Beit Ijza

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Beit Ijza
Other transcription(s)
 • Arabicبيت إجزا
 • Also spelledBayt Ijza (official)
View of Beit Ijza, 2012
View of Beit Ijza, 2012
Beit Ijza is located in the Palestinian territories
Beit Ijza
Beit Ijza
Location of Beit Ijza within Palestine
Coordinates: 31°51′N 35°09′E / 31.850°N 35.150°E / 31.850; 35.150Coordinates: 31°51′N 35°09′E / 31.850°N 35.150°E / 31.850; 35.150
Palestine grid164/139
GovernorateJerusalem
Government
 • TypeLocal Development Committee
Elevation811 m (2,661 ft)
Population
(2007)
 • Jurisdiction698
Name meaningBeit Izza, the house of Izza, from personal name [2]

Beit Ijza (Arabic: بيت إجزا‎, also spelled Bayt Ijza); is a village in the Jerusalem Governorate in the central West Bank with an area of 2,526 dunams. Located approximately six miles north of Jerusalem, it had a population of 698 in 2007.[3]

Location[edit]

Beit Ijza is located 11 kilometers (6.8 mi) north-west of Jerusalem, bordered by Al Jib to the east and Al Jib lands to the north, Beit Duqqu to the west, and Biddu to the south.[1]

History[edit]

Ottoman era[edit]

Beit Ijza was incorporated into the Ottoman Empire in 1517 with all of Palestine, and in 1596 it appeared in the tax registers as being in the nahiya of Al-Quds in the liwa of Al-Quds under the name of Bayt Iza. It had a population of 6 household;[4] who were all Muslims. They paid a fixed Ziamet tax-rate of 33,3 % on agricultural products, including wheat, barley, summer crops, olive trees, vineyards, fruit trees, goats and beehives, in addition to occasional revenues; a total of 2,500 akçe.[4]

In 1838, it was described as a Muslim village, located in the Beni Malik area, west of Jerusalem.[5]

In 1883 the Palestine Exploration Fund's Survey of Western Palestine (SWP) described Beit Izza as: "a village of moderate size on a hill with a spring at some distance to the west."[6]

British Mandate era[edit]

In the 1922 census of Palestine conducted by the British Mandate authorities, "Bait Izza" had a population of 59 Muslims,[7] decreasing slightly in the 1931 census to 54 Muslims, in 14 houses.[8]

In the 1945 statistics Beit Ijza had a population of 70 Muslims,[9] with a total of 2,550 dunams of land, according to an official land and population survey.[10] Of this, Arabs used 122 dunams for plantations and irrigable land, 922 for cereals,[11] while 8 dunams were built-up land.[12]

Jordanian era[edit]

In the wake of the 1948 Arab–Israeli War, and after the 1949 Armistice Agreements, Beit Ijza came under Jordanian rule.

The Jordanian census of 1961 found 129 inhabitants in Beit Ijza.[13]

Post 1967[edit]

After the Six-Day War in 1967, Beit Ijza has been under Israeli occupation.

Under the 1995 Oslo II Accord, 6.7% of the total village area was assigned as Area B, the remaining 93.3% became Area C, under full Israeli control. The Israelis have confiscated land in Beit Ijza for its Israeli settlements, including Giv'at Ze'ev and Giv'on Ha'hadasha. In addition, the Segregation Wall extends onto Beit Ijza land, leaving 980 dunums, (or 38.1% of the total village's area), behind the wall, on the Israeli side. The Palestinian owners of the land must rely on Israeli permission to access their land. Permission is only granted to the property owner, often elderly people, leaving them unable to hire help to work the land.[14]

Shrine[edit]

Tawfiq Canaan found a Maqam (shrine) for en-nabi Yusif, on a spot which dominated Beit Ijza.[15]

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b Beit Ijza village profile, ARIJ, 2012, p. 4
  2. ^ Palmer, 1881, p. 286
  3. ^ Population, Housing and Establishment Census 2007. Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS). 2008. Retrieved on 2012-02-27.
  4. ^ a b Hütteroth and Abdulfattah, 1977, p. 119
  5. ^ Robinson and Smith, 1841, vol 3, Appendix 2, p. 124
  6. ^ Conder and Kitchener, 1883, SWP III, p. 16
  7. ^ Barron, 1923, Table VII, Sub-district of Jerusalem, p. 15
  8. ^ Mills, 1932, p. 38
  9. ^ Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics, 1945, p. 24
  10. ^ Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 56
  11. ^ Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 101
  12. ^ Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 151
  13. ^ Government of Jordan, Department of Statistics, 1964, p. 23
  14. ^ Beit Ijza village profile, 2012, ARIJ, pp. 16-17
  15. ^ Canaan, 1927, pp. 4, 17, 294, 295

Bibliography[edit]

External links[edit]