|Products||Commercial and passenger vehicles|
Beijing Automobile Works
Beiqi Foton Motor
Beijing Hyundai (50%)
Beijing Benz (50%)
Beijing Foton Daimler Automobile (50%)
Jiangxi Changhe (70%)
BAIC Group (officially Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co., Ltd.) is a Chinese state-owned enterprise and holding company of several automobile and machine manufacturers, located in Beijing, China. Its principal subsidiaries include the passenger car maker BAIC Motor, the military vehicle and SUV maker BAW and the truck, bus and agricultural equipment maker Foton Motor. BAIC's parent is the Beijing State-owned Assets Management Co (Chinese: 北京市国有资产经营有限公司).
In 2014, manufacture of 2.25 million whole vehicles made BAIC the fourth largest among domestic rivals although it placed second in terms of commercial vehicle output.
- 1 History
- 2 Products
- 3 Operations
- 4 Joint ventures
- 5 References
- 6 External links
BAIC was one of the top ten most-productive Chinese automakers in 2010. This may be due to subsidiary Beijing Automobile Works and a sustained surge of popularity for Beijing Hyundai products. It reached fifth place by selling nearly 1.5 millions units garnering a market share of more than 8%. 2011 production of 1.5 million whole vehicles made Beiqi the fifth largest vehicle-maker in China that year in terms of units manufactured. BAIC remained fifth in 2012, which saw the company make 1.7 million whole vehicles; 30% of production was commercial or heavy-duty products.
Saab technology transfer
After several unsuccessful attempts to buy struggling European automakers in 2009, such as Saab, Volvo, and Opel as well as technology from the American Chrysler, BAIC fulfilled its aim of obtaining valuable Western technology that same year purchasing technology from a former unit of General Motors, Saab Automobile. This allows it to produce older Saab models (but not brand them as Saabs) for sale in China.
Cars with Saab technology were expected to go on sale in 2012 but didn't debut until May 2013. The first Saab-based model on sale is the C70 or 绅宝 (Shenbao), which may be translated as "gentleman's treasure", although it is sold as the "Senova" in English.
Southern China expansion
A trial production run of 30 electric vehicles using Saab and self-developed platforms occurred in late 2010. China subsidies oil (an incentive for the State to encourage use and manufacture of electric cars), and Chinese automakers see opportunities in less mature electric vehicles because Western companies have yet to develop much of a lead in the technology.
BAIC has a wide product line that includes more than the buses that are its traditional manufacture. Offerings encompass many kinds of commercial vehicles, including: agricultural machinery, construction machinery, light trucks, and military vehicles, etc. As of 2010 commercial vehicle production capacity is estimated to be around 700,000 units per year. Production capacity figures may consider engines and vehicles as discrete.
The company sells self-branded consumer products in addition to manufacturing in cooperation with famous name foreign firms. Based on purchased Saab technology, the cars were first offered in 2013 although sales had been expected to start in both 2012 and 2010. While it also make cars with foreign partners, its self-branded vehicles were developed without oversight from a major Western car manufacturer although Western assistance is evident. To support its own brand, in 2012 BAIC hired as a consultant former Ferrari designer Leonardo Fioravanti, and a concept car designed by him was on display at the 2012 Beijing Auto Show.
Along with several other production bases, four of which are in eastern China, Beiqi controls the former Guangzhou Baolong base in Southern China (most probably in Zengcheng city, Guangzhou, Guangdong province). Plans exist to build two more southern production bases–one in Guangzhou, Guangdong province by 2012 and another in Chongqing.
A planned production base will produce own-brand autos using Saab technology. It may be located in Zhuzhou, Hunan province, or at Sanxiang town, Zhongshan city, Guangdong province, and could become operational in June 2011.
The company claims production bases in at least 26 Chinese cities. This count most likely includes component manufacturers as well.
BAIC Motor Co., Ltd. is a subsidiary of BAIC which manufactures passenger cars and microvans sold under the Senova and Weiwang marques, respectively. Founded in 2010 and based in Beijing, Daimler AG acquired a 12% stake in BAIC Motor in November 2013.
Beiqi Foton Motor Co., Ltd. (Foton Motor) is a subsidiary of BAIC which designs and manufactures trucks, buses, sport utility vehicles and agricultural machinery. It is headquartered in Changping, Beijing.
The Beijing Light Automobile Company (BLAC), which until 1988 had been known as the Beijing Automobile factory No. 2, started in late 1960s when production of the independently developed BJ130 began. Its introduction was slowed down considerably by the upheavals of the Cultural revolution. In 1984 assembly of the Isuzu Elf/NHR began (originally as the BJ136, later as the BJ1030/1040/1050 series). In 1988 a new plant for these trucks was built with aid from the Japanese, where petrol and diesel light truck engines were also produced. BLAC went bankrupt in 2002.
Current joint ventures
Beijing Hyundai Motor Co., Ltd. is an automobile manufacturing company headquartered in Beijing, China, and is a 50:50 joint-venture between BAIC and Hyundai Motor Company. Established in 2002, it manufactures in Shunyi District, a satellite city of Beijing, producing Hyundai-branded automobiles for the Chinese market. New models designed for the Chinese market are due to appear.
As of 2010 Beijing Benz, a BAIC joint venture with German automaker Daimler AG, makes the Mercedes-Benz C-Class and E-Class models for sale in China and seeks to make more of the models it sells in China locally.
Beijing Foton Daimler
Former joint ventures
Beijing Jeep Corporation became China's first Sino-western automotive joint venture when it was established in 1984 with American Motors Corporation. Beijing Jeep subsequently became Beijing Benz-DaimlerChrysler Automotive Co Ltd and then Beijing Benz Automotive Co Ltd.
- Beiqi to invest 10b yuan in own brand chinadaily.com.cn, 2010-11-17
- For State ownership, see BAIHC Homepage > About Beiqi > BAIHC Information Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co., Ltd. Official Site
- For Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co Ltd holdings, see Group Structure BAIC Official Site
- China establishes new automaker for "Beijing" brand automobiles people.com.cn, September 30, 2010
- "2014年11月汽车分车型前十家生产企业销量排名". caam.org.cn. China Association of Automobile Manufacturers (CAAM). 12 December 2014. Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- For date established, see Beiqi to invest 10b yuan in own brand chinadaily.com.cn, 2010-11-17
- For joint venture with Daimler AG, see Daimler aims to nearly triple China sales by 2015 reuters.com, Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:12am EDT
- For joint venture with Hyundai, see UPDATE 1-Hyundai Motor signs deal with Chinese carmaker reuters.com, Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:36pm EDT
- For Beijing Automobile Works' contribution to 2010 sales, see BAW aiming to grow into top-class global automaker globaltimes.cn, December 14, 2010
- For Beijing Hyundai contribution to 2010 sales, see The entire Beijing Automotive Group overcomes difficulties —— makes great endeavor to the quicker development BAIC Official Site, 2009-07-20
- China Car Market 101: Who Makes All Those 18 Million Cars? thetruthaboutcars.com, January 19, 2011
- 2011年前十家乘用车生产企业销量排名. China Association of Automobile Manufacturers (CAAM). 2012-01-20.
- "2012年12月分车型前十家生产企业销量排名". China Association of Automobile Manufacturers (CAAM). 14 January 2013. Retrieved January 15, 2013.
- For attempt to purchase Saab Automobile, see "Koenigsegg — press release". Cision Wire. Retrieved 2009-09-09.
- For attempt to purchase Volvo Automobile, see SPECIAL REPORT-Saving Volvo:Geely buys brand and management test reuters.com, Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:18pm EDT
- For attempt to purchase Opel, see TIMELINE-Deals between Western and China auto firms reuters.com, Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:04am EDT
- For discussion of an asset sale with Chrysler, see Chrysler renews search for China partner: sources reuters.com, Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:27pm EDT
- For purchase of Saab technology, see China's BAIC buys Saab assets; Spyker still in talks reuters.com, Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:18am EST
- What BAIC plans to build on its Saab treasures chinacartimes.com, 19 October 2010
- BAIC paid $197 mln for Saab assets - paper reuters.com, Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41pm EST
- "Big hurdle for a small brand --- Beijing Auto attempts to grow out of its niche with Saab-based models and new factories." Norihiko Shirouzu. The Wall Street Journal Asia. Hong Kong: 13 Oct 2010. pg. 19
- "CHINA: BAIC's Senova D series sedan goes on sale". just - auto global news. Bromsgrove.14 May 2013.
- "BAIC C70 to becomes the ‘Gentlemens Treasure’ in Chinese". China Car Times. 8 May 2012.
- "Beijing Auto Launches Saab based Shenbao D". China Car Times. 13 May 2013.
- CORRECTED - CORRECTED-UPDATE 1-Beijing Auto to acquire Guangzhou Baolong reuters.com, Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:47am EDT
- BAIC to invest RMB 5 bln in Baolong Auto Aug. 23, 2010 (China Knowledge)
- Flexing engineering muscle globaltime.cn, December 22, 2010
- For fuel subsidy, see China's fuel subsidy costs the world reuters.com, Wed Jun 4, 2008 8:08am EDT
- For Chinese automakers seeing EV opportunities, see Big bet on better battery-run cars chinadaily.com.cn, 2011-01-03
- For wide product line, see BAIHC Homepage > About Beiqi > BAIHC Information Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co., Ltd. Official Site
- For bus as traditional product, see Beiqi to invest 10b yuan in own brand chinadaily.com.cn, 2010-11-17
- For agricultural machinery, see Beijing Automotive Import & Export Corporation
- For construction machinery, see Beijing Automotive Import & Export Corporation
- For light trucks, see Beijing Automotive Import & Export Corporation
- For military vehicles, see BAIHC Homepage > About Beiqi > BAIHC Information Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co., Ltd. Official Site
- For "Beijing" brand name, see Beiqi to invest 10b yuan in own brand chinadaily.com.cn, 2010-11-17
- For 2013 sales start, see "CHINA: BAIC's Senova D series sedan goes on sale". just - auto global news. Bromsgrove.14 May 2013.
- For 2012 expectations, see "Big hurdle for a small brand --- Beijing Auto attempts to grow out of its niche with Saab-based models and new factories." Norihiko Shirouzu. The Wall Street Journal Asia. Hong Kong: Oct 13, 2010. pg. 19
- For 2010 as initial launch target, see This year’s goal of BAIC is 950,000 units, new vehicles “Beijing Brand” will be launched out next year BAIC Official Site, 2009-02-11
- "Chinese auto group hires Ferrari car designer Fioravanti". reuters.com (Thompson Reuters). April 19, 2012. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- "BAIC taking aim at the Germans with C90L luxury seda". chinacartimes.com. May 2, 2012. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- "Hummer-Inspired Chinese Trucks (3): BAIC Yongshi". ChinaAutoWeb.com.
- For four Eastern China production bases, see BAIC to invest RMB 5 bln in Baolong Auto Aug. 23, 2010 (China Knowledge)
- For former Guangzhou Baolong production base, see CORRECTED - CORRECTED-UPDATE 1-Beijing Auto to acquire Guangzhou Baolong reuters.com, Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:47am EDT
- For probable location, see BAIC invests $736 mln to restructure Baolong's production base gasgoo.com, August 19, 2010
- For possible Hunan location, see Beiqi to invest 10b yuan in own brand chinadaily.com.cn, 2010-11-17
- For 2011 as start of operations and possible Guangdong location, see BAW's new production base to be completed next June globaltimes.cn, November 11, 2010
- Company Beijing Automotive Industry Import and Export Corporation Official Site
- Daimler aims to nearly triple China sales by 2015 reuters.com, Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:12am EDT
- Mr. Heyi Xu，the president of Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co., Ltd. delivered a speech at the 2009 China (Changchun) International Automobile Forum BAIC Official Site, 2009-07-20
- "浴火重生BJ130综述稿" [A brief History of the BJ130]. Made in China (in Chinese). NetEase Inc. Retrieved 2011-03-31.
- "Beijing LAC Китай" [Beijing LAC (China)]. Книги и Каталоги (Books and Catalogues) (in Russian). За рулем. Archived from the original on 2011-08-19.
- For Hyundai as partner, see UPDATE 1-Hyundai Motor signs deal with Chinese carmaker reuters.com, Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:36pm EDT
- For strong 2009 sales, see Hyundai smokes the competition money.cnn.com, January 5, 2010: 9:45 AM ET
- For strong 2010 sales, see The entire Beijing Automotive Group overcomes difficulties —— makes great endeavor to the quicker development BAIC Official Site, 2009-07-20
- HYUNDAI REVEALS THREE NEW MODELS AT SHANGHAI AUTO SHOW Hyundai Official Site
- For legal name, see The entire Beijing Automotive Group overcomes difficulties—makes great endeavor to the quicker development BAIC Official Site, 2009-07-20
- For commercial trucks and Daimler AG as partner, see Daimler aims to nearly triple China sales by 2015 reuters.com, Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:12am EDT