Behind Enemy Lines (band)
|Behind Enemy Lines|
|Origin||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Associated acts||Aus-Rotten, The Pist, Caustic Christ|
|Past members||Bill Chamberlain
"Metal" Mary Bielich
Behind Enemy Lines was an American crust punk band, based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. They played in a crossover style of anarchist crust punk and thrash metal. The band featured vocalist Dave Trenga and drummer Matt Garabedian, both of Aus-Rotten, and formerly guitarist Bill Chamberlain of The Pist and Caustic Christ.
In late 2000, after the dissolution of Aus-Rotten, two former members of that band, Dave Trenga and Matt Garabedian, formed Behind Enemy Lines along with Bill Chamberlain (also of The Pist and Caustic Christ) on guitar, and Matt Sachs, formerly of Devastation on bass. Mary Bielich and Matt Tuite (both former members of Pittsburgh doom metal band Penance) joined later, playing bass and guitar respectively.
In 2007, Chamberlain was replaced by Ken Houser. The band split up in 2009.
Lyrics covered a range of political topics, including: animal rights, environmentalism, human rights, feminism (especially on issues of domestic violence, gender roles and abortion), LGBT rights, anti-religion and anti-capitalism. The band is noted for its harsh criticism of George W. Bush, especially on issues concerning the Iraq war, Abu Ghraib, subversion of human rights under the Patriot Act and government response to Hurricane Katrina.
Dave Trenga wrote essays detailing his political opinion on both his Myspace blog and Behind Enemy Line's website. He demonstrated a strong distaste for Christianity, stating "I have never seen such a hateful and intolerant movement infiltrate every aspect of our lives as the current Christian movement in America has" and concluded, "I only hope I see this movement fall in my lifetime."
- Know Your Enemy (2002) Tribal War Records
- Re-released 2005 on Profane Existence Records
- The Global Cannibal (2003) US LP & CD on Antagony Media, European LP on Alerta Antifascista Records
- One Nation Under the Iron Fist of God (2006) Profane Existence Records
Last known lineup
- Matt Sachs – bass, vocals
- Dave Trenga – vocals
- Matt Garabedian – drums, vocals
- Matt Tuite – guitar, vocals
- Bill Chamberlain- guitar, vocals (2000–2007)
- Matt Sachs- bass, vocals (2000–2002)
- "Metal" Mary Bielich- bass, vocals (2002–2008)
- Ken Houser- guitar, vocals (2007)
- Hopper, Justin (2007-02-01). "Crust-punks Behind Enemy Lines release One Nation Under The Iron Fist of God". Pittsburgh City Paper. Retrieved 2007-08-24.
- Mervis, Scott (2007-02-01). "Pittsburgh Calling: A capsule look at Pittsburgh bands making news.". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Pittsburgh Post Gazette Publishing Co. p. WE. 17.
- "Encyclopaedia Metallum's Entry on Behind Enemy Lines". Encyclopaedia Metallum. Retrieved 2007-08-29.
- "Behind Enemy Lines' myspace page". Myspace. Retrieved 2007-08-29.