Belinda (Belinda Carlisle album)
Artwork for pre-2003 releases
|Studio album by|
|Released||June 3, 1986|
|Genre||Pop rock, adult contemporary|
|Belinda Carlisle chronology|
|Singles from Belinda|
Belinda is the first solo album by Belinda Carlisle, notable as her first recording after the break-up of new wave band The Go-Go's, for whom she was their lead singer. Released in mid-1986 it featured a hit single "Mad About You" which went to No. 3 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and No. 1 in Canada.
Background and writing
Some of the songs on Belinda were written by Carlisle's former bandmate in the Go-Go's Charlotte Caffey while the rest were written by other songwriters. Carlisle has a single co-writing credit on one track ("Gotta Get to You").
"Band of Gold" was a hit song for Freda Payne in 1970. Payne provided background vocals on the dance mixes of Carlisle's version of this song, which would later appear as bonus tracks on the 2003 re-release of the album.
"I Need a Disguise" was written by the team of Tom Kelly and Billy Steinberg who co-wrote the song with Susanna Hoffs as it was originally intended for use by The Bangles. Kelly and Steinberg also co-wrote another song for Carlisle called "Dancing in the City" which she sang and would later appear on the soundtrack for the 1987 movie Burglar.
The song "Shot In the Dark" was used as part of the Out of Bounds soundtrack.
Critical reception Being her first solo album it was often compared with her previous work with the Go Go's. In general the album received mixed reviews but was well received by audiences. Rolling Stone wrote "The problem with Belinda is that all the ingredients are there, but the end result just doesn't feel right." Allmusic commented retrospectively that "The pop on Belinda may not be as infectious as the Go-Go's' finest singles, yet it fit in well with the slick formats of mid-'80s radio and managed to be more memorable than many of the mainstream hits of the time, as the ingratiating hit "Mad About You" proves."
Chart performance The album was successful in North America peaking at No. 13 in the US and at number 24 in Canada. The Album also entered the Australian Chart where it peaked at number 42 and charted for 12 weeks. Belinda was certified Gold in the US and Platinum in Canada, selling over one million copies worldwide.
|1.||"Mad About You"||Paula Jean Brown, James Whelan, Mitchel Young Evans||3:36|
|2.||"I Need a Disguise"||Tom Kelly, Billy Steinberg, Susanna Hoffs||3:55|
|3.||"Since You've Gone"||Charlotte Caffey, Lindsey Buckingham, Jonathan Segal||3:12|
|4.||"I Feel the Magic"||Caffey, Segal||3:20|
|5.||"I Never Wanted a Rich Man"||Caffey||4:12|
|6.||"Band of Gold"||Edythe Wayne, Ron Dunbar||3:42|
|7.||"Gotta Get to You"||Caffey, Belinda Carlisle, Brown, Whelan||4:06|
|8.||"From the Heart"||Caffey, Tom Caffey||3:12|
|9.||"Shot In the Dark"||Brown, Whelan||3:23|
|10.||"Stuff and Nonsense"||Tim Finn||4:30|
|2003 Re-release bonus tracks|
|11.||"Mad About You" (extended version)||Brown, Whelan, Evans||5:26|
|12.||"Band of Gold" (extended version) (featuring Freda Payne)||Wayne, Dunbar||6:42|
|13.||"Band of Gold" (dub mix) (featuring Freda Payne)||Wayne, Dunbar||7:43|
|14.||"Band of Gold" (single mix) (featuring Freda Payne)||Wayne, Dunbar||3:41|
- Belinda Carlisle - vocals
- Charlotte Caffey - guitars
- Laurence Juber - guitars
- Andy Taylor - guitars, solo on "Mad About You"
- David Lindley - guitars
- Paul Leim - drums
- Paula Brown - Bass
- Dennis Belfield - bass
- John Philip Shenale - keyboards
- Bobby Martin - keyboards, saxophone on "Gotta Get to You"
- Michael Lloyd - keyboards
- Claudia Godette - keyboards
- Nicky Hopkins - keyboards
- Jim Cox - keyboards
- Paulinho da Costa - percussion
- John Rosenberg - trumpet on "Stuff and Nonsense"
- John D'Andrea - string arrangements on "Since You've Gone", "Band of Gold" and "Stuff and Nonsense"
- Charlotte Caffey
- Belinda Carlisle
- Susanna Hoffs
- Paula Brown
- Tom Kelly
- Billy Steinberg
- Nathan Lam
- Jane Wiedlin
- Elisa Fox
- The Waters
- Producer & Arranger: Michael Lloyd
- Engineers: Carmine Rubino
- Associate Producer: Nathan Lam
- Assistant Engineers: Dan Nebenzal
- Remixing: William Orbit
- Strings directed by: Sid Sharp
- Additional Vocal Production: Ellen Shipley & Robert Feist
- Photography: Matthew Rolston & Bradford Bramson
- Art Direction & Design - Belinda Carlisle & Carl Grasso
Charts and certifications
The following singles were released from the album, with the highest charting positions listed.
|1.||"Mad About You"||1986||9||3||67||28||1|
|2.||"I Feel the Magic"||1986||—||82||—||—||51|
|3.||"Band of Gold"||1986||—||—||—||—||91|
|4.||"Since You've Gone" (promo only)||1986||—||—||—||—||—|
- Stephen Thomas Erlewine. "Belinda - Belinda Carisle". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- Christgau, Robert (1987). "CG: Artist 2641". Robert Christgau. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- Coleman, Mark (1986-07-03). "Belinda Carlisle: Belinda : Music Reviews". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on 2007-02-27. Retrieved 2012-08-02.
- "Back to the 80s: Interview with songwriter Billy Steinberg". 10 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- Hung, Steffen. "Forum - ALBUMS PRE 1989 (ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts)". australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- "Canada Album Chart Position". Archived from the original on 2012-10-05. Retrieved 2008-10-27.
- "Belinda Carlisle > Billboard Albums". Allmusic. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "Canadian album certifications – Belinda Carlisle – Belinda". Music Canada.
- "American album certifications – Belinda Carlisle – Belinda". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.
- UK - Album Chart Peaks.everyhit.com Retrieved 2007-07-18.
- Jaclyn Ward. "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". Irishcharts.ie. Archived from the original on 2011-05-11. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- "Results - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". collectionscanada.gc.ca. Archived from the original on 2009-02-14. Retrieved 2016-11-09.