|Product type||Pet food and snacks|
|Owner||Nestlé Purina PetCare|
|Produced by||Nestlé Purina PetCare|
|Previous owners||Ralston Purina|
Beggin’ Strips is a brand of pet food and pet snack manufactured by Nestlé Purina PetCare. The product was first manufactured by Ralston Purina. The product's tagline is "Dogs Don't Know It's Not Bacon," which appeared in U.S. television commercials in the 1990s. The product is manufactured to resemble bacon strips.
Beggin' Strips were first sold in 1993. Nestlé Purina started off by selling this product in North America.
Purina Beggin' Strips contain some bacon and include other ingredients such as sodium nitrite and BHA as preservatives and corn gluten meal, wheat flour, ground yellow corn, water, sugar, glycerin, soybean meal, hydrogenated starch hydrolysate, phosphoric acid, sorbic acid, natural and artificial smoke flavors. The product comes in a variety of flavors.
The trademark bag for the product features a cartoon dog licking his chops while awaiting a treat. Drawn up in 1994, the dog was named "Hamlet." Hamlet was chosen to appear in Nestlé Purina's advertising for Beggin' Strips, and to represent the product.
Purina holds an annual pet parade around the time of Mardi Gras. The Parade, originally sponsored by Purina Beggin’ Strips, and now a general Purina event, is held every year in Soulard, a historic French neighborhood in St. Louis, Missouri with over 5,000 pets and their owners in attendance. St. Louis' Waterloo Courier also covered the Beggin' Strips Stupid Dog Contest on July 4, 1999. In prior years, the contest offered multiple monetary prizes, the grand prize being a $5,000 supply of Beggin' Strips per year and a trip to see the Late Show with David Letterman in New York.
- Oatley, D. (2005). 88% of Americans Are Abnormal: The Bentinel Takes a Skewed Look at the News. Silver Lake Publishing. p. 138. ISBN 978-1-56343-789-2. Retrieved December 1, 2016.
- "Class Members Don't Know It's Not Bacon. It's BACON!". Bloomberg BNA. August 18, 2016. Retrieved December 1, 2016.
- "Purina Beggin".
- "Beggin Strips History". Knol.[permanent dead link]
- "Beggin' Time". Archived from the original on 2012-03-29.
- "Beggin' Strips | Purina Treats". www.purinatreats.com. Retrieved 2019-06-07.
- "Pet Food Industry". Archived from the original on 2013-01-31.
- "Take your crew to a Mardi Gras". Daily Herald. Middletown, New York. December 12, 2004. p. 94. Archived from the original on July 12, 2012. Retrieved 17 March 2017.
- "Blues Puppy to Grand Marshal St. Louis' Mardi Gras Pet Parade". KMOX-AM. 2019-01-30. Retrieved 2019-05-29.
- "Pooches nationwide put best paws forward". Waterloo Courier. July 4, 1999. p. 35. Archived from the original on July 16, 2012. Retrieved 17 March 2017.
- Guide to Trademark Trial and Appeal Board Practice. Wolters Kluwer Law & Business. 2007. pp. 6–96.2. ISBN 978-0-7355-6531-9. Retrieved December 1, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Beggin' Strips.|