 km2) of land that includes all or portions of Cleburne County and Van Buren County communities including: Higden, Bee Branch, Quitman, Heber Springs, Prim, Edgemont, Shirley, Fairfield Bay, Greers Ferry, and Drasco.
- Clinton School District, which leads students to graduate from Clinton High School.
Bee Branch is also the home town of Larry Nixon. He is a professional fisherman and a video game celebrity in Japan with a wife, two sons and one daughter. While the local video game players either bought and/or rented this game as TNN Bass Tournament of Champions in the Bee Branch area, Japanese gamers saw the game released as Larry Nixon's Super Bass Fishing. The capital of Japan (Tokyo) is located 6,492 miles (10,448 km) away from Bee Branch and only avid sports fans realized Nixon's link to the Bee Branch area.
Jim McKnight, professional baseball player, whose son also played in the Major Leagues, was born in Bee Branch.
NASA Goddard astrophysicist Amber Straughn hails from Bee Branch.
- General information about Bee Branch, Arkansas at PikPuk
- "Global Analysis - Annual 2016". NOAA. Retrieved 19 January 2017.
- Larry Nixon information at Bassmaster
- Distance between Bee Branch, Arkansas and Tokyo, Japan at City Distance Tool