Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications
Logo of BUPT
|The Beijing Institute of Posts and Telecommunications|
|Motto||厚德 博学 敬业 乐群|
Motto in English
|Great Virtue, Profound Knowledge, Total Commitment, Harmonious Cooperation|
|Principal||Qiao Jianyong (乔建永)|
|about 30,000 registered part-time students|
|Campus||693 Chinese acres|
The Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications (BUPT) (Chinese: 北京邮电大学) is a key national university distinguished by the teaching and research in the field of cable communications, wireless communications, computer, and electronic engineering. BUPT is ranked as one of the top engineering schools in China. In 2017 the U.S. News & World Report "Best Global Universities" rankings, BUPT is ranked 28th in computer science in the world. BUPT comprises 17 schools, and has an international school program with Queen Mary University of London. It is a Chinese Ministry of Education Double First Class Discipline University, with Double First Class status in certain disciplines.
The university was created in 1955 under the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications. The name was changed from Institute to University in 1993. It is the most famous and renowned university in the field of telecommunications in China.
BUPT is one of the 56 universities in China that are authorized to formally form a Graduate school by the General Office of the Academic Degree of the State Council after a long time of the painstaking experiment. The Graduate School has developed complete graduate programs that cover the disciplines of engineering, science, economics, administration, law and philosophy. It is also one of the earliest universities in China that have officially been authorized to offer doctoral and master programs.
In the 2005–2006 academic year, BUPT offers 33 undergraduate programs, 34 postgraduate programs, two professional degrees - MBA and Master of Engineering, and 12 doctoral programs to the domestic and overseas students.
Schools and institutes
As the official website of BUPT announces:
- School of Information and Communication Engineering
- School of Electronic Engineering
- School of Computer Science
- School of Artificial Intelligence
- School of Modern Post (School of Automation)
- School of Software Engineering
- School of Cyberspace Security
- School of Digital Media and Design Arts
- School of Sciences
- School of Optoelectronic Information
- School of Economics and Management
- School of Humanities
- School of Public Management
- School of Network Education
- International School (Joint Programme with Queen Mary University of London)
- School of E-learning (Continuing Education)
- School of Ethnic Minority Education
- Teaching and Research Center of Marxism
- Institute of Network Technology
- Institute of Information Photonics and Optical Communications
- Institute of Perception Technology and Industry
- Yepeida School
- Sports Department
- State Key Laboratory
- State Key Laboratory of Networking and Switching Technology
- State Key Laboratory of Information Photonics and Optical Communications (IPOC)
- Provincial Key Laboratory
- Key Laboratory of Universal Wireless Communications of Ministry of Education
- Key Laboratory of Trustworthy Distributed Computing and Service of Ministry of Education
- Beijing Key Laboratory of Intelligent Telecommunication Software and Multimedia
- Beijing Key Laboratory of Network System and Network Culture
- Beijing Key Laboratory of Work Safety Intelligent Monitoring
- Beijing Key Laboratory of Network System Architecture and Convergence
- Engineering Laboratory (Research Center)
- National Engineering Laboratory for Disaster Backup and Recovery
- State Engineering Laboratory for Information Security ( Pattern Recognition Laboratory of BUPT)
- Engineering Research Center of Information Networks of the Ministry of Education
- Engineering Research Center of Space Robotics of Ministry of Education
- Research Center of High-level and Characteristic Strategy for University Education of BUPT
- Beijing International scientific and technological cooperation Base for a New Generation of Wireless Network Architecture and Common Platform
Faculty and staff
There are over 230 professors and 426 associate professors out of the total of 1066 faculty members, among which honorary professor Gao Kun, one of the 2009's Nobel Prize winners of physics, Professor Ye Peida, academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Professor Zhou Jiongpan, academician of the Chinese Academy of Engineering (CAE), Professor Chen Junliang, academician of both CAS and CAE, Professor Fang Binxing, academician of CAE, and Professor Xu Daxiong, academician of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kirgizstan are in the forefront of the outstanding professors, among many other notable scholars such as Yixin Zhong, Xiaomin Ren, Wanyi Gu, Wenbo Wang, Yixian Yang, Qiaoyan Wen, and Jun Xia.
Currently, BUPT has over 16,200 full-time students and 12,000 long-distance and E-learning students, among full-time students there are 10,800 undergraduate students, 4650 master students, and 805 doctoral students.
Asteroid 101810 Beiyou, discovered by astronomers with the Beijing Schmidt CCD Asteroid Program, was named in honor of the University. The official naming citation was published by the Minor Planet Center on 24 September 2020 (M.P.C. 125471).
This section does not cite any sources. (December 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
BUPT endeavors to foster students mentally and academically. Except for their daily academic studies, students take an active part in various national and international contests. Every year BUPT students take part in the National Undergraduate Electronic Design Contest, National and International Undergraduate Math Modeling Contest, and many other contests. Their achievements are always among the best of the successful higher learning institutions competing in China. In the International Math Modeling Contest in the United States in 2004, four delegations of BUPT won the First-Class Award and two delegations won the Second-Class Award, taking first place among the institutions of higher learning that participated in the contest.
BUPT's graduates boast the top employment rate among Chinese universities, about 98%, and most of them are employed by famous IT companies at home and abroad.
In the 2001 national assessment, the following four second-grade subjects of BUPT: "Communication and Information System", "Electromagnetic Field and Microwave Technology", "Signal and Information Processing" and "Circuit and System" were accredited as national-level key subjects. Among them, "Communication and Information System" ranked No.1. Again, in the 2002 national assessment, two BUPT first-grade subjects-"Electronic Science and Technology" and "Information and Communication Engineering" ranked second and third.
BUPT has one ministry-level Engineering Center under the leadership of the Ministry of Education-"Research Center of Information Network Engineering", and one National University Science Park-"Information Valley".
And BUPT is one of eight universities that took part in the initiation construction of "China Education and Research Network" (CERNET) in 1994. It also takes part in the demonstrating project of the CERNET2, a model project of the next-generation Internet (NGI), which adopts the pure Ipv6 protocol.
BUPT possesses all the top-end experimental instruments necessary for Information and Communication Sciences, with one of the highest instrument-value to student ratios among all of China's higher educational institutions. And BUPT's library houses 970,000 books of 152,000 kinds, notably providing first-class modern data retrieval and information inquiry services.
BUPT is also engaged in business through its Telecomm Enterprises Group and BUPT Logistic Industry and Service Group.
- "学校简介". Beijing University of Postal and Telecommunications. Archived from the original on September 3, 2010. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- "General Information". Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- "教育部 财政部 国家发展改革委 关于公布世界一流大学和一流学科建设高校及建设 学科名单的通知 (Notice from the Ministry of Education and other national governmental departments announcing the list of double first class universities and disciplines)".
- "(101810) Beiyou". Minor Planet Center. Retrieved October 20, 2020.
- "MPC/MPO/MPS Archive". Minor Planet Center. Retrieved October 20, 2020.
- BUPT Official Website
- Location of BUPT (using Google Earth)
- BeiYouRen Forum
- Site about entrance exam of postgraduate
- Campus real three-dimensional map