|This article does not cite any sources. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Neighbourhood in Kolkata (Calcutta)|
|• Lok Sabha constituency||Dum Dum|
|• Vidhan Sabha constituency||Kamarhati|
|• Official||Bengali and English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||91 33|
Belgharia (Bengali: বেলঘরিয়া) is a suburb and a city north of Kolkata. It is situated near Barrackpore Trunk Road under Kamarhati Municipality. Now it has become a business hub, well connected with Kolkata through trains, buses and other means of transport. The name "Belgharia" is derived from "Bell Ghor" (বেলঘর). There was a Big bell used for calling the porters for unloading and carrying jute from the boats. The oldest jetty was situated in Ariadaha on the river Ganges. In the 17th century Belgharia and Nimta were the biggest wholesale markets for jute, fish and vegetables. Belgharia is one of the stations on the main train line starting from Sealdah. This place is a suburb of Kolkata city capital of West Bengal in India.
Feeder road is one of the main roads in Belghoria. Feeder road connects Belghoria to B.T. Road (i.e. Barrackpore Trunk Road) to the west and through Madhusudan Banerjee (MB) Road to Birati and consequently to Jessore Road in the east.
Ramakrishna Paramhansa visited this place eight times; the first time was in 1875. Ramakrishna Mission is also situated here. They run a Students' Home for meritorious poor and needy students along with a three-year Diploma Engg. College . They also conduct relief activities with a public library and homeopathic dispensary. Swami Vijnanananda, a direct disciple of Ramakrishna also resided here. The nearest Industrial area is Kamarhatty (3 km), with the following companies: Agarpara Jute Mill, Allied Ceramic, ESDEE Allumina, Emami, Kamarhatty Jute Mill, Texmaco, TIL, WIMCO .A small unit of Ramkrishna Mission is situated here (near Belgharia flyover) which was established by Swami Vijnananandaji, architect of Belur Math.
Satyendra Nath Dutta (Bengali: সত্যেন্দ্রনাথ দত্ত) (1882-1922), a Bengali poet, is considered the wizard of rhymes (or ছন্দের যাদুকর - chhonder jadukar in Bengali) was born at NIMTA of Belgharia, under District North 24-Parganas.
- Bhairab Ganguly College,
- The Shanti Kids' Academy
- Belgharia High School for Boys,
- Belgharia Jatindas Vidyamandir,
- Udaypur Haradayal Nag Adarsha Vidyalaya
- Belgharia Mahakali Girls High School
- Belgharia Ramakrishna Mission (Polytechnic Institution)
- Trivasa Academy High School
- Deshpriyo Vidyaniketan for Boys
- Deshpriyo Vidyaniketan for Girls
- Nimta Higher Secondary School
- Udaypur Haradayal Nag Adarsha Vidyalaya
- Belgharia Jatiya Vidyaniketan
- Nandan Nagar High School
- Chhatramangal Abhay Smriti Vidyaniketan
- Sishu Nalanda Primary School
- Alok Tirtha Nursary & KG School
- Kajal Memorial School
- Adamas International school
- Adarsha Sishu Niketan, Nandan Nagar
- Sishu Bhawan
- Rabindra Path Bhawan
- RABINDRA PATH BHAWAN
- Prafulla Nagar Acharya Prafulla Chandra Vidyapith
- Near Anal Saha House
- Belgharia Rail Bazar- For Fresh Vegetables & Fish
- Belgharia Municipal Market
- Dr. P.N.Dey market
- ANUSREE, 6 Umesh Mukherjee Rd. (A Class Readymade Garments & School Uniforms)
- Sadananda Chawk
- Ghola Road bazar
- Deshpriya Nagar Colony Bazar
- Spencer's - near Rathtala crossing
- SWADESHI- (Grocery, Cosmetics, Stationery) - near Flyover
- Maa Home Service-Arabinda Nagar
- Exclusive Readymade Bazar (Bata Bus Stop)
- Putul mobile servicing centre at (nandan nagar)
- Parry Mohun Library - Just opposite to Belgharia Bata
- Belgharia Text Book Library - Indrapuri
Hospitals and health centres
- Ariadah Matri Sadan.
- Sagar Dutta State General Hospital & Medical College.
- Zenith Multispeciality Hospital.
- Sahid Khudiram bose hospital.
- Diagaid Clinic & Diagnostic Centre
- Chhatra Mangal Ambulance Service
- Sandhikhyan-Belgharia Ambulance service (AC)
Major medicine shops
- Life Line Medico-Near Power House
- Shyama Medical - Near Belgharia high school
- Dayal Medical - Near Bata
- Ghosh Medical -Near Flyover
- Seba Medical -Arabinda Nagar
- Nakhatra medical hall- Rathtala
- Baba Lokenath Pharmacy-Kalitala more
Banks and ATMs
- State Bank of India with ATM - Shankar Bhawan - Opposite Belgharia A C Market, Badamtalla & Culture More
- Bank of Baroda with ATM - Branch beside Belgharia Head Post Office, ATM at Belgharia Power House
- Allahabad Bank - Above Axis Bank - Opposite Belgharia Bata
- UCO Bank
- HDFC Bank with ATM - Opposite Bhairav Ganguly College
- AXIS Bank with ATM - Opposite Belgharia Bata & Badamtalla
- Central Bank of India with ATM - Branch at P N Dey Market - ATM beside Belgharia Head Post Office
- ICICI Bank ATM - at Belgharia Badamtalla and Belgharia Rail Bazaar
- United Bank of India with ATM - at Belgharia Badamtalla
- PNB with ATM Near Belgharia Power House
- IDBI ATM at Rathtala
- ANDHRA Bank ATM at Nimta Bazar
Communication Links to Kolkata and other places
Nearest Railway Stations - Belgharia, Birati and Baranagar
- Bus Route from Brlgharia 234 (to Golf green via Sealdah -Minto Park), 234/1 (to Golf green via Esplanade, Rabindra Sadan), 201(to SDF),
- Belgharia Howrah Mini (from Nandan Nagar to Howrah F.S)
- To Sealdah (North) via Local Train
- To Sodepur via Local train, BT Road & Nilgunj road
- To Barrackpore via local train, BT Road.
- To BT Road via Feeder Road
- To Birati Railway Station Via MB Road
- To Baranagore Road Railway Station via BT Road
- To Dakshineswar via Belgharia Expressway/Auto Route/DN2 Bus Route.
- To Dumdum Airport Via Belgharia Expressway*
- To Salt lake & New Town via Belgharia Expressway*
The place is now beaming up with flats. People can have an easy access to anything within no time.
Belgharia still oozes old world charm of Bengal. The cosmopolitan culture of new age Bengal hasn't yet penetrated the town. The population consists of generally middle class Bengali. Of late a lot of student messes has sprung up chiefly because of the comparative low cost of living and close proximity to the city of Kolkata.
- N.B.Belgharia is the birthplace of SKM
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Belgharia.|