Beijing Jiaotong University
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (April 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Motto in English
|Knowledge and Action|
|President||Ning Bin Chinese: 宁滨; pinyin: Nìng Bīn|
|Location||Beijing, Beijing Municipality, China|
Beijing Jiaotong University (Chinese: 北京交通大学), formerly Northern Jiaotong University (Chinese: 北方交通大学), is one of the oldest universities in mainland China. The main campus is located near Xizhimen in central Beijing. The university's name is often abbreviated by locals to JiaoDa (交大). JiaoDa is a participant in the Ministry of Education's Project 211, classifying it as a top Chinese university.
The university was a component of Jiaotong University (also named Chiao Tung University). In September 1909, the Postal Department of the Qing government founded the Railway Management Institute in Beijing. In 1920s, it merged with two technical schools in Shanghai and Tangshan to form the Jiaotong University, which had three campuses in Beijing, Shanghai and Tangshan, respectively, changing its name to Beiping Railway Management School. The Beijing campus was named National Jiaotong University, Beijing (交通大学北京学校). In 1949, the Beijing campus was renamed Northern Jiaotong University (Chinese: 北方交通大学). In September, 2003, it was once again renamed Beijing Jiaotong University (Chinese: 北京交通大学) to make its favorable locality explicit. The Shanghai campus has since separated into two universities which are now Shanghai Jiaotong University and Xi'an Jiaotong University, with a further sister branch in Nanchang.
Schools and faculties
As of 2009, Beijing Jiaotong University has the following under its administration:
- Electronic Information Engineering Institute
- Computer and Informational Technology Institute
- Economy Management Institute
- Communication and Transportation Institute
- Civil Engineering and Architecture Institute
- Mechanical and Electronic Control Engineering Institute
- Electric Power Institute
- Physical Sciences Institute
- Humanities and Social Sciences Institute
- Languages and communication studies Institute
- Long-Distance and Continued Education Institute
- Software Engineering Institute
- Architecture and Art Institute
- Graduate School
Altogether, the university has 22 research institutes and research centers, and 39 laboratories which include the transportation system simulation laboratory and transportation automation laboratory, which are the best of their kinds in China.
Beijing Jiaotong facilities include its own transmitter tower, hospital, hotels, TV station, indoor and outdoor swimming pool, gym, arboretum, moot courts, lip balm monkeys, museum, art gallery, railway line, and stadium.
As of 2009, there are 23810 full-time students on the campus, of whom are 7,527 graduate students working on masters or PhD programs, 500 international students, and 8,767 engaged in correspondence programs, night schools, and other full-time programs.
There are 2842 faculty members and scientists at the university, 10 of which are academicians of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and Chinese Academy of Engineering, 286 full professors, and 588 associate professors. The Transportation, Engineering, Law and ICT Faculties are particularly well-regarded.
The students at Beijing Jiaotong University are active in a societies that enrich their campus life in addition to their normal academic activities. The groups on the campus can be divided into four categories:
- Academic Societies (15 societies) which, among others, include the Foreign Languages Society, Literature Society, Computer Science Application Society, and Science Fiction Society.
- Volunteers Societies (13) which include the Red Cross Society, Journalist Society, and Psychological Health Society.
- Art Societies (11) which include the Film Society, Television Society, Media Society, Photography Society, New Dance Society, Magicians' Society, and Calligraphy and Painting Society
- Sports Societies (16) which include the Soccer Society, Tennis Society, Baseball Society, Cyclists' Society, Aircraft Model Society, and Bodybuilding Society.
Undergraduate Programs (Updated in Dec. 2014)
|Discipline (Degree)||Program||Program Code||School|
|Engineering||Communication Engineering||080703||School of Electronic and Information Engineering|
|Rail Traffic Signaling and Control||080802T|
|Electronic Science and Technology||080702|
|Mechanical Engineering*||080201||School of Mechanical, Electronic and Control Engineering|
|Measurement, Control Technology and Instrumentation*||080301|
|Energy and Power Engineering||080501|
|Civil Engineering||081001||School of Civil Engineering|
|Water Supply and Drainage Science and Engineering||081003|
|Traffic and Transportation*||081801||School of Traffic and Transportation|
|Nano-materials and Technology||080413T||School of Science|
|Computer Science and Technology*||080901||School of Computer and Information Technology|
|Internet of Things Engineering||080905|
|Electrical Engineering and Automation*||080601||School of Electrical Engineering|
|Software Engineering||080902||School of Software Engineering|
|Urban and Rural Planning||082802||School of Architecture and Design|
|Economics||Economics||020101||School of Economics and Management|
|Management||Labor and Social Security||120403|
|Information Management and Information System||120102|
|Science||Information and Computation Science||070102||School of Science|
|Opto-electronic Information Science and Engineering||080705|
|Mathematics and Applied Mathematics||070101|
|Architecture||Architecture||082801||School of Architecture and Design|
|Arts||Graphic Design||130502||School of Architecture and Design|
|Digital Media Arts||130508|
|English Language||050201||School of Languages &Communication Studies|
1. The table is made with reference to “The Catalog of Undergraduate Programs of Regular Higher Education Institutions of China, 2012”. 2. Length of Schooling: Urban and Rural Planning-5 years; Architecture-5 years; Others-4 years. 3. The programs marked with * are accredited by Washington Accord.
Beijing Jiaotong University is one of the earliest universities which authorized by the Chinese government to enroll overseas students. Ever since BJTU has received over 3,000 foreign students and visiting scholars from as many as 71 countries and regions of Asia, Africa, Europe and North America, etc. Jiaotong has agreements with universities in the United States, France, United Kingdom, Germany, Switzerland, Singapore, Japan, Australia and others. U.S. President Barack Obama saw JiaoDa on a state visit to Beijing.
"Entering China" project
The project's objective is to promote international education and cultural exchanges, promote Chinese culture and promote exchanges and cooperation between Chinese and foreign schools. The program is jointly organized by Beijing Jiaotong University and the China Women and Children Development Center in order to provide comprehensive education services for international students.
In 2007, Beijing Jiaotong University appointed Studypath as a strategic technology partner to co-ordinate and liaise with students and agencies to enroll in the project. The online service is a 'technological study-path' available worldwide that supports the exchange program, both before and after the students arrive in China. Beijing Jiaoda still cooperates on some level with its sister, Shanghai Jiaotong University, with business and economics students being able to switch campus.
- Official website
- Official website (simplified Chinese)
- Campus real three-dimensional map (Requires Registration via Chinese-only form)
- Official website of Studypath