Bee Cave, Texas
|Bee Cave, Texas|
Location of Bee Cave, Texas
|• Mayor||Caroline Murphy (mayor)|
|• Total||2.6 sq mi (6.7 km2)|
|• Land||2.6 sq mi (6.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||919 ft (280 m)|
|• Estimate (2013)||5,287|
|• Density||252.0/sq mi (97.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Area code(s)||512 & 737|
|GNIS feature ID||1330313|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.6 square miles (6.7 km2), all of it land.
The city of Bee Cave is served by the Lake Travis Independent School District. Three elementary schools, Bee Cave Elementary School in Bee Cave, Lake Pointe Elementary School in an unincorporated area, and Lakeway Elementary School in Lakeway, serve Bee Cave and sections of Lakeway. Lake Travis Middle School and Lake Travis High School, both in unincorporated areas, serve Bee Cave. Eanes Independent School District and Westlake High School (Texas) are also in the area.
American Campus Communities has its headquarters in Buildings S and T in the Hill Country Galleria shopping development, in Bee Cave. The company offices were scheduled to open there in December 2010.
In popular culture
Tie-in literature for the class-based multiplayer shooter video game Team Fortress 2 lists the Engineer, an amiable Texan in a hard hat and with a penchant for building helpful contraptions, as a native of Bee Cave.
As of the census of 2000, there were 656 people, 207 households, and 172 families residing in the city. The population density was 252.0 people per square mile (97.4/km2). There were 246 housing units at an average density of 94.5 per square mile (36.5/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 94.21% white, 0.15% Native American, 0.15% Asian, 3.51% from other races, and 1.98% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 7.62% of the population.
There were 207 households out of which 50.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 79.7% were married couples living together, 2.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 16.9% were non-families. 9.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.17 and the average family size was 3.38.
In the city, the population was spread out with 33.1% under the age of 18, 3.8% from 18 to 24, 34.8% from 25 to 44, 23.2% from 45 to 64, and 5.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 108.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 104.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $120,871, and the median house value was $130,028. Males had a median income of $100,000 versus $48,125 for females. The per capita income for the city was $45,405. None of the families and 0.5% of the population were living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and none of those over 64.
Police The City of Bee Cave is patrolled by the Bee Cave Police Department under the Direction of Chief Gary Miller. It currently has 20 officers.
Bee Cave was named by early settlers for a large cave of wild bees found near the site. A post office opened there under the name Bee Caves in 1870.
- "State and County Quick Facts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved March 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Zoning map. City of Bee Cave. Retrieved on November 22, 2008.
- Elementary attendance boundaries. Lake Travis Independent School District. Retrieved on November 22, 2008.
- Middle school attendance boundaries. Lake Travis Independent School District. Retrieved on November 22, 2008.
- Campos, Phyllis. "Hill Country Galleria." Community Impact Newspaper. Friday September 3, 2010. Retrieved on October 4, 2011.
- "Contact Us." American Campus Communities. Retrieved on October 4, 2011. "Corporate Office 12700 Hill Country Boulevard, Suite T-200 Austin, Texas 78738"
- "Bee Cave village, Texas." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on October 4, 2011.
- "Team Fortress 2 - Engineer". Valve Corporation. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Bee Cave, Texas". Texas State Historical Association. Retrieved 2012-02-06.
- City of Bee Cave Official Site
- Bee Cave from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Local News Site (BeeCaveBee.com)