|Occupation||Minister of Industry and Infrastructure Development of the Republic of Kazakhstan|
Beibut Atamkulov (Kazakh: Бейбіт Бәкірұлы Атамқұлов, Beıbit Bákiruly Atamqulov; born May 19, 1964) is a Kazakh diplomat who was appointed the post of Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan on 26 December 2018. Beibut Atamkulov has an economic and financial background. Previously, Atamkulov served as the head of the newly created Ministry of Defence and Aerospace Industry of Kazakhstan.
Early life and education
In 1986, Beibut Atamkulov graduated from the Kazakh Polytechnic Institute with a degree in Metallurgical Engineering. In 2000, he graduated from St. Petersburg State University of Economics and Finance, and holds the degree of Candidate of Economic Sciences.
From 1986 to 1991, he worked as a smelter, a shift foreman, a senior foreman, a leading engineer, and a deputy head of the department at the Chimkent Lead Plant.
Atamkulov has extensive career in international relations. From 2006 to 2007, he served as Counsellor and later Minister-Counselor of the Embassy of Kazakhstan in Russia (Moscow). In 2007–08, he served as Minister-Counsellor of the Embassy of the Kazakhstan in Iran (Tehran). In 2008–10, he served as Consul General of Kazakhstan in Frankfurt am Main in Germany. From 2010 to 2012, Beibut Atamkulov served as Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Kazakhstan to Malaysia with concurrent accreditation to the Philippines, Indonesia and Brunei Darussalam.
Atamkulov conducted his first visit to the United States as Foreign Minister under President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev on July 1-2, 2019. On the second day of the visit, he met with U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. The Secretary expressed strong support to strengthening bilateral relations and working with the newly elected Kazakh President.
Foreign Minister Atamkulov participated in the 15th EU-Central Asia Ministerial Meeting in Kyrgyz capital Bishkek on 7 July 2019. The Conference was dedicated to the launch of the new EU strategy on Central Asia. On the sidelines of the event, Atamkulov presented the Order of Dostyk (Friendship) of the 1st degree to EU’s High Representative for foreign policy Federica Mogherini on behalf of President Tokayev.
Atamkulov was released from the position of Foreign Minister and appointed as Minister of Industry and Infrastructure Development of Kazakhstan in September 2019.
- "New Minister of Foreign Affairs Appointed". KazInform.
- "Minister's biography". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Kazakhstan.
- INFORM.KZ. "Kazakh Foreign Minister begins his official visit to United States". www.inform.kz (in Russian). Retrieved 2019-07-09.
- "Secretary Pompeo's Meeting With Kazakhstani Foreign Minister Beibut Atamkulov". United States Department of State. Retrieved 2019-07-09.
- "Kazakhstan proposes effective use of EU-Central Asia relations toolkit to advance the EU's new strategy for region". www.neweurope.eu.
- September 2019 (2019-09-19). "Kazakh President reshuffles key government and ministry posts". The Astana Times. Retrieved 2019-09-23.
|This article about a politician from Kazakhstan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|