Behind the Sun (Eric Clapton album)
|Behind the Sun|
|Studio album by Eric Clapton|
|Released||11 March 1985|
|Genre||Rock, pop rock, hard rock|
|Label||Duck / Warner Bros.|
|Producer||Eric Clapton, Phil Collins, Ted Templeman, Lenny Waronker|
|Eric Clapton chronology|
Behind the Sun is the ninth studio album by English guitarist Eric Clapton, released in 1985. The title of the album comes from a line from Muddy Waters's "Louisiana Blues". It is also Clapton's first collaborative project with Phil Collins.
Background and recording
After nearly a decade of Clapton's guitar playing taking a back seat to his singing/songwriting, this album featured more guitar work by Clapton since the Cream era of the 1960s. The album features synthesizers and drum machines played by Phil Collins, Ted Templeman, Peter Robinson, Michael Omartian, James Newton Howard, Chris Stainton and Greg Phillinganes, as well as Clapton's Roland guitar synthesizer on the 9th track, Never Make You Cry. Bassists Donald Duck Dunn from Booker T. & the MG's and Nathan East from the smooth jazz quartet Fourplay also played on the sessions.
In his autobiography, Clapton remembers the 1984 session pleasantly: "The whole thing is going so great, I hope it never stops." However, his troubled marriage with Pattie Boyd became the subject matter for most of his original material: She's Waiting, Same Old Blues and Just Like a Prisoner all contain extended guitar solos by Clapton. It was during this period that Pattie left him "and it was eventually decided that we should have a trial separation." Clapton assuaged his pain by writing the song Behind the Sun featuring only his guitar & vocals and Phil Collins' synthesizer, which became the final song on the album.
This was also Clapton's first collaboration with songwriter Jerry Lynn Williams. Warner looked critically at this follow-up to the Money and Cigarettes album, which did not sell well and was Clapton's first for the label. The Phil Collins-produced Behind the Sun, in the fall of 1984—the first version submitted—was rejected by the label, insisting that he record several new songs written by Jerry Williams, backed by Los Angeles session players. The label put the project under the auspices of veteran company producers Lenny Waronker and Ted Templeman. Warner then emphasised the new tracks, releasing two of them, "Forever Man" (which reached the Top 40) and "See What Love Can Do," as singles. The resulting album, not surprisingly, was somewhat disjointed, though the company may have been correct in thinking that the album as a whole was competent without being very exciting in response to the original line-up of songs for the album because they wanted the album to have more hit single material, Clapton agreed to their terms, but asked them to provide some "hits" and record the songs with their own producer and musicians: "They sent me three songs by a Texas songwriter – Forever Man, Something's Happening and See What Love Can Do – and they were good." The sessions featured Toto guitarist Steve Lukather and former drummer Jeff Porcaro, as well as Clapton's long-time collaborators, drummer Jamie Oldaker, bassist Nathan East and keyboardist Greg Phillinganes.
The Behind the Sun tour was featured at the first Live Aid concert in 1985 where "She's Waiting" was performed along with "White Room" and "Layla". The video for "Forever Man" became an MTV favorite, featuring an accident where one of the cameras falls off the dolly. "Same Old Blues" was resurrected for the "After Midnight" tour and the Montserrat charity show in 1988 and 1997, with Mark Knopfler on rhythm guitar; Clapton resurrected "She's Waiting" for his 1992 world tour. Clapton came to sit in with Paul Shaffer to promote the album on Late Night with David Letterman in 1985. Letterman was impressed by the songs on the album joking to Clapton if it would be alright for him, if Letterman would sing "Forever Man".
- "She's Waiting" – 4:55 (Eric Clapton, Peter Robinson)
- "See What Love Can Do" – 3:58 (Jerry Lynn Williams)
- "Same Old Blues" – 8:15 (Clapton)
- "Knock on Wood" – 3:19 (Eddie Floyd, Steve Cropper)
- "Something's Happening" – 3:23 (Williams)
- "Forever Man" – 3:13 (Williams)
- "It All Depends" – 5:05 (Clapton)
- "Tangled in Love" – 4:11 (Marcy Levy, Richard Feldman)
- "Never Make You Cry" – 6:06 (Clapton, Phil Collins)
- "Just Like a Prisoner" – 5:29 (Clapton)
- "Behind the Sun" – 2:13 (Clapton)
- "Loving Your Lovin'" – Released on the Wayne's World movie soundtrack
- "Heaven Is One Step Away" – Released on the Back to the Future movie soundtrack and later on Crossroads Box Set
- "Too Bad" – Released on Crossroads Box Set
- "Jailbait" – Released as B-Side of She's Waiting Single
- "You Don't Know Like I Know" – Released in Australia only
- "One Jump Ahead of the Storm" – Unissued
- Eric Clapton – guitars, vocals, Roland guitar synthesizer
- Lindsey Buckingham – guitar
- Phil Collins – synthesizer, percussion, drums, background vocals, Fender Rhodes, Simmons drums
- James Newton Howard – synthesizer
- Marcy Levy – background vocals
- Jerry Lynn Williams – background vocals
- Lenny Castro – percussion
- Ray Cooper – percussion
- Donald "Duck" Dunn – bass
- Nathan East – bass, background vocals
- Lee Herschberg – engineer
- Nick Launay – engineer
- Steve Lukather – guitar
- Shaun Murphy – background vocals
- Michael Omartian – synthesizer
- Jamie Oldaker – drums, background vocals
- Jeff Porcaro – drums (on tracks 2 & 6)
- Greg Phillinganes – synthesizer, background vocals
- John "J.R." Robinson – drums
- J. Peter Robinson – synthesizer
- Chris Stainton – synthesizer, piano, organ, Fender Rhodes
- Ted Templeman – percussion
|Austrian Albums (Ö3 Austria)||30|
|Canadian Albums (RPM)||10|
|Dutch Albums (MegaCharts)||2|
|German Albums (Offizielle Top 100)||15|
|Japanese Albums (Oricon)||14|
|New Zealand Albums (RMNZ)||21|
|Norwegian Albums (VG-lista)||5|
|Swedish Albums (Sverigetopplistan)||10|
|Swiss Albums (Schweizer Hitparade)||3|
|UK Albums (OCC)||8|
|US Billboard 200||34|
|Norway (IFPI Norway)||Silver||25,000*|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,457,698|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Ruhlmann, William. "Behind the Sun – Eric Clapton: Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards: AllMusic". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- Christgau, Robert (30 April 1985). "Consumer Guide". The Village Voice. Music section. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- Frost, Deborah (11 April 1985). "Album Review: Eric Clapton – Behind the Sun". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on 3 February 2007. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- Putterford, Mark (4 April 1985). "Eric Clapton 'Behind the Sun'". Kerrang! 91. London, UK: Morgan Grampian. p. 11.
- "05-07-1985 Letterman Fred Willard, Beverly D'Angelo, Eric Clapton". The Last Show with David Letterman. YouTube. Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- "Austriancharts.at – Eric Clapton – Behind the Sun" (in German). Hung Medien. Retrieved November 28, 2015.
- "RPM Top 100 Albums". RPM Magazine (Library and Archives Canada) 42 (12). June 1, 1985. Retrieved November 28, 2015.
- "Hits of the World > Netherlands" (PDF). Billboard Magazine (Nielsen Business Media, Inc.) 97 (20): 64. May 18, 1985. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved November 28, 2015.
- "Officialcharts.de – Eric Clapton – Behind the Sun". GfK Entertainment. Retrieved November 28, 2015.
- "Hits of the World > Japan" (PDF). Billboard Magazine (Nielsen Business Media, Inc.) 97 (17): 63. April 27, 1985. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved November 28, 2015.
- "Charts.org.nz – Eric Clapton – Behind the Sun". Hung Medien. Retrieved November 28, 2015.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Eric Clapton – Behind the Sun". Hung Medien. Retrieved November 28, 2015.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Eric Clapton – Behind the Sun". Hung Medien. Retrieved November 28, 2015.
- "Swisscharts.com – Eric Clapton – Behind the Sun". Hung Medien. Retrieved November 28, 2015.
- "03-23-1985 Top 40 UK Albums Archive". Official Charts Company. Retrieved November 28, 2015.
- "Eric Clapton – Chart history" Billboard 200 for Eric Clapton. Retrieved November 28, 2015.
- "Bonhams : A records sales award for the Eric Clapton album Behind the Sun". Bonhams. Bonhams Auctions. Retrieved September 17, 2015.
- "American album certifications – Eric Clapton – Behind the Sun". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
- "Dossier – The Music of Eric Clapton". Directupload. Astrid Keil. Retrieved 2015-07-28.