Beek's Place is a location in North Eastern Orange County California, elevation 2820ft.
Beek's Place is adjacent to ruins near the junction of Black Star Canyon and the Main Divide truck trail. It is approximately 8 miles from the Black Star trail head, or about 6 miles from the Skyline Drive trail head in Corona, California.
The ruins are what is left of a building belonging to a Mr. Joseph "Joe" Beek, who served as the Newport Harbor Master for a short time. In 1919, he obtained the franchise for the Balboa Island Ferry which remains in the family to this day. He also served as secretary of the California State Senate, until his death in 1968. Joseph Beek secured the rights from Newport Beach to establish the ferry service in 1919 to Balboa Island. He used a small skiff to transport passengers.
The main cabin was built during the 1930s, and the smaller one shortly thereafter. They each had one room. The smaller one was built for a caretaker. Although the family only used it on weekends, sometimes a caretaker would live there for up to a few months at a time. The family still goes there on occasion, but due to constant vandalism and theft, it became impossible to maintain.
All the coniferous trees were planted by the family. A system of cisterns can be seen around the area for water storage which made it possible to grow the trees. One cistern down from the main cabin was used as a swimming pool.
Beeks Place is popular as a destination and stopover within the mountain bike community. Ride Details shown are for "up and down" as most riders do, however it is also the route to Four Corners or the Silverado Motorway. The ride goal of one-hour "gate to gate" from Blackstar Canyon Road is easily accomplished by seasoned mountain bike riders, and a good climbing test of leg strength and endurance.
- "The mystery above Black Star Canyon", Orange County Register, Monday, February 2, 2009.
- "‘Round, round, round, round, we get around…", Orange County Register, August 21, 2006.
- Joseph Beek listing on FreeBase
- Map: Coordinates:
- The mystery above Black Star Canyon
- Balboa Island Museum
- Beek's Place Geocache GCPJPQ
- Joseph Beek in OC Register
- Feb 2009 OC Register article
- Flickr Search Results with Beek's Place pictures
- SoCal Trail Riders visit to Beek's Place
- Nordstrom Fine Arts Landscape Photography Page and pictures from Beek's Place
- 4x4Xplor Coverage of the area