Bejucal railway station
Bejucal municipality (red) within
Mayabeque Province (yellow) and Cuba
|• Total||120 km2 (50 sq mi)|
|Elevation||105 m (344 ft)|
|• Density||211.9/km2 (549/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
Bejucal is a municipality and town in the Mayabeque Province of Cuba. It was founded in 1874. It is well known as the terminal station of the first railroad built in Cuba and Latin America in 1831. It also hosts one of the most popular and traditional carnival fest in Cuba: "Charangas de Bejucal".
Notable current and former residents of Bejucal include:
- Andy García, actor, was born and lived here until the age of five.
- Albio Sires, Member of the United States House of Representatives from New Jersey's 13th congressional district.
- Guije.com. "Bejucal" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 12 October 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-07.
- Statoids (July 2003). "Municipios of Cuba". Archived from the original on 12 October 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-07.
- Atenas.cu (2004). "2004 Population trends, by Province and Municipality" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2007-10-07.[dead link]
- Albio Sires, Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Accessed September 25, 2007.
Media related to Bejucal at Wikimedia Commons