Beholder (video game)
|Developer(s)||Warm Lamp Games|
|Platform(s)||Linux, macOS, Windows, Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One|
The main character – Carl – is a government-installed landlord in a totalitarian State. The State appoints Carl to spy on the tenants. The primary task is to covertly watch the tenants and eavesdrop on their conversations. A player can bug apartments while tenants are away, search their belongings for whatever can threaten the authority of the State, and profile them. The State requires a player to report anyone capable of violating the laws or plotting subversive activities against the Government to the authorities.
The game offers a player a chance to either follow the commands of the Government or to side with the people who suffer from the oppressive directives.
Each game character has their own personality, circumstances and issues. Every decision that a player makes affects the way the story unfolds. The game has multiple endings each of them being a sum of the decisions made by a player.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (November 2018)
Beholder has been nominated and won several conference awards:
- Excellence in Game Design and Best Indie Game awards at the Minsk DevGAMM Conference 2016.
- Best Adventure Game @ IGN Russia
- Winner in Entertainment Category @ GDWC, 2016
- Best in Play @ Game Developer Conference, GDC Play 2017
- Most Creative & Original Game, Best Indie Game @ Game Connection America, 2017
- "Spy on your neighbours in Beholder". pcgamer. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Warm Lamp Games unveils BEHOLDER -- A Game of moral choices". Destructoid. Retrieved 2016-11-08.
- Smith, Adam (2016-10-06). "Demo Of Surveillance Game Beholder Now Available". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 2016-11-08.
- Vincent, Brittany (2016-11-13). "Dystopia Simulator Beholder Out Just in the Nick of Time". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Beholder - A Game of Moral Choices". DVS. 2016-10-13. Retrieved 2016-11-08.
- "Beholder for PC Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Beholder for iPhone/iPad Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Beholder: Complete Edition for PlayStation 4 Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Beholder: Complete Edition for Xbox One Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- O'Connor, James (2017-02-07). "Beholder Review". GameSpot. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2018-11-15.
- Lazarides, Tasos (2017-06-02). "'Beholder' Review – Oppressing People and Taking Names Was Never This Fun". TouchArcade. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "DevGAMM Awards Winners". DevGAMM Minsk 2016. 2016-11-22. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- "ИТОГИ 2016 ГОДА". IGN Russia. Ziff Davis. Retrieved 25 May 2017.
- Rasila, Leevi. "Game Development World Championship 2016 Winners". Facebook. Retrieved 25 May 2017.
- "These are your 'Best In Play' winners for GDC Play 2017!". GDC Conference. UBM. Retrieved 25 May 2017.
- "Game Connection America 2017 Development Awards". Game Connection. Fazaé. Retrieved 25 May 2017.