Behind the Burly Q
|Behind the Burly Q|
|Directed by||Leslie Zemeckis|
|Written by||Leslie Zemeckis|
|Music by||Phil Marshall|
|Edited by||Evan Finn|
|Distributed by||First Run Features|
|This article needs an improved plot summary. (November 2015)|
This documentary film about the heyday of burlesque includes interviews with exotic dancers of the time April March, Lorraine Lee, Taffy O’Neill, Blaze Starr, Tempest Storm, and Kitty West; Mike Iannucci, stripper Ann Corio’s husband and producer of “This Was Burlesque”; journalists and authors Nat Bodian, Rachel Schteir, and Janet Davis; and actor Alan Alda, whose father Robert Alda was a burlesque singer and straight man.
Film review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 78% of critics gave the film a positive review, based on 27 reviews, with an average score of 6.5/10. Emily Hourican of the Irish Independent lauded the film as "an absorbing, moving and cleverly constructed look at the tradition of American burlesque." Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times was less enthusiastic, claiming the film "settles too easily for an editing formula which alternates talking heads, too cursory performance footage and montages of headlines and photographs." Ronnie Scheib of Variety said the film's "stories run from raunchy to touching to funny to flat-out incredible.”
In 2013, Skyhorse Publishing released a companion book by Zemeckis, also called Behind the Burly Q.
- "Behind the Burly Q (2010)". Box Office Mojo. Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- Leslie Zemeckis (Director) (2010). Behind the Burly Q (DVD). First Run Features. ASIN B004I45MUC.
- Gelt, Jessica (6 July 2013). "'Behind the Burly Q' a revealing portrait of burlesque's stars". Los Angeles Times.
- Behind the Burly Q at Rotten Tomatoes
- Hourican, Emily (March 7, 2010). "Leslie takes peek behind burlesque curtain". Irish Independent.
- Ebert, Roger (18 August 2010). "Behind the Burly-Q". rogerebert.com.
- Scheib, Ronnie. "Review: ‘Behind the Burly Q’". Variety.
- Official website
- Behind the Burly Q at the Internet Movie Database
- Behind the Burly Q at Metacritic
- Behind the Burly Q at Box Office Mojo