This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Associated acts||The Belbury Circle|
The Focus Group
The Advisory Circle
|Website||Belbury Poly on Ghost Box|
Belbury Poly is the studio band of Ghost Box Records co-founder Jim Jupp. Jupp is the main composer and producer and also plays synth, keyboards and guitar. Other members are session musicians, that have included: Christopher Budd on bass and lead guitar, Jim Musgrave on drums, James Allen on drums, David Sharp on acoustic guitar and Jon Brooks on piano.
Working with analogue electronics and wide range of unusual instrumentation and more recently supported by session players on drums and guitars, Belbury Poly's soundworld is characterised as a kind of upbeat, electronic and rustic prog rock. Influences, range from old library music and TV soundtracks to keyboard driven 1970s prog rock, folk and Krautock.
Jupp has spoken about Belbury Poly and the other artists on Ghost Box as sounding like the misremembered past of a parallel world, as well as acknowledging a debt to the author Arthur Machen. The name references the fictional town of Belbury, created by the author C.S. Lewis in his novel That Hideous Strength.
Jim Jupp has released EPs, singles and six albums on Ghost Box under the name of Belbury Poly. He is also a member of The Belbury Circle along with Jon Brooks (of The Advisory Circle) and occasional collaborator, John Foxx. In 2019 he co-wrote and produced the music and spoken word album Chanctonbury Rings with Justin Hopper and Sharron Kraus. He has recorded library tracks for KPM, BMG and Lo-Editions. He has remixed tracks for several artists including John Foxx and Bill Ryder-Jones (The Coral). The track "The Willows" taken from the first Belbury Poly album of the same name was reworked by Paul Weller as "Earth Beat" for his 2020 album On Sunset. The debut EP by Belbury Poly, Farmer’s Angle was included in an Electronic Sound magazine feature, A History of Electronic Music in 75 Records.
Albums and EPs
|Farmer's Angle||3" CD EP/DL||Ghost Box||GBX001||2004|
|The Willows||CD/LP/DL||Ghost Box||GBX003||2005|
|The Owl's Map||CD/DL||Ghost Box||GBX007||2006|
|From an Ancient Star||CD/DL||Ghost Box||GBX011||2009|
|Farmer's Angle (Revised Edition)||CD/10"/DL||Ghost Box||GBX014||2010|
|The Belbury Tales||CD/LP/DL||Ghost Box||GBX016||2012|
|New Ways Out||CD/LP/DL||Ghost Box||GBX024||2016|
|The Gone Away||CD/LP/DL||Ghost Box||GBX035||2020|
|Belbury Poly and Moon Wiring Club||Study Series 01: Youth and Recreation||7"/DL||GBX701||2010|
|Belbury Poly and Mordant Music||Study Series 03: Welcome to Godalming||7"/DL||GBX703||2010|
|Belbury Poly and The Advisory Circle||Study Series 08: Inversions||7"/DL||GBX708||2012|
|Belbury Poly and Spacedog||Study Series 10: Message and Method||7"/DL||GBX710||2013|
|Pye Corner Audio with Belbury Poly||Other Voices 05: Machines are Obsolete/Pathways||7"/DL||GBX715||2015|
|Sharron Kraus with Belbury Poly||Other Voices 10: Something out of Nothing||7"/DL||GBX720||2018|
|Album Title||Album Artist||Label||Catalogue Number||Year|
|Ley Line||Justin Hopper||Bandcamp||self-released||2014|
|Shirley Inspired: A Tribute to Shirley Collins||Various Artists||Earth||EARTHLP003||2015|
|Folklore of Plants Volume 1||Various Artists||Folklore Tapes||2017|
|Chanctonbury Rings||Justin Hopper, Sharron Kraus and Belbury Poly||Ghost Box||GBX033||2019|
|Intermission||Various Artists||Ghost Box||GBXD008||2020|
|Track Title||Original Artist||Album,Single,EP title||Label||Catalogue Number||Year|
|Taxi Negro (Black Cab Mix)||Tre-molo||Visitas||Mil Records||MRCD009||2008|
|Ghost Office (Remixed by Belbury Poly)||Xylitol||Xylitol Music as played by Other People||self-released||2010|
|Escape Hatch||Bernard Fevre||The Strange World of Bernard Fevre Remixes||Universal||NJ9048||2010|
|And The Cuckoo Comes To Belbury||The Advisory Circle||Mind How You Go (Revised Edition)||Ghost Box||GBX013||2010|
|Lights And Offerings (Belbury Poly Mix)||Mirrors||The White EP||Skint||SKINT216ID||2011|
|Summerland (Belbury Poly Mix)||John Foxx and the Maths||The Shape of Things||Metamatic||META29CD||2011|
|If... (Belbury Poly Mix)||Bill Ryder-Jones||If... Remixes||Domino||DS061||2012|
|Hobby Horse||The Memory Band||Further Navigations||Static Caravan||Van 272||2014|
|Broken Folk||Seatman and Powell||Broken Folk||KS Audio||KSA 008||2018|
|Something Out of Nothing||Sharron Kraus||Other Voices 10||Ghost Box||GBX720||2018|
The Belbury Circle (Belbury Poly and The Advisory Circle) Discography
|Empty Avenues||10" EP/CD EP/DL||Ghost Box||GBX019||2013|
|Outward Journeys||CD/LP/DL||Ghost Box||GBX029||2017|
- "Belbury Poly on ploughman's lunches, prog rock and avoiding "Clarkson/Wakeman territory"". Factmag.com. 1 February 2012.
- "Label Profile: Ghost Box | Clash Music Exclusive General". web.archive.org. 12 May 2012.
- "Cardboard Cutout Sundown: Interview with Jim Jupp". Jameshoodillustration.blogspot.com. 20 December 2010.
- Reynolds, Simon (15 October 2017). "Hauntology: Ghost Box label profile, Frieze magazine October 2005". Reynoldsretro.blogspot.com. Retrieved 26 October 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Society of the spectral Archived 23 February 2007 at the Wayback Machine, The Wire no. 276, November 2006
- "15 questions | Interview | Jim Jupp | Circle of Friends". 15questions.net. Retrieved 5 September 2020.
- "The art of noise refined-Arts & Entertainment-Music-TimesOnline". web.archive.org. 1 April 2007.
- "Home - Ghost Box".
- Stickler, Jon. "Paul Weller Shares New Song Earth Beat From Upcoming Album 'On Sunset' - Stereoboard". Stereoboard.com. Retrieved 5 September 2020.
- "Issue 65 Print Edition | Out Of Stock – Electronic Sound". electronicsound.co.uk.
- "Catalogue Archive - Ghost Box".
- "Ley Line, by Justin Hopper". Jackdaw Shivers Press.
- "Shirley Inspired, by Shirley Inspired..." Shirley Inspired...
- Tapes, Folklore. "The Folklore of Plants Vol.I". Folklore Tapes.
- Seatman, Keith (12 November 2018). "Test Transmission all things Keith Seatman and more: Out Now. Broken Folk 10 inch EP and Digi Release".
- "Sharron Kraus with Belbury Poly - Other Voices 10". Ghost Box.
- Belbury Poly on Ghost Box
- Quietus Interview with Julian House on Ghost Box
- The Sunday Times article on contemporary electronic music, including Ghost Box and Belbury Poly(subscription required)
- Interview with Jim Jupp by The Haunted Generation Blog