Belford, New Jersey
Belford, New Jersey
Map of Belford CDP in Monmouth County. Inset: Location of Monmouth County in New Jersey.
|• Total||1.313 sq mi (3.401 km2)|
|• Land||1.279 sq mi (3.313 km2)|
|• Water||0.034 sq mi (0.088 km2) 2.60%|
|Elevation||10 ft (3 m)|
|• Density||1,382.2/sq mi (533.7/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (Eastern (EDT))|
|GNIS feature ID||002389194|
Belford is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) located within Middletown Township, in Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the CDP's population was 1,768.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP had a total area of 1.313 square miles (3.401 km2), including 1.279 square miles (3.313 km2) of land and 0.034 square miles (0.088 km2) of water (2.60%).
2090-2010 2000 2010
As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 1,768 people, 584 households, and 459.024 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,382.2 per square mile (533.7/km2). There were 616 housing units at an average density of 481.6 per square mile (185.9/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 94.17% (1,665) White, 1.53% (27) Black or African American, 0.00% (0) Native American, 2.04% (36) Asian, 0.00% (0) Pacific Islander, 0.57% (10) from other races, and 1.70% (30) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.09% (143) of the population.
There were 584 households out of which 38.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.9% were married couples living together, 10.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.4% were non-families. 15.8% of all households were made up of individuals, and 3.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.93 and the average family size was 3.32.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 26.1% under the age of 18, 7.9% from 18 to 24, 27.6% from 25 to 44, 30.9% from 45 to 64, and 7.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38.6 years. For every 100 females there were 100.0 males. For every 100 females ages 18 and older there were 100.3 males.
As of the 2000 United States Census there were 1,340 people, 436 households, and 374 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,058.9 people per square mile (407.4/km2). There were 458 housing units at an average density of 361.9/sq mi (139.2/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 97.16% White, 0.22% African American, 0.07% Native American, 0.67% Asian, 1.12% from other races, and 0.75% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.70% of the population.
There were 436 households out of which 42.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 69.5% were married couples living together, 11.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 14.2% were non-families. 10.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.06 and the average family size was 3.29.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 27.2% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 34.4% from 25 to 44, 22.8% from 45 to 64, and 8.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females, there were 98.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.6 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $66,964, and the median income for a family was $70,583. Males had a median income of $51,830 versus $35,052 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $25,412. About 1.3% of families and 3.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.9% of those under age 18 and 6.1% of those age 65 or over.
The ferry slip at Belford is NY Waterway's Raritan Bayshore terminal with service to Paulus Hook Ferry Terminal in Jersey City, Pier 11 at Wall Street, the Battery Park City Ferry Terminal, and West Midtown Ferry Terminal in New York City. Boats travel across the Lower New York Bay and enter the harbor at The Narrows for a trip that takes approximately 50 minutes. In 2011, $2.5 million in state funding was awarded to improve the bulkhead at the facility.
People who were born in, residents of, or otherwise closely associated with Belford include:
- Knowshon Moreno, running back for the Denver Broncos and Miami Dolphins.
- Tammy Lynn Sytch, professional wrestling manager best known for her time in the World Wrestling Federation as the character, Sunny.
- Gazetteer of New Jersey Places, United States Census Bureau. Accessed July 21, 2016.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Belford Census Designated Place, Geographic Names Information System. Accessed August 7, 2012.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data for Belford CDP, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed August 7, 2012.
- Look Up a ZIP Code for Belford, NJ, United States Postal Service. Accessed August 7, 2012.
- Zip Codes, State of New Jersey. Accessed August 27, 2013.
- American FactFinder, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- US Board on Geographic Names, United States Geological Survey. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- New Jersey: 2010 - Population and Housing Unit Counts - 2010 Census of Population and Housing (CPH-2-32), United States Census Bureau, August 2012. Accessed December 16, 2012.
- GCT-PH1 - Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place from the 2010 Census Summary File 1 for Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed December 16, 2012.
- US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Demographic Characteristics: 2000 from the Census 2000 Summary File 1 (SF 1) 100-Percent Data for Belford CDP, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed December 16, 2012.
- Belford / Harbor Way, NY Waterway. Accessed July 21, 2016.
- Frassinelli, Mike. "N.J. receives $4.5M in grants from Department of Transportation for ferry-related projects", The Star-Ledger, August 17, 2011. Accessed July 21, 2016.
- Monmouth County Bus / Rail Connections, New Jersey Transit, backed up by the Internet Archive as of July 26, 2010. Accessed August 6, 2012.
- Strickland, Carter. "Dogs offensive line good, but not great", Atlanta Journal-Constitution, September 25, 2007. Accessed October 17, 2007. "Moreno, a 5-foot-11, 207-pound native of Belford, N.J., tied senior Thomas Brown with a team-leading 74 rushing yards during the Bulldogs' 26-23 overtime win."
- "WWE Hall Of Famer Tamara Sytch Charged In Seaside With 6th DWI". February 26, 2019. Retrieved February 26, 2019.