Before We Were So Rudely Interrupted
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Before We Were So Rudely Interrupted|
|Studio album by|
|Studio||Rolling Stones Mobile Studio, Goulds Farm|
|Genre||Rock, blues rock, rhythm and blues|
Jet/United Artists (USA)
|The Original Animals chronology|
|Rolling Stone Record Guide|
Before We Were So Rudely Interrupted is a 1977 reunion album from The Animals, billed here as The Original Animals.
This was a reunion of the five original Animals from the group's first incarnation — Eric Burdon, Alan Price, Hilton Valentine, Chas Chandler, and John Steel, in their first recording sessions, (and save for a one-off concert in 1968, their first musical project at all) since 1965. Bassist Chandler produced the effort using his Barn Records team.
The album has received strong critical notices. Rolling Stone writer Dave Marsh called it "a surprisingly successful [...] one-shot, with the original group, again dominated by Price and Burdon, turning in fine, hard-nosed blues performances." Bruce Eder of Allmusic judged it "just short of a lost classic." The Italian e-zine Viceversa ranked it #42 on their top 100 albums of all time.
However, record company promotion for the album was weak, no tour was held, and the sound was out of time with the popularity of disco and punk rock; it thus reached only #70 on the U.S. pop albums chart, #24 in Netherlands and did not chart at all in the UK.
- Side one
- "Brother Bill (The Last Clean Shirt)" (Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller, Clyde Otis) - 3:18
- "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" (Bob Dylan) - 4:39
- "Fire on the Sun" (Shaky Jake aka James D. Harris) - 2:23
- "As the Crow Flies" (Jimmy Reed) - 3:37
- "Please Send Me Someone to Love" (Percy Mayfield) - 4:44
- Side two
- "Many Rivers to Cross" (Jimmy Cliff) - 4:06
- "Just a Little Bit" (John Thornton, Ralph Bass, Earl Washington, Piney Brown) - 2:04
- "Riverside County" (Eric Burdon, Alan Price, Hilton Valentine, Chas Chandler, John Steel) - 3:46
- "Lonely Avenue" (Doc Pomus) - 5:16
- "The Fool" (Naomi Ford, Lee Hazlewood) - 3:24
- The Original Animals
- Eric Burdon – vocals
- Alan Price – keyboards
- Hilton Valentine – guitar
- Chas Chandler – bass
- John Steel – drums
- Alan O'Duffy - engineer
- Paul Hardiman - mix engineer
- Jo Mirowski - design
- Terry O'Neill - photography
- "The Original Animals* - Before We Were So Rudely Interrupted". Discogs. Retrieved 25 August 2018.
- "Before We Were So Rudely Interrupted - The Animals - Songs, Reviews, Credits - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 25 August 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-06-25. Retrieved 2007-03-25.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)