Being Human Foundation
|Type||Education and healthcare for underprivileged|
|Products||Clothing and watches|
|Services||Education, employment and medical treatment|
|Method||Direct training, funding medical treatment, supplies for the differently-abled|
The Being Human Foundation is a Mumbai-based charity, founded by Bollywood star Salman Khan in 2007, that provides education and healthcare services for the underprivileged in India. The organization is primarily funded by sales of Being Human-branded merchandise, which amounted to sales of Rs 300 crore in 2016.
The foundation performs many charitable activities. It funds the education of 200 children at the Akshara High School in Mumbai and another 300 through Aseema, a Mumbai-based non-profit. The foundation supports the VEER Initiative, a program to train differently-abled people. As of December 2015, the program has trained 1909 individuals, 1194 of whom have gained employment. The organization has set up programs to improve basic skills for students and career development centers.
Being Human has provided funding to treat children with congenital heart defects and craniofacial deformities. It has provided drought relief in Maharashtra and blankets for flood victims in Kashmir, conducted free eye camps to provide cataract surgeries, and helped conduct bone-marrow donor registration camps in Mumbai.
In 2018, the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai threatened to blacklist the foundation for failing to set up dialysis machines in Bandra. The project was a public-private partnership where the municipal government would provide the space while the foundation was to maintain and staff the low-cost dialysis facility. The foundation's representative denied that the organization signed any formal contract with the civic body.
- Akshara High School
- Career Development Centers
- Educational Resource Center, Maharashtra
- Maharashtra Prabodhan Seva Mandal (MPSM)
- Theatre And Drama Initiative
- Being Bajrangi
- Brillant School of Science
- Tubelight Project
- Akshara High School
- Maaya Foundation
- Marrow Donor Registry, India
- The Max Foundation
The charity accepts direct donations, but it is primarily funded by 8 to 10% share of the sales of Being Human-branded clothing, manufactured and marketed by Mandhana Industries, as a licensing fee for the use of charity's name as brand. The charity's share in 2016 was approximately INR3 crore from the sales revenue of nearly INR30 crore. A quarter of the brand's revenue comes from overseas sales and a tenth of the revenue comes from online sales.
- "BEING HUMAN FOUNDATION". www.beinghumanonline.com. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- "BEING HUMAN FOUNDATION- Education". www.beinghumanonline.com. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- "Salman's Being Human to walk franchise route". The Hindu. 2016-03-28. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- "BEING HUMAN FOUNDATION- Healthcare". www.beinghumanonline.com. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- "Big setback for Salman Khan! Being Human in trouble with BMC; find out why". The Financial Express. 2018-02-16. Retrieved 2018-08-05.
- "Salman Khan's Being Human in trouble with BMC, faces blacklist; here's why". Deccan Chronicle. 2018-02-16. Retrieved 2018-08-05.
- "Education". www.beinghumanonline.com. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "Partners". www.beinghumanonline.com. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "Tubelight: I was expecting minus 3 and minus 4, pleased to get ratings like 1, says Salman Khan". Hindustan Times. 2017-06-24. Retrieved 2018-04-23.
|This article about a philanthropic or charitable organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|