Emerson Township, Michigan
|Emerson Township, Michigan|
|• Total||35.2 sq mi (91.2 km2)|
|• Land||35.2 sq mi (91.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||732 ft (223 m)|
|• Density||27.4/sq mi (10.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626238|
Emerson Township was formed in 1855.
- The city of Ithaca is at the southeast corner of the township, but is administratively autonomous.
- The cities of Alma and St. Louis are just a few miles northeast on U.S. Highway 127.
- Beebe is an unincorporated community within the township at . It was established in 1883.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.2 square miles (91 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 966 people, 353 households, and 282 families residing in the township. The population density was 27.4 per square mile (10.6/km²). There were 383 housing units at an average density of 10.9 per square mile (4.2/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.00% White, 0.10% African American, 0.41% Native American, 0.21% Asian, 1.76% from other races, and 0.52% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.90% of the population.
There were 353 households out of which 36.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 71.7% were married couples living together, 5.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.1% were non-families. 17.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.71 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the township the population was spread out with 26.8% under the age of 18, 8.2% from 18 to 24, 26.9% from 25 to 44, 23.5% from 45 to 64, and 14.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 102.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.0 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $45,054, and the median income for a family was $46,447. Males had a median income of $34,375 versus $21,923 for females. The per capita income for the township was $18,159. About 11.7% of families and 12.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.1% of those under age 18 and 6.5% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Emerson Township, Michigan
- Romig 1986, p. 183.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Beebe, Michigan
- Romig 1986, p. 51.