Beech Mountain, North Carolina
For the geographical feature, see Beech Mountain (North Carolina).
|Beech Mountain, North Carolina|
Location of Beech Mountain, North Carolina
|• Total||6.7 sq mi (17.2 km2)|
|• Land||6.7 sq mi (17.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||5,506 ft (1,678 m)|
|• Density||47.7/sq mi (18.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP code||28604 |
|FIPS code||37-04510 |
|GNIS feature ID||1699798 |
Beech Mountain is a town in both Avery and Watauga counties in the U.S. state of North Carolina. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 320. The town is located atop Beech Mountain and is the highest town east of the Rocky Mountains.
Beech Mountain is Located in Avery and Watauga Counties, North Carolina. Beech Mountain is located at  According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 6.7 sq mi (17.4 km²), all land.(36.206374, -81.883115).
At an elevation of 5,506 feet (1,678 m), Beech Mountain is the highest incorporated community east of the Mississippi River. Beech Mountain Ski Resort is one of very few ski areas operating in the Southeastern United States.
As of the census of 2000, there were 310 people, 145 households, and 95 families residing in the town. The population density was 46.6 people per square mile (18.0/km²). There were 1,868 housing units at an average density of 280.8 per square mile (108.5/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 97.42% White, and 2.58% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 0.97% of the population.
There were 145 households out of which 15.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.3% were married couples living together and 33.8% were non-families. 21.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.14 and the average family size was 2.45.
The age distribution was 12.6% under the age of 18, 5.8% from 18 to 24, 24.8% from 25 to 44, 33.9% from 45 to 64, and 22.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 51 years. For every 100 females there were 108.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 106.9 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $47,500, and the median income for a family was $52,813. Males had a median income of $32,031 versus $22,000 for females. The per capita income for the town was $26,799. About 2.8% of families and 8.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under the age of eighteen or sixty-five or over.
- United States Postal Service (2012). "USPS - Look Up a ZIP Code". Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Names Information System". United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.