Beer in Indonesia
Beer in Indonesia started in 1929, when the Heineken beer company established its first brewery factory in Surabaya, East Java, during Dutch colonial rule of Indonesia. This was one of the earliest beer enterprise in Southeast Asia. In July 1931 the Archipel Brouweriji Compagnie (Archipelago Brewery Co.) was formed in Batavia (now known as Jakarta), by German brewer, Beck's, constructing breweries in both Singapore and Batavia. By 1960s, Indonesians developed their own local brands of beer, which includes Bintang Beer (nationalized from Heineken) and Anker Beer.
As a Muslim majority country, alcohol industry faces ongoing opposition from Islamic parties and pressure groups in the country. Islamic dietary law prescribed prohibition against alcohol consumption. Because of various regulations, alcohol sales are declining in Indonesia.
Currently, PT Multi Bintang Indonesia Tbk is the largest domestic brewery of Indonesia, with its Bintang Beer leading the market as the largest selling beer of Indonesia. Multi Bintang Indonesia lead the Indonesian beer market with a commanding total volume share of over 61% in 2012.
Multi Bintang is a subsidiary of Heineken Asia Pacific. In 2011, Bintang Beer won the Gold Medal for Lager Beer Category and awarded 'Champion Beer 2011' at the world's class beer competition, the Brewing Industry International Award (BIIA 2011) in London. In 2014 Bintang Radler was introduced which was the first flavoured beer produced domestically in Indonesia.
Other major beer producers are Delta Djakarta known for its Anker Beer, and PT Bali Hai Brewery Indonesia known for its Bali Hai. Indonesia also produced under license other brands including San Miguel Beer and Asahi beer.
- "The history of Heineken" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 26 May 2011. Retrieved 12 May 2011.
- "Two Breweries for Singapore". The Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser. 2 January 1932. p. 22.
- Giras Pasopati, CNN Indonesia. "Dilarang di Minimarket, Saham Bir Bintang dan Anker Meriang". Cnnindonesia.com. Retrieved 5 November 2015.
- "Beer in Indonesia". Euromonitor.com. Retrieved 5 November 2015.
- "Issue of the day: Bill terrifies alcohol industry". The Jakarta Post. 3 September 2015. Retrieved 5 November 2015.
- Alex De Angelis (12 September 2013). "Indonesian beer market led by Bir Bintang". Yahoo! Finance Companiesandmarkets.com.
- "Welcome to the International Brewing Awards, incorporating The International Cider Awards". Brewing Awards. Retrieved 5 November 2015.[permanent dead link]
- Category: Branding & Retail. "Pack Web Asia – APB completes acquisition of Indonesia's Bintang Beer". Dev2.packwebasia.com. Archived from the original on 18 May 2015. Retrieved 5 November 2015.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "8 of the Best Beers in Southeast Asia". Goseasia.about.com. Retrieved 5 November 2015.
- Delta Djakarta Tbk PT. "DLTA:Indonesia Stock Quote – Delta Djakarta Tbk PT – Bloomberg Markets". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 5 November 2015.
- "Company: About us". Bali Hai Brewery. Archived from the original on 18 November 2015.