Beijing Jiaotong University
This article relies excessively on references to primary sources. (April 2010)
Motto in English
|knowing and doing|
|President||Wang JiaQiong (Chinese: 王稼琼; pinyin: Wáng Jià Qióng)|
39°57′00″N 116°20′14″E / 39.9501°N 116.3371°E
Sino-Spanish University Alliance (SSU)
Beijing Jiaotong University (Chinese: 北京交通大学), formerly Northern Jiaotong University, is one of the oldest public universities in mainland China. The main campus is located in the Haidian District in central Beijing. The university's name is often abbreviated by locals to BeiJiaoDa (北交大). JiaoDa is a participant in the Ministry of Education's Project 211, classifying it as a top Chinese university. It is a Chinese state Double First Class University Plan university identified by the Ministry of Education.
Beijing Jiaotong University is a prominent research university in the field of Transportation Science and Technology.
In Shanghai Subject Ranking 2018 for Transportation Science and Technology, BJTU achieved 1st in the world, whereby Tsinghua University and Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) ranked 2nd and 3rd respectively.
This section includes a list of general references, but it lacks sufficient corresponding inline citations. (November 2018)
The university was a component of Jiaotong University (also named Chiao Tung University). In September 1909 the Postal Department of the Qing government founded the Railway Management Institute in Beijing. In 1920 the Republic of China was founded and BJTU was attached to the Ministry of Transportation and Communications with its name changed to "Ministry of Communications Traffic Training Institute". Meanwhile, it increased some subjects including the electrical engineering, cable broadcast and radio. In 1921 it merged with two technical schools in Shanghai and Tangshan to form the Jiaotong University. There were three campuses in Beijing, Shanghai and Tangshan.Beijing Jiaotong University was called "Jiaotong University Beijing School" at that time. The Beijing campus was named National Jiaotong University, Beijing (中国交通大学) in 1949. In 1950 the Beijing campus was renamed Northern Jiaotong University (Chinese: 北方交通大学). In September 2003 it was renamed Beijing Jiaotong University (Chinese: 北京交通大学) to make its locality explicit. The Shanghai campus has since separated into two universities which are now Shanghai Jiaotong University(上海交通大学) and Xi'an Jiaotong University(西安交通大学). There are five Jiaotong Universities in China named: Shanghai Jiaotong University, Xi'an Jiaotong University, Beijing Jiaotong University, Southwest Jiaotong University and National Chiao Tung University. Beijing Jiaotong University is listed in Double First Class University Plan, former 211 Project universities and 985 Project Innovation Platform. In 2017, Beijing Jiaotong University enters the ranks of double first-class construction.
Schools and faculties
As of 2009, Beijing Jiaotong University has the following under its administration:
- Electronic Information Engineering Institute
- Computer and Informational Technology Institute
- Economy Management Institute
- Communication and Transportation Institute
- Civil Engineering and Architecture Institute
- Mechanical and Electronic Control Engineering Institute
- Electric Power Institute
- Physical Sciences Institute
- Humanities and Social Sciences Institute
- Languages and communication studies Institute
- Long-Distance and Continued Education Institute
- Software Engineering Institute
- Architecture and Art Institute
The university has 22 research institutes and 39 laboratories which include the transportation system simulation laboratory and transportation automation laboratory.
The university library has over a million books, 3000 Chinese and foreign journals, numerous documents on microfiche and audio and video documents on various modern media.
Beijing Jiaotong's facilities include its own transmitter tower, hospital, hotels, TV station, indoor and outdoor swimming pool, gym, arboretum, moot courts, lip balm monkeys, museum, art gallery, railway line and stadium.
As of 2017, there are 25,569 full-time students on the campus. There are 7,527 graduate students working on master's or PhD programs, 500 international students and 8,767 engaged in correspondence programs, night schools and other full-time programs.
There are 2844 faculty members and scientists at the university, 10 of which are academicians of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and Chinese Academy of Engineering, 286 full professors and 588 associate professors. The Transportation, Engineering, Law and ICT faculties are particularly well-regarded.
- Outer ring circle and gear circle are concentric circles in calibration
- The school name is Mao Zedong font "Beifang Jiaotong University"
- English use balc font "BEIJING JIAOTONG UNIVERSITY"
- "1896"representative school founding time
- The round anvil, hammer, chain and gear symbolize industrial manufacturing and products; books symbolize science and knowledge; gear symbolize management, reflecting that the school is a university with science and engineering as its main part.
Beijing Jiaotong University students' time : “知行”
This section may contain an excessive amount of intricate detail that may interest only a particular audience.(October 2021)
|Discipline (Degree)||Program||Program Code||School|
|Engineering||Communication Engineering||080703||School of Electronic and Information Engineering|
|Rail Traffic Signaling and Control||080802T|
|Electronic Science and Technology||080702|
|Mechanical Engineering*||080201||School of Mechanical, Electronic and Control Engineering|
|Measurement, Control Technology and Instrumentation*||080301|
|Energy and Power Engineering||080501|
|Civil Engineering||081001||School of Civil Engineering|
|Water Supply and Drainage Science and Engineering||081003|
|Transportation*||081801||School of Traffic and Transportation|
|Nano-materials and Technology||080413T||School of Science|
|Computer Science and Technology*||080901||School of Computer and Information Technology|
|Internet of Things Engineering||080905|
|Electrical Engineering and Automation*||080601||School of Electrical Engineering|
|Software Engineering||080902||School of Software Engineering|
|Urban and Rural Planning||082802||School of Architecture and Design|
|Economics||Economics||020101||School of Economics and Management|
|Management||Labor and Social Security||120403|
|Information Management and Information System||120102|
|Science||Information and Computation Science||070102||School of Science|
|Opto-electronic Information Science and Engineering||080705|
|Mathematics and Applied Mathematics||070101|
|Architecture||Architecture||082801||School of Architecture and Design|
|Arts||Graphic Design||130502||School of Architecture and Design|
|Digital Media Arts||130508|
|English Language||050201||School of Languages &Communication Studies|
|Law||Law||030101K||School of Law|
1. The table is made with reference to “The Catalog of Undergraduate Programs of Regular Higher Education Institutions of China, 2012”. 2. Length of Schooling: Urban and Rural Planning-5 years; Architecture-5 years; Others-4 years. 3. The programs marked with * are accredited by Washington Accord.
The university is a member of the Beijing University of Science and Technology Alliance. According to the university website, in July 2018 the university established cooperative relations with 235 universities and famous multinational enterprises in 45 countries including the United States, Britain, Germany and France.
Confucius Institutes have been established in Belgium, United States and Brazil to spread Chinese culture throughout the world. In 2017 the school officially joined the international railway cooperation organization (OSJD) which enhanced the school's influence and voice in the international railway field.
Joining the China-CEEC Association of Colleges and Universities has laid a solid foundation for the university to expand its cooperation and exchanges with central and eastern European countries. BJTU hosted the Belt and Road Initiative rail transit training school and the annual meeting of the China-ASEAN rail transit training alliance.
The university signed a cooperation agreement with Russia and Zhan Tianyou College. China and Indonesia signed a cooperation agreement on jointly building a China-Indonesia high-speed railway research center with the Bandung Institute of Technology in Indonesia. BJTU also offers Dual Degree Program with Universiti Malaysia Pahang in Malaysia.
BJTU is also one of the first universities authorized by the Chinese government to accept foreign students. BJTU enrolled over 3,000 foreign students and visiting scholars from as many as 71 countries in Asia, Africa, Europe and North America. BJTU has agreements with universities in the United States, France, United Kingdom, Germany, Switzerland, Singapore, Japan, Australia. Former U.S. President Barack Obama visited JiaoDa during a state visit to Beijing.
"Entering China" project
"Entering China" is an international exchange program sponsored by BJTU and the China Women and Children Development Center.
The project promotes international education, cultural exchange and cooperation between Chinese and foreign students. The program is jointly organized by BJTU and the China Women and Children Development Center in order to provide comprehensive education services for international students.
In 2007, BJTU appointed Studypath as a strategic technology partner to co-ordinate student enrollment in the project. The online service is a 'technological study-path' available worldwide that supports the exchange program both before and after the students arrive in China.
BJTU also cooperates with Shanghai Jiaotong University allowing business and economics students to use both campuses.
This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability policy. (November 2018)
- Cheng Kejie, former Vice Chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress.
- Liang Tsai-Ping, guzheng player
- Mao Yisheng, structural engineer, an expert on bridge construction, and a social activist.
- Zheng Zhenduo, a Chinese journalist, writer, archaeologist, and scholar
- Liu Han, founder of China's first radio station, "Father of China Broadcasting"
- ^ "Beijing Jiaotong University". en.bjtu.edu.cn. Retrieved 25 November 2018.
adhering to the university motto of 'knowing and doing',
- ^ "Beijing Jiaotong University". en.bjtu.edu.cn. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- ^ "教育部 财政部 国家发展改革委 关于公布世界一流大学和一流学科建设高校及建设 学科名单的通知 (Notice from the Ministry of Education and other national governmental departments announcing the list of double first class universities and disciplines)".
- ^ 作为交通大学的五大资源之一, 北京交通大学可以追溯到1898年。它以前被称为清政府成立的北京铁路管理学院。是我国第一所培养管理人才的高等院校。这是中国的一条现代铁路。管理和电信教育的发祥地
- ^ "新华网:北方交通大学更名为北京交通大学-北京交通大学新闻网". news.bjtu.edu.cn. Retrieved 2023-05-08.
- ^ "MAJLIS MENYAMBUT PELAJAR KOHORT... - Education Malaysia, Beijing-EMB". Education Malaysia, Beijing. Retrieved 6 May 2023.
- ^ "进入中国" 项目: vip 节目Archived 2008-07-27 at the Wayback Machine机器.的 影响.