Begum Rokeya University
বেগম রোকেয়া বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় রংপুর
|University Of Rangpur|
Motto in English
|Knowledge is Power.|
|Endowment||Publicly funded by Government (1 billion BDT per year excluding development funds)|
|Budget||1 Billion BDT per year|
Officer in charge
|Chancellor||President of Bangladesh|
|Vice-Chancellor||Nazmul Ahsan Kalimullah|
|203 (December 2015)|
|623 (December 2015)|
|Students||7,120 (December 2015)|
|Undergraduates||4,834 (December 2015)|
|Postgraduates||2,286 (December 2015)|
|Campus||Urban , 75 acres (30 ha)|
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission of Bangladesh|
|Sports||Cricket, football, kabaddi|
Begum Rokeya University of Rangpur (BRUR), formerly Rangpur University, is a government-financed public state university in Bangladesh. It is the only general categorised university in Rangpur Division and the second public university in the region. It was named after the feminist writer and social worker Begum Rokeya. It is the 30th public university of Bangladesh. It was established on 8 October 2008 under Begum Rokeya University Act, 2009 (2009–29).
The university is between Rangpur Cadet College and Carmichael College in Rangpur. It covers an area of 75 acres (30 ha). The university has constructed four academic building and started class from August 2011 in the main campus. Currently, the university has 21 departments and almost 7,000 students. It contains three student halls (two male and one female). There is a library and a cafeteria on the campus.
Since 1947, a university in this region has been a long cherished dream. A popular demand for a kind of university that can reach out to a large number of students desiring higher education in this vast region has always been intensely felt but has never been fulfilled. In 2001, the then Prime Minister, Sheikh Hasina, laid the foundations of Rangpur University of Science and Technology. However, later on the establishment was cancelled.
It was not until August 2007 when Fakhruddin Ahmed, chief advisor of the Caretaker Government, agreed in principle to establish a full-fledged university in Rangpur. Fakhruddin Ahmad, in a historic cabinet meeting held in Rangpur on 2 February 2008, took the decision to establish a university in Rangpur. The Rangpur University Ordinance was approved by the cabinet on 15 June 2008. M. Lutfar Rahman was appointed the first vice-chancellor on 20 October 2008. Two days later Hossain Zillur Rahman, the then education and commerce advisor to the Caretaker Government formally inaugurated the university.
- Chancellor: Md. Abdul Hamid, President, The People's Republic of Bangladesh
- Vice-Chancellor: Professor Dr. Major Nazmul Ahsan Kalimullah, BNCCO
- Pro Vice-Chancellor: (vacant)
- Registrar: Md. Ibrahim Kabir
- Treasurer: (vacant)
- Proctor: Md. Atiur Rahman
- BSc (Engineering)
- BSc (Hons.)
- B.A. (Hons.)
- B.B.A. (Hons.)
- B.S.S. (Hons.)
- MSc (Engineering)
Post Graduate programs
- M.B.A. (Evening)
Faculties and departments
BRUR has 21 departments under six faculties.
Faculty of Arts
- Department of Bangla
- Department of English
- Department of History and Archaeology
Faculty of Social Science
- Department of Economics
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Gender and Development Studies
- Department of Mass Communication and Journalism
- Department of Public Administration
Faculty of Business Studies
- Department of Accounting and Information Systems
- Department of Management Studies
- Department of Marketing
- Department of Finance and Banking
Faculty of Science
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Statistics
Faculty of Engineering & Technology
- Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
Faculty of Life and Earth Sciences
- Department of Geography and Environmental Science
- Department of Disaster Management
BRUR enrolls undergraduate students. Students who want to get admitted need to pass and compete on the merit list in the admission test which is highly competitive. Admission tests are arranged by the university under authority of admission council for all faculties.
Statistics based on academic year 2014–15 admission:
- Total applicants: 90,402
- Total seats available: 1,258
- Average applicant to seat ratio: 72:1.
- Acceptance rate: 1.39%
The academic year consists of two semesters. Academic courses are based on a credit system. Result scale is out of 4. 80℅-100%= 4. Per course includes 3.00 credits and at last semester there is a compulsory thesis for each student including 6 credits.
Central Library and Information Center
The Central Library and Information Center (CLIC) of Begum Rokeya University was established on 12 October 2008 with an aim to support the instructional and research programs of the university. The vice-chancellor opened all activities of CLIC on 19 November 2009.
Initially, CLIC started functioning at the temporary campus of the university (Teachers' Training College, Rangpur). It was shifted to the permanent campus on 19 March 2011. This library and information centre has large reading rooms with huge resources such as books, journals, periodicals etc. The director is Dr. Porimol Chandra Barman.
Dr. Wazed Research and Training Institute. MPhil & PhD degrees are offered under this institute.
Organizations and Clubs
- Bangladesh National Cadet Corps (BNCC)
- Begum Rokeya University Rover Scout Group, Rangpur
- Bandhan, Begum Rokeya University Unit, Rangpur Zone.
- Bangladesh Udichi Shilpi Gosthi - Begum Rokeya University Parliament
- Ranan, Begum Rokeya University, Rangpur
- Gungun, Begum Rokeya University, Rangpur
- Creative Society, Begum Rokeya University, Rangpur.
- Women Peace Cafe- Begum Rokeya University, Rangpur
- BRUDA-Begum Rokeya University Debate Association
- Begum Rokeya University Debate Forum - BRUDF
- Show The Creativity, Begum Rokeya University, RangpurUnit
- Green Voice-BRUR
- Begum Rokeya University Science Club
- Addis, Alokito Diner Sondhane
- SILSWA Students for Students, BRUR Wing
- Rotaract Club of Begum Rokeya University, Rangpur
- Uddokta Hat
- Sanjiban, Begum Rokeya University, Rangpur Branch
- Green Touch Organization
- UNYSAB, Rangpur Divisional Wing
- Film & Art Society, BRUR - flas
- BRUR Skill Development Club
- Swapnosirin, BRUR, Rangpur
- Bangladesh Journalism Students Council, BRUR Parliament
- Bandhumancha (Daily Rights) BRUR Branch
- Biswasahitya Kendra, Pathachakra Begum Rokeya University Branch, Rangpur
- Kaler Kantho Shubh Sangha, Begum Rokeya University
- Agnisnan Band, BRUR
- Bhovotori Folk Music Group, BRUR
- AHC (Arise Help for Children)
- Charan Sangskritik Kendro
- EEE Club
- Ambidexter of ETE
- Biggan Andolon Moncho
- Statistics Association
- Economics Students Association
- CSE Club
- Bangladesh Open Science Organization
- Begum Rokeya University Disaster Management Association
- Begum Rokeya University Geographers Association (BRUGA)
- Marketing Eye
- Management Club
- Begum Rokeya University Photographers Club (BRUPC)
- Begum Rokeya University Chess Federation (BRURChess)
- GES Sports Club
- Life Is Beautiful
- English Cultural Society (ECS)
- Bangladesh Chatra League
- Jatiyo Chatra Somaj
- Bangladesh Jatiotabadi Chatra Dal
- Student Union
- Somajtantrik Chatro Front
For male students
- Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Hall
- Sohid Mukhtar Elahi Hall
For female students
- Sheikh Fazilatunnesa Mujib Hall
- Sheikh Hasina Hall (under construction)
- Liberation Monument
- Sohid Minar
- Four academic buildings
- Central Library
- Wazed Mia Research Institute
- Administrative Building
- Only full-fledged Public University in Rangpur Division; very low tuition fees
- In-campus medical facilities
- Own bus transportation service
- Central library with Computer lab & seminar libraries in departments
- Central Mosque
- Cyber Center
List of vice-chancellors
|M. Lutfar Rahman||20 October 2008||7 May 2009|
|Mohammad Abdul Jalil Miah||8 May 2009||7 May 2013|
|A.K. M. Nurun Nabi||8 May 2013||5 May 2017|
|Nazmul Ahsan Kalimullah||1 June 2017||Present|
- "www.infobuzz24.com". Archived from the original on 11 May 2015. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- "Begum Rokeya University begins academic activities". The Financial Express. Dhaka. Archived from the original on 1 October 2011. Retrieved 15 May 2012.
- "Rangpur University Launched". Star Campus. The Daily Star. 15 April 2009.
- "New Rangpur University gets VC". bdnews24.com. 20 October 2008.
- বেগম রোকেয়া বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের ভর্তি পরীক্ষার কেন্দ্রের নাম ও ঠিকানা. Lekha Pora (in Bengali).
- "Prof Jalil made Begum Rokeya University VC". The Daily Star. 10 May 2009. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- "Nurun Nabi new VC of Rokeya Univ". bdnews24.com. 6 May 2013.
- "বেগম রোকেয়া বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের ভাইস চ্যান্সেলর নিয়োগ আদেশ। |Ministry of Education- | শিক্ষা মন্ত্রণালয়-গণপ্রজাতন্ত্রী বাংলাদেশ সরকার". moedu.portal.gov.bd. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Begum Rokeya University.|