Beech Island, South Carolina
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Beech Island is an unincorporated community of Aiken County, South Carolina in the United States. It appears to take its name from Beech Island, a nearby former island that is politically part of Georgia but geographically separated from the rest of Georgia by a river which changed its bed. It was preceded by the trading post and fort at Savannah Town.
Beech Island was primarily an agricultural community before the 1950s. Cotton, wheat, corn, and soybean were the major crops. This changed with the construction of Urquhart Station Power Station and the nearby Savannah River Nuclear Project. New highways were built to accommodate the workers commuting to the Nuclear Project. Commerce grew and the community began to change. In the 1960s Kimberly Clark built a large manufacturing facility on what was once farmland creating more jobs. The boom, however, was short lived.
Beech Island's most famous resident was James Brown who lived there for the last few decades of his life on a 60-acre (240,000 m2) estate. Brown is buried in the Thomas Family Home Crypt on Beech Island.
Latitude and longitude
Beech Island is also home to most of the television transmitters that serve the Augusta, GA MSA.
- Beech Island Historical Society
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Beech Island, South Carolina - the island in Georgia
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Beech Island, South Carolina - the community in South Carolina
- Walter Edgar, Ed.: The South Carolina Encyclopedia, The University of South Carolina Press, Columbia, S.C., 2006, p. 63.
- Staff (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "National Register of Historic Places Listings". Weekly List of Actions Taken on Properties: 8/15/11 through 8/19/11. National Park Service. 2011-08-26.
|This South Carolina state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|