Beer in Hong Kong
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The history of beer in Hong Kong dates back to the mid-19th century. Currently the best selling beer is San Miguel, brewed by San Miguel Brewery Hong Kong. San Miguel has been brewed in Sham Tseng since 1948 and later moved to Yuen Long until 2007. The brewery was reopened in 2009.
Carlsberg was also brewed in Tai Po since the 1980s until recently. Blue Girl Beer, a brand owned by the Hong Kong-based trading and distribution company Jebsen & Co., is brewed in South Korea under supervision of Jebsen & Co.
International craft beer and microbrews have seen a rise in popularity since 2010, with specialty and premium beer from countries such as Belgium, the UK, Australia, the USA and Japan being more widely available. This has led to the formation of the Craft Beer Association of Hong Kong, made up of distributors, consumers, retailers, bars & restaurants.
'Hong Kong Beer' was started in 2003 and is the first native Hong Kong brewery and brand. A local craft brewery is Typhoon Brewery on Lantau Island. Due to changes in alcohol licensing legislation implemented in the year 2000, brewing beer at home using small scale equipment and ingredients, commonly referred to as "home brewing", is now permissible in Hong Kong within limits.
|Brewery Name||Chinese Name||Established||Closed||Brewery Location||Notes|
|Black Kite Brewery||黑鳶||2015||Wong Chuk Hang|||
|City Brew||城釀||2014||Kwai Chung|
|Fat Rooster Brewing||肥雞啤酒||2014||Wong Chuk Hang|
|Gweilo Beer||鬼佬啤酒||2015||Chai Wan|
|Heroes Beer Co.||人一世物一世點都要做一次啤酒英雄有限公司||2016||Central|
|Hitachino Nest Beer Hong Kong||常陸野貓頭鷹啤酒||2016||Fo Tan||Local brewery for a brand based in Naka-shi, Ibaraki, Japan|
|Hong Kong Beer Co.||香港啤酒有限公司||1995||Chai Wan||Formerly the South China Brewing Company.|
|Hong Kong Whistle||吹啤啤||2016||Ngau Tau Kok|
|Kowloon Bay Brewery||九龍灣釀酒廠||2015||Tsuen Wan|||
|Lion Rock Brewery||獅子山啤||2015||Kwai Chung|
|Little Creatures Brewing||-||2000||Kennedy Town||Local brewery for Fremantle-based Little World Beverages (a wholly owned subsidiary of Lion Nathan)|
|Mak's Beer||麥氏釀酒||2014||Tsuen Wan|
|Meow Beer||貓啤||2015||Kwun Tong|
|Moonzen Brewery||門神啤酒||2014||Kwun Tong|||
|Nine Dragons Brewery||九龍啤酒||2013||Sheung Wan|
|San Miguel Brewery||生力啤||1948||Yuen Long||Facility closed in 2007, re-open in 2009|
|The Artist Brewery||-||2015||Wong Chuk Hang||Made in Belgium|
|Typhoon Brewery||颱風酒廠||2009||2014||Mui Wo||The first brewery in Hong Kong to make English-style cask ale.|
|Yardley Brothers||-||2014||Kwai Hing|||
|Young Master Ales||少爺麥啤||2013||Ap Lei Chau|||
Blue Girl Beer（藍妹啤酒）
- Beer and breweries by region
- Lan Kwai Fong
- Oktoberfest Hong Kong
- Craft Beer Association of Hong Kong
- Bestbev HK Ltd.
- "Craft beers come to Hong Kong". Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- "Typhoon microbrewery storms Hong Kong". Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- "DUTIABLE COMMODITIES ORDINANCE".
- "Official Homepage". Black Kite Brewery. (Hong Kong) Ltd. Retrieved 17 January 2017.
- "Official Website". Hong Kong Beer Co. Hong Kong Beer Co. Retrieved 17 January 2017.
- "Official Website". Kowloon Bay Brewery. Kowloon Bay Brewery. Retrieved 17 January 2017.
- "Official Website". Little Creatures. Little Creatures. Retrieved 17 January 2017.
- "Official Website". Moonzen Brewery. Moonzen Brewery. Retrieved 17 January 2017.
- DeWolf, Christopher. "Typhoon microbrewery storms Hong Kong". CNN Travel. CNN. Retrieved 17 January 2017.
- "Official Website". Yardley Brothers. Yardley Brothers. Retrieved 17 January 2017.
- "Official Website". Young Master Ales. Young Master Ales. Retrieved 17 January 2017.