Belconnen United FC
|Full name||Belconnen United Football Club|
|Ground||Belconnen Soccer Centre|
|League||NPL Capital Football|
The Belconnen United Soccer Club was formed in 1970 as the new Canberra district of Belconnen was establishing. The club competed in the top ACT league from 1975 and has won the competition on a number of occasions.
They played in the New South Wales Premier League as Belconnen Blue Devils from 2000 to 2005, and lost to Bonnyrigg White Eagles in the 2005 Preliminary Final, whilst they were Premiers (1st in the league) and losing Grand Finalists in 2004. In 2006 they were kicked out of the New South Wales Premier League because of disputes between the club and the board of the league.
The club returned to the ACT Premier League, now renamed as Belconnen United Football Club, finishing second in the 2006 competition.
Belconnen has established a relationship with A-League club Central Coast Mariners that will include an annual match between the two teams known as the Bank of Queensland Cup. The match will be played as part of the Mariners pre-season preparations, and assist in building further connections with the ACT footballing community. The first match was held on 30 June 2007, Mariners winning 4-0.
- Nikolai Topor-Stanley who now plays for Western Sydney Wanderers, having previously played for Newcastle Jets, Perth Glory and Sydney FC
- Mathew Kemp who played for Adelaide United, and Melbourne Victory now retired.
- Adam Casey formerly with Sydney FC
- Tom Rogić currently signed with Glasgow Celtic
The Belconnen United Football Club receives financial support from Belconnen Soccer Club and Food on the Run.
- Media Release - Inaugural Bank of Queensland Cup, Capital Football, 8 June 2007
- MacDonald, Daniel (2007-07-01). "United outclassed but Cheyne a star". Canberra Times. Retrieved 2007-07-04.[dead link]
|This article about an Australian association football club is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|