Believe Me Baby (I Lied)
|"Believe Me Baby (I Lied)"|
|Single by Trisha Yearwood|
|from the album Everybody Knows|
|Released||May 19, 1996|
|Songwriter(s)||Angelo Petraglia, Kim Richey, Larry Gottlieb|
|Trisha Yearwood singles chronology|
"Believe Me Baby (I Lied)" is a song recorded by American country music artist Trisha Yearwood. It was released in May 1996 as the lead single from her album, Everybody Knows. It was Yearwood's fourth number 1 hit out of the five number 1 hits during the course of her career.
The song depicts a woman who is apologizing to her lover after saying she wanted him out of her life. She realized it had really been her "wounded pride" telling the lover to leave.
The song was written by Kim Richey, Angelo Petraglia and Larry Gottlieb and was the first single from her album, Everybody Knows. The song was a number 1 country hit for Yearwood and the title track of the album reached the Top 5 later in 1997. The song was done in an Adult Contemporary-like style according to Allmusic.com. 
A music video was also made after the song's release, showcasing Yearwood and friends in retro outfits, vintage glasses and vivid colors and backdrops. As revealed in an interview on CMT's Video bio, some of the clothing Yearwood wore in the video was raided from the closet of her then-husband Robert Reynolds. The video debuted on CMT Wednesday, June 26, 1996, on a since-cancelled weekly show, CMT Delivery Room.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||1|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||47|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||22|
- "Biography - Trisha Yearwood". allmusic. Retrieved 2008-08-17.
- Billboard, July 6, 1996: Vol. 108 Iss. 27 - p. 86
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 9839." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. October 21, 1996. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "Trisha Yearwood Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1996". RPM. December 16, 1996. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "Best of 1996: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1996. Retrieved July 20, 2013.