Belinda (Belinda Carlisle album)
|Studio album by|
|Released||May 19, 1986|
|Belinda Carlisle chronology|
|Singles from Belinda|
Belinda is the first solo album by Belinda Carlisle, notable as her first recording after the break-up of new wave band The Go-Go's, for whom she was the lead singer. Released in mid-1986 it featured a hit single "Mad About You" which went to No. 3 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and No. 1 in Canada.
Background and writing
Some of the songs on Belinda were written by Carlisle's former bandmates in the Go-Go's Charlotte Caffey and Paula Jean Brown while the rest of the tracks were written by other songwriters such as The Bangles' Susanna Hoffs. Carlisle has a single co-writing credit on one track ("Gotta Get to You").
"Band of Gold" was a hit song for Freda Payne in 1970. Payne provided background vocals on the dance mixes of Carlisle's version of this song, which would later appear as bonus tracks on the 2003 re-release of the album.
"I Need a Disguise" was written by the team of Tom Kelly and Billy Steinberg who co-wrote the song with Susanna Hoffs as it was originally intended for use by The Bangles. Kelly and Steinberg also co-wrote another song for Carlisle called "Dancing in the City" which she sang and would later appear on the soundtrack for the 1987 movie Burglar.
The song "Shot In the Dark" was used as part of the Out of Bounds soundtrack.
Being her first solo album it was often compared with her previous work with the Go Go's. In general the album received mixed reviews but was well received by audiences. Rolling Stone wrote "The problem with Belinda is that all the ingredients are there, but the end result just doesn't feel right." Allmusic commented retrospectively that "The pop on Belinda may not be as infectious as the Go-Go's' finest singles, yet it fit in well with the slick formats of mid-'80s radio and managed to be more memorable than many of the mainstream hits of the time, as the ingratiating hit "Mad About You" proves."
The album was successful in North America peaking at No. 13 in the US and at number 24 in Canada. The Album also entered the Australian Chart where it peaked at number 42 and charted for 12 weeks. Belinda was certified Gold in the US and Platinum in Canada, selling over one million copies worldwide.
|1.||"Mad About You"||Paula Jean Brown, James Whelan, Mitchel Young Evans||3:36|
|2.||"I Need a Disguise"||Tom Kelly, Billy Steinberg, Susanna Hoffs||3:55|
|3.||"Since You've Gone"||Charlotte Caffey, Lindsey Buckingham, Jonathan Segal||3:12|
|4.||"I Feel the Magic"||Caffey, Segal||3:20|
|5.||"I Never Wanted a Rich Man"||Caffey||4:12|
|6.||"Band of Gold"||Edythe Wayne, Ron Dunbar||3:42|
|7.||"Gotta Get to You"||Caffey, Belinda Carlisle, Brown, Whelan||4:06|
|8.||"From the Heart"||Caffey, Tom Caffey||3:12|
|9.||"Shot In the Dark"||Brown, Whelan||3:23|
|10.||"Stuff and Nonsense"||Tim Finn||4:30|
|11.||"Mad About You" (extended version)||Brown, Whelan, Evans||5:26|
|12.||"Band of Gold" (extended version) (featuring Freda Payne)||Wayne, Dunbar||6:42|
|13.||"Band of Gold" (dub mix) (featuring Freda Payne)||Wayne, Dunbar||7:43|
|14.||"Band of Gold" (single mix) (featuring Freda Payne)||Wayne, Dunbar||3:41|
- Belinda Carlisle – lead vocals, backing vocals
- Jim Cox – keyboards, synthesizer
- Claude Gaudette – keyboards, synthesizer
- Nicky Hopkins – keyboards, synthesizer
- Michael Lloyd – keyboards, synthesizer
- Bobby Martin – keyboards, synthesizer, saxophone (6)
- John Philip Shenale – keyboards, synthesizer
- Charlotte Caffey – guitars, backing vocals
- Laurence Juber – guitars
- Andy Taylor – guitars, guitar solo (1)
- David Lindley – guitars
- Paula Brown – bass guitar, backing vocals
- Dennis Belfield – bass guitar
- Paul Leim – drums
- Paulinho da Costa – percussion
- John Rosenberg – trumpet (10)
- John D'Andrea – string arrangements (3, 6, 10)
- Sid Sharp – string direction (3, 6, 10)
- Susanna Hoffs – backing vocals
- Tom Kelly – backing vocals
- Billy Steinberg – backing vocals
- Nathan Lam – backing vocals
- Jane Wiedlin – backing vocals
- Elisa Fox – backing vocals
- The Waters – backing vocals
- Producer and Arrangements –Michael Lloyd
- Associate Producer – Nathan Lam
- Additional Vocal Production – Ellen Shipley and Robert Feist
- Engineer – Carmine Rubino
- Assistant Engineer – Dan Nebenzal
- Remixing – William Orbit
- Remix Assistant – Tania Hayward
- Recorded and Mixed at Guerilla Studios (North London, England).
- Musical Instruments by Don Griffin
- Cover Photo – Matthew Rolston
- Sleeve Photos – Bradford Bramson
- Art Direction and Design – Belinda Carlisle and Carl Grasso
- Management – Danny Goldberg and Ron Stone
Charts and certifications
The following singles were released from the album, with the highest charting positions listed.
|1.||"Mad About You"||1986||9||3||67||28||1|
|2.||"I Feel the Magic"||1986||—||82||—||—||51|
|3.||"Band of Gold"||1986||—||—||—||—||91|
|4.||"Since You've Gone" (promo only)||1986||—||—||—||—||—|
- Stephen Thomas Erlewine. "Belinda - Belinda Carisle". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- Christgau, Robert (1987). "CG: Artist 2641". Robert Christgau. Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- Coleman, Mark (July 3, 1986). "Belinda Carlisle: Belinda : Music Reviews". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on February 27, 2007. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- "Picks and Pans Review: Belinda". people.com. People. June 23, 1986.
- The Go-Go's (documentary film) by Alison Ellwood on Sky Arts 20 March 2021 at 9pm
- "Back to the 80s: Interview with songwriter Billy Steinberg". 10 March 2012. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- Hung, Steffen. "Forum - ALBUMS PRE 1989 (ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts)". australian-charts.com. Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- "RPM 100 Albums". bac-lac.gc.ca. Vol. 44 no. 26. RPM. September 20, 1986.
- "Belinda Carlisle Chart History (Billboard 200)". Billboard. Retrieved March 4, 2021.
- "Top Billboard 200 Albums – Year-End 1986". Billboard. Retrieved March 4, 2021.
- "Canadian album certifications – Belinda Carlisle – Belinda". Music Canada.
- "American album certifications – Belinda Carlisle – Belinda". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.
- "Belinda Carlisle > Billboard Albums". Allmusic. Retrieved January 15, 2012.
- UK - Album Chart Peaks.everyhit.com Retrieved July 18, 2007.
- Jaclyn Ward. "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". Irishcharts.ie. Archived from the original on May 11, 2011. Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- "Results - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". collectionscanada.gc.ca. Archived from the original on February 14, 2009. Retrieved November 9, 2016.