Before We Go
|Before We Go|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Chris Evans|
Karen Elise Baldwin
William J. Immerman
|Music by||Chris Westlake|
|Edited by||John Axelrad|
Before We Go is a 2014 American independent romantic drama film directed by Chris Evans in his directorial debut, and starring Evans, Alice Eve, and Mark Kassen. The film had its world premiere in the special presentations section of the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival. The film was released on video on demand on July 21, 2015, and had a limited release on September 4, 2015 in the United States by Radius-TWC.
While busking in Grand Central Terminal, Nick Vaughan (Chris Evans) sees a woman, Brooke (Alice Eve), drop her phone while running to catch a train. She misses the train and returns to the station where Nick returns her broken phone. When he finds her standing outside the terminal she confesses that she has just been robbed and is trapped in the city. He offers to pay for a cab to take her to Boston but his credit cards are declined. When he tries to call a friend to come loan him the money he finds his phone has died. Nick offers to try to pay for a room for Brooke for the night, but she insists that she needs to reach Boston by morning.
Nick decides to help Brooke find her missing purse. They are able to track it down at a sweatshop that deals in stolen purses, but for his efforts to retrieve the purse Nick is punched in the face. They head for the wedding of a friend of Nick's, hoping to borrow money, but instead end up at an event where they are mistaken for members of the band. Nick and Brooke perform My Funny Valentine and flee when the real band shows up. After their last-ditch attempt to get a bus to Boston fails for lack of funds, Brooke borrows a man's phone, calls a friend, and begs her to retrieve a letter she has left for her husband that she does not want him to read.
Elated that her problem is now solved, Brooke offers to go to Nick's friend's wedding and pretend to be his girlfriend in front of his ex, Hannah. At the reception, Nick sees Hannah, but after being introduced to her new boyfriend, he leaves abruptly. Outside Nick tells Brooke that this was the first time he had seen Hannah since she rejected his marriage proposal and broke up with him six years ago. At Brooke's insistence, Nick goes back to speak to Hannah and discovers that she is pregnant and that their relationship is truly over. Wandering around the city, the two find a psychic who is still open. After he reads her future, he allows Brooke to use his phone and she learns her friend could not get into her home to retrieve the letter.
After they leave the psychic, Brooke reveals to Nick that she discovered that her husband was cheating on her. Though he ended the relationship, she discovered that he was going to see his mistress again. Devastated, she wrote him a letter ending the marriage and went to New York for work. However, during her trip she received a phone call from her husband saying he was coming home early and realized that he had ended the relationship for good.
At a restaurant Nick tells Brooke that her husband will most likely understand that what he did was wrong and that if he doesn't, that's that. They then go to Nick's friend's hotel room. Together they write on the back of paintings in the room (a reference to an earlier encounter with a painting with erotic writing on the back of it). They then share a kiss and reflect on their night.
In the morning they return to the train station where they are about to part. Suddenly, Nick picks up a phone from a phone booth and, like an earlier joke, uses it as a "time machine" and pretends to call himself, saying that he will meet a woman that he should stay with for the night. They share one last kiss and finally depart. On her way home, Brooke finds a guest service paper that she and Nick filled out at the hotel. On the bottom it says "turn over," and after doing so, she smiles at what she reads, though the message itself is left ambiguous.
- Chris Evans as Nick Vaughan
- Alice Eve as Brooke Dalton
- Emma Fitzpatrick as Hannah Dempsey
- Mark Kassen as Danny
- Daniel Spink as Tyler
- Elijah Moreland as Cole
- John Cullum as Harry
- Scott Evans as Concierge
The film is scored by Chris Westlake.
The film had its world premiere at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival on September 12, 2014. Prior to the premiere it was announced Radius-TWC had acquired all distribution rights to the film. The film then went on to screen at the Seattle International Film Festival on May 22, 2015. The film was released on video on demand on July 21, 2015, and in theaters in a limited release on September 4, 2015.
Before We Go was released on DVD and Blu-ray on November 3, 2015 and was added to Netflix Instant Streaming on March 1, 2016.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 21% based on 28 reviews, with an average rating of 4/10. On Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating to reviews, the film has a weighted average score of 31 out of 100, based on 10 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".
- Setoodeh, Ramin (March 25, 2014). "'Captain America's' Chris Evans Says He's Ready to Leave Acting Behind". Variety. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- "Before We Go (2015)". The Numbers. Retrieved November 30, 2017.
- "Toronto Film Festival Lineup". Variety. Retrieved July 22, 2014.
- Ron Bass (July 20, 2015). "Before We Go". ComingSoon.net.
- "Before We Go Trailer Starring Chris Evans and Alice Eve". Collider.
- Scott Foundas (September 12, 2014). "Toronto Film Review: 'Before We Go'". Variety. Retrieved January 9, 2015.
- Fleming Jr., Mike. "Chris Evans To Helm '1:30 Train' Before Reprising Captain America In 'Avengers 2'". Deadline. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- McNary, Dave. "Alice Eve Boards Chris Evans' '1:30 Train'". Variety. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- Maresca, Rachel. "Chris Evans spotted on cozy dinner date with co-star Alice Eve". NY Daily News. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- Linda Barnard. "TIFF shows strength with first batch of 2014 premieres". Toronto Star. Retrieved July 23, 2014.
- Greg Gilman. "Captain America Cozies Up With Alice Eve in First Look at Chris Evans' Directorial Debut (Photo)". Yahoo. Retrieved July 23, 2014.
- "Chris Westlake to Score Chris Evans' 'Before We Go'". filmmusicreporter.com. July 25, 2014. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- Toronto International Film Festival. "TIFF.net - Before We Go". TIFF. Archived from the original on July 5, 2015.
- Michele Debczak (September 11, 2014). "RADiUS-TWC Nabs Chris Evans' Directorial Debut, 'Before W - Indiewire". Indiewire.
- "Before We Go". Seattle International Film Festival.
- "Before We Go DVD and Blu-ray". dvdsreleasedates.com. Retrieved December 16, 2015.
- "Before We Go (2015)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved November 30, 2016.
- "Before We Go reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved November 30, 2017.