|Lake type||Natural Freshwater|
|Native name||बेगनास ताल|
|Primary inflows||Syankhudi & Talbesi|
|Primary outflows||Khudi Khola|
|Catchment area||49 km2 (19 sq mi)|
|Surface area||3.28 km2 (1.3 sq mi)|
|Average depth||6.6 m (22 ft)|
|Max. depth||10 m (33 ft)|
|Water volume||0.02905 km3 (0.00697 cu mi)|
|Surface elevation||650 m (2,133 ft)|
Begnas Lake is a freshwater lake in Pokhara Lekhnath Metropolis of Kaski district of Nepal located in the south-east of the Pokhara Valley. The lake is the third largest lake of Nepal and second largest, after Phewa lake, among the eight lakes in Pokhara Valley. Water level in the lake fluctuates seasonally due to rain, and utilization for irrigation. The water level is regulated through a dam constructed in 1988 on the western outlet stream, Khudi Khola.
Begnas Lake area with a number of resorts is a popular destination for tourists visiting Pokhara. The water from the lake is used for irrigation and some parts of the lake are used as caged fisheries. The Begnas lake area has a number of swampy areas around it, many of which have been converted to paddy fields day by day.
- Oli, Krishna Prasad (1997). A local level conservation strategy for Begnas and Rupa lake watershed area. Kathmandu, Nepal: International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources, Nepal. Rāshṭriya Yojanā Āyoga, Nepal National Conservation Strategy Implementation Programme.
- National Lake Conservation Development Committee (2010). Conservation of Begnas Lake, Nepal: A Case of Conflict to Collective Action in Resource Sharing (Multiple Water Use) (PDF). Shiga University, Japan: Outline of Lake Basin Governance Research Promotion Activities, 2008-2010.
- Rai, Ash Kumar (2000). "Limnological characteristics of subtropical Lakes Phewa, Begnas, and Rupa in Pokhara Valley, Nepal". Limnology. 1 (1): 33–46. doi:10.1007/s102010070027.
- "Seven Vanishing Lakes of Lekhnath". Ekantipur.com. 2 April 2010. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- D. B, Swar; Gurung, T. B. (1988). "Introduction and cage culture of exotic carps and their impact on fish harvested in Lake Begnas, Nepal" (PDF). Hydrobiologia. 166 (3): 277–283. doi:10.1007/BF00008137. ISSN 1573-5117.
- Kawamura, Masahiro (June 2011). "One Village One Product agrotourism promotion: Perceptions of visitors to Begnas area". JICA. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-04-08.
- Wagle, Suresh Kumar; Gurung, Tek Bahadur; Bista, Jay Dev; Rai, Ash Kumar (July–September 2007). "Cage fish culture and fisheries for food security and livelihoods in mid hill lakes of Pokhara Valley, Nepal: Post community based management adoption" (PDF). Aquaculture Asia. 12 (3): 21–29. ISSN 0859-600X.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Begnas Lake.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Pokhara#b/.|
|This Nepalese location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|