Belgium at the 1972 Summer Olympics
|Belgium at the Olympic Games|
|At the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich|
|Competitors||88 (82 men and 6 women) in 14 sports|
|Flag bearer||Gaston Roelants|
|Olympic history (summary)|
Belgium finished in 29th position in the final medal rankings, with two silver medals.
In the first modern archery competition at the Olympics, Belgium entered three men. Their highest placing competitor was Robert Cogniaux, who missed a medal by 22 points.
Men's Individual Competition:
- Robert Cogniaux — 2445 points (4th place)
- Andre Baeyens — 2383 points (18th place)
- Jos Daman — 2365 points (23rd place)
Men's 800 metres
- Herman Mignon
- Heat — 1:47.5
- Semifinals — 1:49.7 (→ did not advance)
Men's 1500 metres
- Herman Mignon
- Heat — 3:44.2
- Semifinals — 3:41.7
- Final — 3:39.1 (→ 6th place)
- Edgar Salve
- Heat — 3:42.1 (→ did not advance)
- André de Hertoghe
- Heat — 3:44.6 (→ did not advance)
Men's 5000 metres
Fourteen cyclists represented Belgium in 1972.
- Freddy Maertens — 13th place
- Gustaaf Hermans — 45th place
- Lucien De Brauwere — 59th place
- Frans Van Looy — did not finish (→ no ranking)
- Robert Maveau
- Final — 1:08.94 (→ 14th place)
One female fencer represented Belgium in 1972.
- Men's Team Competition
- Preliminary Round (Group A)
- Lost to West Germany (1-5)
- Drew with Argentina (1-1)
- Defeated France (1-0)
- Lost to Spain (0-1)
- Lost to Malaysia (2-4)
- Defeated Uganda (2-0)
- Lost to Pakistan (1-3)
- Classification Match
- 9th/10th place: Lost to New Zealand (1-2) → 10th place
- Team Roster
Men's Coxed Pairs
- Paul De Weert, Wilfried Van Herck and Guy Defraigne
- Heat — 8:08.51
- Repechage — 8:16.26 (→ did not advance)
- Jacques Rogge - Finn Class 14th place.
Six male shooters represented Belgium in 1972.
- "Belgium at the 1972 Munich Summer Games". sports-reference.com. Retrieved 14 October 2014.