Beechwood High School
|Beechwood High School|
|54 Beechwood Road
Fort Mitchell, KY 41017
|Established||1933 (officially), founded 1860|
|School district||Beechwood Independent School District|
|Faculty||33.6 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||7 to 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||13.8|
|Color(s)||Red and White|
|Feeder schools||Beechwood Elementary School|
Beechwood High School, founded 1860, is operated by an "independent" school district, which in Kentucky refers to a district that is independent of a county. Most school districts in the state coincide exactly with county boundaries. The Beechwood district is unique in that the high school is directly run by the district superintendent, Dr. Stacy. This school is a relatively small school with roughly 100 students in each graduating class. The school's mascot is the Tiger. Although the high school is listed as 7th-12th grade, an elementary (grades K-6) also exists in the same building. The building as a whole is the Beechwood Independent School District.
Awards and recognition
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (May 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
This school has been frequently ranked high in the state on the [K-Prep Tests]. Also they have received "What Parents Want" award, the Commonwealth of Kentucky Quality Award, the First Place OASIS (Outstanding Achievement in School Information Services) Award, and was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Also they have been ranked one of the best high schools in the nation by U.S. News and World Report. They have also received the title of Class A football State Champions 12 times, and the marching band has been crowned state champion five times in 1990, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013. They have received second place in 2005 and 2007 and 2008, and third place in 2009. They also won BOA, Bands of America, Class 'A' in 2006 and 2011, and finished 3rd place in 2008, and 3rd place in 2013.
The School currently has the following teams: Football,Boys' and Girls' track, Boys' and Girls' Cross Country,Archery, Boys' and Girls Basketball, Baseball, Fastpitch Softball, Girls' and Boys' swimming, Boys' and Girls' Golf, Boys' and Girls' Tennis, Volleyballs, and Girls' Soccer.
- 12 Time Kentucky High School Athletic Association CLASS A STATE CHAMPION
- (1984, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2016)
- 2016 State Champion
- 2015 State Runner-Up
- 2008 State Champion
- 2007 State Champion
- 2004 State Champion
- 2003 State Runner-Up
- 2002 State Runner-Up
- 1999 State Champion
- 1997 State Champion
- 1996 State Champion
- 1995 State Runner-Up
- 1994 State Champion
- 1993 State Champion
- 1992 State Champion
- 1991 State Champion
- 1984 State Champion
- 1974 State Runner-Up
The Bands of Beechwood High School have achieved many accolades over the years. Most notably, the Marching Tigers have achieved the heights of the State Finals 18 times (the fifth highest total in state history), winning the Kentucky Class A State Championship eight times. They have also been awarded the Mid States Band Association Class A Championship three times and the Bands of America Class A National Championship twice. Currently, Austin Bralley is the director of bands. Jacob Slone is the associate director of bands.
- 2 TIME BANDS OF AMERICA CLASS A NATIONAL CHAMPION (2006, 2011)
- 8 TIME KENTUCKY MUSIC EDUCATORS ASSOCIATION CLASS A STATE CHAMPION (1990, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016)
- 2016 Class A State Champion
- 2015 Class A State Champion
- 2015 Bands of America Class A 2nd Place
- 2014 Class A State Finalist
- 2013 Class A State Champion
- 2013 Bands of America Class A 3rd Place
- 2012 Class A State Champion
- 2011 Class A State Champion
- 2011 Bands of America Class A National Champion
- 2010 Class A State Champion
- 2009 Class A State Finalist
- 2008 Class A State Finalist
- 2008 Bands of America Class A 3rd Place
- 2007 Class A State Finalist
- 2006 Class A State Champion
- 2006 Bands of America Class A National Champion
- 2005 Class A State Finalist
- 2004 Class A Mid States Band Association Champion
- 2003 Class A Mid States Band Association Champion
- 2002 Class A Mid States Band Association Champion
- 1996 Class AAA State Finalist
- 1992 Class AA State Finalist
- 1991 Class AA State Finalist
- 1990 Class A State Champion
- 1988 Class AA State Finalist
- 1987 Class AA State Finalist
- 1986 Class A State Finalist
- Consistently Northern Kentucky Select Jazz Band
- 2008 Select Jazz Finalist - Chicago
2013-2014: 13 Middle School Select Band Members, 35+ High school.
Currently there are two science labs, three computer labs, 2 gymnasiums, a commons/theatre, lunchroom, a baseball/softball/soccer field, two band rooms, a band practice lot (part of parking lot), an artificial turf football, baseball, and soccer field, a field house which contains locker rooms, a weight room, coach offices, public restrooms, and a teacher gym. Also, the school has facilities to teach Spanish, French, and Latin. It also offers several AP (Advanced Placement) College Credit Courses.
- "Beechwood High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 2008-05-10.
Students: 575 (2005-2006)
- Beechwood High School Directory Entry - (# 15). Kentucky High School Athletic Association. Retrieved on 2008-05-10.
- About us. Beechwood Independent School District. Retrieved on 2008-05-10.
- Best High Schools 2008 Search. US News and World Report. Retrieved on 2008-05-10.