Behind the Iron Curtain (video)
|Behind the Iron Curtain|
|Video by Iron Maiden|
World Slavery Tour, Poland
|Length||30:00 (original) 58:00 (expanded version)|
|Iron Maiden chronology|
Behind the Iron Curtain is a discontinued VHS/Beta/LaserDisc/VHD video by the English metal band Iron Maiden. The video features footage of the band on the road in Eastern Europe in 1984, performing concerts in Poland, Hungary, and Yugoslavia as part of the World Slavery Tour. The title refers to the fact that the band were touring inside the Iron Curtain (countries within the Eastern Bloc of the Soviet Union); unusual given the area's separation from the West due to the then-ongoing Cold War. Aside from two promotional videos from the album Powerslave, the video also contains two live tracks and interviews with band members.
The video has no MPAA rating and has a running length of 30 minutes. An expanded 58 minute version of the documentary is included on disc 2 of the Live After Death DVD. This expanded version was broadcast by MTV in 1984 and was until the release of the Live After Death DVD only available on several bootleg recordings. Analysis of the tracks revealed that the audio of the tracks on the original video differ from the audio of the expanded documentary on the DVD version.
The video was produced and directed by Kenneth Feuerman and edited by Norman H. Strassner.
Original video version
All tracks by Steve Harris except where noted.
- "2 Minutes to Midnight (Studio Version)" (Bruce Dickinson, Adrian Smith)
- "Aces High (Studio Version)"
- "Hallowed Be Thy Name (recorded live in Katowice, Poland on 14 August 1984)"
- "Run to the Hills (recorded live in Budapest, Hungary on 17 August 1984)"
The video also features a portion of the Deep Purple classic "Smoke on the Water" which Iron Maiden played at event manager Dorota Nawrocka and dentist Piotr Zmudzinski´s wedding at the now-demolished Adria club in Poznań, Poland.
Expanded MTV documentary version
- "Aces High" (recording date unclear)
- "The Trooper" (recorded live in Poznań, Poland on 11 August 1984)
- "22 Acacia Avenue" (recording date unclear)
- "The Number of the Beast" (recorded live in Poznań, Poland on 11 August 1984)
- "Hallowed Be Thy Name" (recorded live in Poznań, Poland on 11 August 1984)
- "2 Minutes to Midnight" (recording live in Budapest, Hungary on 17 August 1984)
- "Run to the Hills" (recorded live in Budapest, Hungary on 17 August 1984)
- Bruce Dickinson – vocals
- Dave Murray – guitar
- Adrian Smith – guitar
- Steve Harris – bass
- Nicko McBrain – drums
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||50,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- Adams, Bret. Iron Maiden – Behind the Iron Curtain at AllMusic. Retrieved 26 June 2011.
- "American video certifications – Iron Maiden – Behind the Iron Curtain". Recording Industry Association of America. 28 February 1989. Retrieved 26 April 2013. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Video Longform, then click SEARCH