|Owner(s)||Independent News & Media|
|Founder(s)||William & George Baird|
|Headquarters||124-144 Royal Avenue
Belfast, Northern Ireland
|Sister newspapers||Sunday Life|
It was first published as the Belfast Evening Telegraph on 1 September 1870 by brothers William and George Baird. Its first edition cost half a penny and ran to four pages covering the Franco-Prussian war and local news.
The evening edition of the newspaper was originally called the "Sixth Late", and "Sixth Late Tele" was a familiar cry made by vendors in Belfast City Centre in the past.
The Belfast Telegraph was entirely broadsheet until 19 February 2005, when the Saturday morning edition was introduced and all Saturday editions were converted to compact. The weekday morning Compact Edition, launched on 22 March 2005, struggled to replicate the evening newspaper's success. Its editorial content has been much more tabloid, with a greater entertainment story count than the evening paper. Much prominence is given to English-based sport, and some general features and columns are shared with The Independent and Irish Independent.
The paper now publishes two editions daily, Belfast Telegraph final edition and the North West Telegraph which is distributed in Derry.
- Circulation was 109,571 for the period July to December 2002.
- Circulation was 68,024 for the period January to June 2009.
- Circulation was 49,228 for the period January to June 2013.
- Circulation was 41,912 for the period January to June 2016.
The Belfast Telegraph is the primary title of Independent News & Media (NI) Ltd. It carries many supplements including:
- nijobfinder - appears in the paper every Tuesday and Friday. The nijobfinder brand launched its website in December 2008, www.nijobfinder.co.uk, which quickly rose to prominence to provide be the number one Job Site  in Northern Ireland. An ad in nijobfinder is read by 466,000 people  making it the no 1 resource  for finding employment in Northern Ireland, by some distance.
- nicarfinder - is the Wednesday supplement; every ad published with nicarfinder is seen by 130,000 people. nicarfinder launched a new version of their website, www.nicarfinder.co.uk, in May 2012; it has one of the most powerful search engines offering users unique functionality in car search.
- HomeFinder - the property supplement, focusing on the home - from interior decor, to house prices, to the latest and most glamorous homes on the market in Northern Ireland. Propertynews.com is the topmost property website in Northern Ireland, showing thousands of houses currently on the market and content from the Home Finder.
- Weekend Supplement
- OutThere Guide - the OutThere guide is printed monthly and is a resource for those socialising around Northern Ireland.
They ceased to print the Ireland's Saturday Night sports evening newspaper in July 2008.
A sister paper is Sunday Life. Also associated is Ads for Free. And the paper holds the printing contract for The Daily Mirror, The Sun, The Independent, The Daily Telegraph, The Irish Daily Star, The Daily Star and The Times for Northern Ireland.
The Belfast Telegraph was named as Best UK Regional Newspaper of the Year 2012 by the Society of Editors Regional Press Awards.
At the Coca-Cola CIPR Awards, the Belfast Telegraph scooped the following awards: Newspaper of the Year, Website of the Year, Supplement of the Year for its Titanic Tales series, Business Journalist of the Year Claire McNeilly, Production Journalist of the year for Heather Byrne, Features Journalist of the Year for Jane Hardy and Lifetime Achievement Award for former Editor Roy Lilley.
- "Belfast Telegraph expands Saturday coverage". Belfast Telegraph. 9 February 2005. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "Ulster wakes up to new early Telegraph". Belfast Telegraph. 21 March 2005. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- Plunkett, John (27 August 2009). "Regional ABC August 2009". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 23 April 2012.
-  2 Jan 2013 - Jun 2013
- ABC February 2012 - http://www.abc.org.uk/Products-Services/Product-Page/?tid=22532
- Belfast Telegraph, Sunday Life & nijobfinder.co.uk over 4 weeks
- NITGI 2012
- NITGI2012 - Read nicarfinder supplement in print every week & nicarfinder.co.uk online every month
- Canning, Margaret (28 May 2012). "Belfast Telegraph is named best regional daily in the UK at prestigious awards ceremony". Belfast Telegraph. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "NI Media Awards".[dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Belfast Telegraph.|