Begum Rokeya University
|বেগম রোকেয়া বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়, রংপুর|
|University Of Rangpur|
Motto in English
|Knowledge is Power|
|Endowment||Publicly Funded by Government (1 Billion BDT per year excluding Development funds)|
|Budget||1 Billion BDT per year|
Officer in charge
|Chancellor||President of Bangladesh|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Dr. Nazmul Ahsan Kalimullah|
|203 (December 2015)|
|623 (December 2015)|
|Students||7,120 (December 2015)|
|Undergraduates||4,834 (December 2015)|
|Postgraduates||2,286 (December 2015)|
|Campus||Urban , 75 acres (30 ha), Adjacent to Carmichael College and Rangpur Cadet College|
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission of Bangladesh|
Begum Rokeya University, Rangpur (BRUR), formerly Rangpur University, is a government-financed public state university in Bangladesh. It is the only general categorised university in Rangpur Division and also the second public university in the region. The university has been named after the feminist writer and social worker Begum Rokeya. It is the 30th public university of Bangladesh. It was established on 8 October 2008 under Begum Rokeya University Act, 2009(2009–29).
- 1 Campus
- 2 History
- 3 Administration
- 4 Academics
- 5 Central Library and Information Center
- 6 Institute
- 7 Organizations and clubs
- 8 Political organisations
- 9 Residential halls
- 10 Infrastructures
- 11 Facilities
- 12 List of vice-chancellors
- 13 References
- 14 External links
The university is located between Rangpur Cadet College and Carmichael College in Rangpur. It covers an area of 75 acres (30 ha). The university has constructed four academic building and started class from August 2011 in the main campus. Currently, the university has twenty-one departments and amount of student is almost seven thousand. It contains three student halls (including two male and one female). There is a library and a cafeteria in the campus.
Since 1947, a university in this region has been a long cherished dream. A popular demand for a kind of university which can reach out to a large number of students desiring higher education in this vast region has always been intensely felt but has never been fulfilled. In 2001, the then Prime Minister, Sheikh Hasina laid the foundations of Rangpur University of Science and Technology. However, later on the establishment was cancelled. It was not until August 2007 when Fakhruddin Ahmed, Chief Advisor of the Caretaker Government, agreed in principle to establish a full-fledged university in Rangpur. Finally, Fakhruddin Ahmad, in a historic cabinet meeting held in Rangpur on 2 February 2008, took the decision to establish a University in Rangpur. The Rangpur University Ordinance was approved by the cabinet on 15 June 2008. M. Lutfar Rahman was appointed the first vice-chancellor on 20 October 2008. Two days later Hossain Zillur Rahman, the then Education and Commerce Advisor to the Caretaker Government formally inaugurated the university.
- The Chancellor of the University
Md. Abdul Hamid
President, The People's Republic of Bangladesh.
- The Vice-Chancellor of the University
Professor Dr. Nazmul Ahsan Kalimullah
- The Pro Vice-Chancellor of the University
- Registrar of the University
Md. Ibrahim Kabir
- Treasurer of the University
- Proctor of the University
Mir Tamanna Siddika
- Provosts of the University
1.Komolesh Chandra Sarkar
Provost,Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Hall.
2.Md. Amir Sharif
Provost,Sohid Mukhtar Ali Hall.
Provost, Sheikh Fazilatunnesa Mujib Hall.
Faculties and departments
- BRUR has 21 departments under 6 faculties.
Faculty of Arts
- Department of Bangla
- Department of English
- Department of History and Archaeology
Faculty of Social Science
- Department of Economics
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Women and Gender Studies
- Department of Mass Communication and Journalism
- Department of Public Administration
Faculty of Business Studies
- Department of Accounting and Information Systems
- Department of Management Studies
- Department of Marketing
- Department of Finance and Banking
Faculty of Science
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Statistics
Faculty of Engineering & Technology
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
Faculty of Life and Earth Sciences
- Department of Geography and Environmental Science
- Department of Disaster Management
BRUR enrolls undergraduate students. Students who want to get admission into BRUR need to pass and compete on the merit list in the admission test which is highly competitive. Admission tests are arranged by the University under authority of admission council for all faculties.
Statistics Based on Academic Year 2014–15 Admission :
Total application : 90,402 Total Seats Available : 1,258 Average applicant to seat ratio is 72:1. Acceptance rate : 1.39%
The academic year consists of two semesters. Academic courses are based on credit system. Resuit scale is out of 4. 80℅-100%= 4. Per course includes 3.00 credits and at last semester there is also a compulsory thesis for each student including 6 credits.
Central Library and Information Center
The Central Library and Information Center (CLIC) of Begum Rokeya University was established on 12 October 2008 with an aim to support the instructional and research programs of the University. The vice-chancellor of the University opened all activities of CLIC on 19 November 2009. Initially, CLIC started functioning at the temporary campus of the University (Teachers' Training College, Rangpur). It was shifted to the permanent campus on 19 March 2011. This library & Information centre has large reading rooms with huge resources such as books, journals, periodicals etc.
Dr. Wazed Research Institute
Organizations and clubs
- Bangladesh Udichi Shilpigosthi-Begum Rokeya University Sangsod 
- Charan Sangskritik Kendro
- Begum Rokeya University Film Society (BRUFS)
- Biggan Andolon Moncho
- Bangladesh Open Science Organization
- Bitorko Chorcha Kendro
- Begum Rokeya University Debating Association (BRUDA)
- Begum Rokeya University Geographers Association (BRUGA)
- Marketing Eye
- Management Club
- Begum Rokeya University Photographers Club (BRUPC)
- GES Sports Club
- Agnisnan [Musical Band]
- Life is Beautiful
- English Cultural Society (ECS)
- Bangladesh Chatra League
- Jatiyo Chatra Somaj
- Bangladesh Jatiotabadi Chatra Dal
- Student Union
- Somajtantrik Chatro Front
Halls for male students
- Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Hall
- Sohid Mukhtar Elahi Hall
Halls for female students
- Sheikh Fazilatunnesa Mujib Hall
- Sheikh Hasina Hall (Under Constriction)
- Liberation Monument
- Sohid Minar
- 4 Academic Buildings
- Central Library
- Wazed Mia Research Institute
- 1 Administrative Building
- Only full fledged Public University in Rangpur Division, Very low tuition fees
- In campus medical facilities
- Residential male & female halls
- Own Bus Transportation Service
- Central library with Computer lab & seminar libraries in departments
- Central Mosque
List of vice-chancellors
|M. Lutfar Rahman||20 October 2008||7 May 2009|
|"Mohammad Abdul Jalil Miah||8 May 2009||7 May 2013|
|A.K. M. Nurun Nabi||8 May 2013||5 May 2017|
|Professor Dr. Nazmul Ahsan Kalimullah||1 June 2017||Present|
- "Begum Rokeya University begins academic activities". The Financial Express. Dhaka. Retrieved 15 May 2012.
- "Rangpur University Launched". Star Campus. The Daily Star. 15 April 2009.
- "New Rangpur University gets VC". bdnews24.com. 20 October 2008.
- বেগম রোকেয়া বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের ভর্তি পরীক্ষার কেন্দ্রের নাম ও ঠিকানা. Lekha Pora (in Bengali).
- "Prof Jalil made Begum Rokeya University VC". The Daily Star. 10 May 2009. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- "Nurun Nabi new VC of Rokeya Univ". bdnews24.com. 6 May 2013.
- "বেগম রোকেয়া বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের ভাইস চ্যান্সেলর নিয়োগ আদেশ। |Ministry of Education- | শিক্ষা মন্ত্রণালয়-গণপ্রজাতন্ত্রী বাংলাদেশ সরকার". moedu.portal.gov.bd. Retrieved 2017-06-07.