Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2021)
|The Beijing Institute of Posts and Telecommunications|
|Motto||厚德 博学 敬业 乐群|
Motto in English
|Great Virtue, Profound Knowledge, Total Commitment, Harmonious Cooperation|
|Principal||Qiao Jianyong (乔建永)|
|about 30,000 registered part-time students|
|Campus||693 Chinese acres|
The Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications (BUPT) (Chinese: 北京邮电大学) is a key national university distinguished by the teaching and research in the field of cable communications, wireless communications, computer, and electronic engineering. BUPT is ranked as one of the top engineering schools in China under the Double First Class University Plan and former Project 211. In 2017 the U.S. News & World Report "Best Global Universities" rankings, BUPT is ranked 28th in computer science in the world. BUPT comprises 15 schools, and has an Joint Program with Queen Mary University of London,which is being educated in International School. It is a Chinese state Double First Class University identified by the Ministry of Education.
The university was created in 1955 under the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications. The name was changed from Institute to University in 1993. It is the most famous and renowned university in the field of telecommunications in China.
BUPT is one of 56 universities in China authorized to form a Graduate school by the General Office of the Academic Degree of the State Council. The Graduate School has developed graduate programs that cover engineering, science, economics, administration, law and philosophy. It is also one of the first universities in China to have doctoral and master programs.
In the 2005–2006 academic year, BUPT offered 33 undergraduate programs, 34 postgraduate programs, two professional degrees - MBA and Master of Engineering and 12 doctoral programs to domestic and foreign students.
Schools and institutes
|Schools and institutes||Official Website|
|School of Information and Communication Engineering||https://sice.bupt.edu.cn/|
|School of Electronic Engineering||https://see.bupt.edu.cn|
|School of Computer Science(National Pilot Software Engineering School)||https://scs.bupt.edu.cn|
|School of Cyberspace Security||https://scss.bupt.edu.cn|
|School of Artificial Intelligence||https://ai.bupt.edu.cn|
|School of Modern Post (School of Automation)||https://smp.bupt.edu.cn|
|School of Economics and Management||https://sem.bupt.edu.cn|
|School of Sciences||https://science.bupt.edu.cn|
|School of Humanities||https://sh.bupt.edu.cn|
|School of Digital Media and Design Arts||https://sdmda.bupt.edu.cn|
|School of Marxism||https://mtri.bupt.edu.cn|
|School of Continuing Education||https://sce.bupt.edu.cn/|
|School of Emergency Management|
- State Key Laboratory
- State Key Laboratory of Networking and Switching Technology
- State Key Laboratory of Information Photonics and Optical Communications (IPOC)
- Provincial Key Laboratory
- Key Laboratory of Universal Wireless Communications of Ministry of Education
- Key Laboratory of Trustworthy Distributed Computing and Service of Ministry of Education
- Beijing Key Laboratory of Intelligent Telecommunication Software and Multimedia
- Beijing Key Laboratory of Network System and Network Culture
- Beijing Key Laboratory of Work Safety Intelligent Monitoring
- Beijing Key Laboratory of Network System Architecture and Convergence
- Engineering Laboratory (Research Center)
- National Engineering Laboratory for Disaster Backup and Recovery
- State Engineering Laboratory for Information Security ( Pattern Recognition Laboratory of BUPT)
- Engineering Research Center of Information Networks of the Ministry of Education
- Engineering Research Center of Space Robotics of Ministry of Education
- Research Center of High-level and Characteristic Strategy for University Education of BUPT
- Beijing International scientific and technological cooperation Base for a New Generation of Wireless Network Architecture and Common Platform
Faculty and staff
There are over 230 professors and 426 associate professors out of the total of 1066 faculty members, among which include honorary professor Gao Kun, 2009 Nobel Prize winner of physics, Professor Ye Peida, academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Professor Zhou Jiongpan, academician of the Chinese Academy of Engineering (CAE), Professor Chen Junliang, academician of both CAS and CAE, Professor Fang Binxing, academician of CAE and Professor Xu Daxiong, academician of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kirgizstan. Other notable scholars include Yixin Zhong, Xiaomin Ren, Wanyi Gu, Wenbo Wang, Yixian Yang, Qiaoyan Wen and Jun Xia.
BUPT has over 16,200 full-time students and 12,000 long-distance and E-learning students. Among full-time students there are 10,800 undergraduates, 4650 master students and 805 doctoral students.
Discovered by astronomers with the Beijing Schmidt CCD Asteroid Program, asteroid 101810 Beiyou was named in honor of the University. The official naming citation was published by the Minor Planet Center on 24 September 2020 (M.P.C. 125471).
BUPT endeavors to foster students mentally and academically. Except for their daily academic studies, students take an active part in various national and international contests. Every year BUPT students take part in the National Undergraduate Electronic Design Contest, National and International Undergraduate Math Modeling Contest and many other contests. Their achievements are always among the best of the successful higher learning institutions competing in China. In the 2004 International Math Modeling Contest four delegations from BUPT won the First-Class Award and two delegations won the Second-Class Award.
BUPT's graduate employment rate among Chinese universities is aprroximately 98%. Most graduates are employed by famous IT companies at home and abroad.
In the 2001 national assessment, the following four second-grade subjects of BUPT: "Communication and Information System", "Electromagnetic Field and Microwave Technology", "Signal and Information Processing" and "Circuit and System" were accredited as national-level key subjects. Among them, "Communication and Information System" ranked No.1. Again, in the 2002 national assessment, two BUPT first-grade subjects-"Electronic Science and Technology" and "Information and Communication Engineering" ranked second and third.
BUPT has one ministry-level Engineering Center under the leadership of the Ministry of Education-"Research Center of Information Network Engineering" and one National University Science Park-"Information Valley".
BUPT is one of eight universities that took part in the initial construction of the "China Education and Research Network" (CERNET) in 1994. The university also takes part in CERNET2 which is a model project of the China Next Generation Internet (CNGI).
BUPT possesses all the top-end experimental instruments necessary for Information and Communication Sciences, with one of the highest instrument-value to student ratios among all of China's higher educational institutions. BUPT's library houses 970,000 books as well as providing first-class modern data retrieval and information inquiry services.
BUPT also conducts business through its Telecomm Enterprises Group and BUPT Logistic Industry and Service Group.
- "学校简介". Beijing University of Postal and Telecommunications. Archived from the original on September 3, 2010. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- "General Information". Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- "教育部 财政部 国家发展改革委 关于公布世界一流大学和一流学科建设高校及建设 学科名单的通知 (Notice from the Ministry of Education and other national governmental departments announcing the list of double first class universities and disciplines)".
- "(101810) Beiyou". Minor Planet Center. Retrieved October 20, 2020.
- "MPC/MPO/MPS Archive". Minor Planet Center. Retrieved October 20, 2020.
- BUPT Official Website
- Location of BUPT (using Google Earth)
- BeiYouRen Forum
- Site about entrance exam of postgraduate
- Campus real three-dimensional map