Behaviour (Saga album)
|Studio album by Saga|
|Genre||Rock, progressive rock|
|Producer||Saga and Peter Walsh|
Behaviour is the sixth studio album by the Canadian progressive rock band Saga, and was originally released in 1985, two years after the moderately successful Heads or Tales. Behaviour was itself successful, and managed to outsell its 1983 predecessor thanks to the strong performance of the single "What Do I Know?".
The album contains singer Michael Sadler's most sensitive song, "(Goodbye) Once Upon a Time", which he said was written about his late father and which still brought up strong emotions when performed years after the album's release.
Changes and band break-up
The 1985 album was a marked departure for the band as Saga moved on from working with Rupert Hine, a successful producer famous in the 1980s who had produced the band's last two albums and helped to land the band commercial success during the early part of that decade. There was an overhaul of both the sounds and styles incorporated by the band during the development of the new album, leading Saga to produce a more pop-oriented sound than their previous progressive rock works.
Tensions during the production because of these changes eventually led lead singer Michael Sadler to inform drummer Steve Negus and Jim Gilmour after the album was released that they were no longer welcome in the band, beginning a rift in the band that lasted until 1991. Speaking in interviews during 2002, the band members stated that they regarded this division at the time as only temporary and knew that the five members would be reunited eventually.
- "Listen to Your Heart" (Jim Crichton, Ian Crichton, Michael Sadler, Jim Gilmour, Steve Negus) – 3:56
- "Take a Chance" (J. Crichton, Jim Gilmour) – 3:54
- "What Do I Know?" (J. Crichton, Gilmour) – 3:40
- "Misbehaviour" (J. Crichton, Sadler, I. Crichton, Gilmour, Negus) – 4:04
- "Nine Lives of Miss Midi" (Gilmour, Negus) – 1:17
- "You and the Night" (J. Crichton, Sadler) – 5:16
- "Out of the Shadows" (Sadler, J. Crichton, I. Crichton)– 4:48
- "Easy Way Out" (J. Crichton, Sadler, I. Crichton, Gilmour, Negus) – 3:59
- "Promises" (J. Crichton, Sadler, Gilmour) – 4:12
- "Here I Am" (J. Crichton, Sadler, Gilmour) – 3:34
- "(Goodbye) Once Upon a Time" (J. Crichton, Sadler, I. Crichton, Gilmour, Negus) – 6:38
- Michael Sadler - lead vocals, keyboards
- Jim Crichton - bass guitar, keyboards
- Jim Gilmour - keyboards, backing vocals
- Ian Crichton - guitar
- Steve Negus - drums, percussion, electronic percussion
- Sharon Benson - Additional vocals on "What Do I Know?"
- Produced by Saga and Peter Walsh
- Engineered by Peter Walsh
- Mastered at Sterling Sound by Jack Skinner
- Recorded at Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Powerplay Recording Studios, Zurich & Union Studios, Munich
- Sleeve Design - Studio Convertino, Milan
- Photographer - Fred Ereissing