Begin the Beguine (film)
|Volver a Empezar|
|Directed by||José Luis Garci|
|Produced by||José Luis Garci|
|Written by||José Luis Garci
|Music by||Johann Pachelbel
|Edited by||Miguel González Sinde|
|Box office||ESP 190,713,512 (Spain)|
Begin the Beguine (Spanish: Volver a Empezar) is a 1982 Spanish film written and directed by José Luis Garci, starring Antonio Ferrandis. The plot follows the story of a Spaniard who returns to his homeland after many years in exile when he wins the Nobel Prize in literature. Its original Spanish title is Volver a Empezar, which means Starting Again.
It is the year 1981, the famous writer Antonio Albajara (Antonio Ferrandis) arrives at Gijón, his hometown, from Stockholm, where he has just received the Nobel Prize in Literature. For forty years, Albajara has been a professor of medieval literature at the University of California, Berkeley. He has alternated his teaching with the literary production that has given him worldwide fame. In Gijón, Antonio is reunited with Elena, his first and great love, before he was forced to his exile in 1937 Civil War. However, this visit is not definitive because a serious and deadly disease affects the writer.
- Antonio Ferrandis - Antonio Albajara
- Encarna Paso - Elena
- Agustín González - Gervasio Losada
- José Bódalo - Roxu
- Marta Fernández Muro - Carolina
- Pablo Hoyos - Ernesto
- Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film (1983)
- Prize of the Ecumenical Jury at the Montreal Film Festival (1982)
- List of submissions to the 55th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Spanish submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "The 55th Academy Awards (1983) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
|This 1980s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a Spanish film of the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|