|⁃ location||East Kalimantan|
The river traverses 3 districts in the upstream area of Kutai Kartanegara Regency, namely Kenohan, Kembang Janggut, and Tabang. The high flow rate during flooding constantly eroded the land on the river banks, causing damages to the houses built next to it. Belayan flows into Mahakam River near Muhuran, Kotabangun, and Bukit Tinjawang.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
The river flows in the eastern area of Borneo island with predominantly tropical rainforest climate (designated as Af in the Köppen-Geiger climate classification). The annual average temperature in the area is 23 °C. The warmest month is March, when the average temperature is around 24 °C, and the coldest is January, at 22 °C. The average annual rainfall is 2780 mm. The wettest month is December, with an average of 351 mm rainfall, and the driest is August, with 138 mm rainfall.
Belayan river is vital for the population along its banks for transportation, water source for daily life, and also for occupation for some inhabitants, such as fish and gold. The river is important for the people of three districts: Kenohan, Kembang Janggut, and Tabang, even for centuries was the only access route to those three districts. At the upstream of Belayan there are some villages of Dayak Kenyak tribe, such as Ritan Baru, Tabang District, which can be reached about 1 or 2 days by boat or ferry from Samarinda. It took about two days and one night to travel from Tabang to Tenggarong using river transportation. The local Dayak tribe is known for wood sculptures and other handicrafts.
Along the river there are many ports to transport coals from the mines in Kutai Kartanegara for export.
Due to sedimentation, Belayan river needs to be dredged regularly, so that it flows steadily to the downstream and doesn't cause much flooding.
Belayan River is a habitat of Mahakam or Irrawaddy dolphin (Orcaella brevirostris), one of the river animals in the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species, and also of little egret (Egretta garzetta).
- Sungai Belayan in Chinese. English Chinese Web Dictionary.
- Rand McNally, The New International Atlas, 1993.
- Sungai Belayan at Geonames.org (cc-by); Last updated 17 January 2012; Database dump downloaded 27 November 2015
- Sungai Belayan, Urat Nadi Warga Hulu Kukar. STV Samarinda. 21 March 2018.
- Air Sungai Belayan terus Menggerus Tanah, 30 Rumah sudah Dibongkar. Penulis: Rahmad Taufik. Editor: Adhinata Kusuma. Sumber: Tribun Kaltim. 22 November 2018.
- Sungai Belayan. MapCarta
- "NASA Earth Observations Data Set Index". NASA. 30 January 2016.
- Peel, M C; Finlayson, B L; McMahon, T A (2007). "Updated world map of the Köppen-Geiger climate classification". Hydrology and Earth System Sciences. 11. doi:10.5194/hess-11-1633-2007.
- "NASA Earth Observations: Rainfall (1 month – TRMM)". NASA/Tropical Rainfall Monitoring Mission. 30 January 2016.
- Sungai Belayan, Anak Sungai Mahakam Dalam Bingkai Imaji. Yunaidi Joepoet. Ransel Kosong. Oktober 2013.
- Guide recommendations for Sungai Mahakam and Kutai?. Trip Advisor. 22 February 2014, 10:47 pm
- Sungai Belayan akan Dikeruk. Koran Kaltim. 8 August 2017.
- (in Indonesian) Konsepsi pola penatagunaan hutan secara mikro, daerah aliran sungai Belayan, propinsi Dati I Kalimantan Timur. Banjarbaru, 1980.