A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Belisa Vranich (born 28 April 1966) is a US clinical psychologist, author, public speaker, and founder of The Breathing Class (TM). She has been an active consultant and columnist in popular US Journalism, promoting intentional breathing practices to improve health and providing psychological viewpoints on sex and relationships. She is an advocate for women's health, as well as volunteering, mentorship, and animal rescue.
Belisa Vranich received her doctorate in Psychology from New York University and completed an internship at Bellevue Hospital with specialization in neuropsychology, psychiatric consultation and liaison, and bilingual treatment. She is a certified Breathwork Practitioner and a member of the Global Professional Breathwork Alliance.
Vranich practiced clinical psychology privately since 2000, specializing in a broad range of disciplines revolving around health and fitness, including stress reduction, nutrition, sexual health, relationships, trauma, and addiction. She previously served as the Director of Public Education at the Mental Health Association of NYC, consulted for the National Mental Health Association in Washington DC, served as a school psychologist in the South Bronx, and worked with parolees and their families as part of the Brooklyn Aids Task Force. Vranich began developing educational campaigns, presenting, and lecturing nationwide on health and mental health in 2004, eventually launching The Breathing Class as a summary solution to many of the underlying problems she saw. She is currently on Philosophy’s Hope and Grace campaign advisory board and regularly serves as an expert witness or psychologist for a variety of prominent media outlets.
The Breathing Class
The Breathing Class™ is a nationwide training program founded by Belisa Vranich to address physical and psychological problems related to oxygenation deficiency through anatomically congruous breathing techniques. Practices are taught with personal responsibility and mindfulness as the core, using measurements to demonstrate stress problems and poor physical function around a variety of well studied methods which vary in focus depending on the goals of the class. The benefits of the breath training are immediately apparent with increasing vectors over continued practice, including increased focus, better physical performance, and improved mental health.
Vranich, the class, and Vranich's techniques have been featured in articles and interviews by French Vogue, Shape magazine, Details Magazine, Jiu-Jitsu magazine, W Magazine, The New York Observer, The Wall Street Journal, and The Lisa Oz Show, among others.
Collaborators include women's self-defense expert Steve Kardian and his Defend University and jiu-jutsu instructor Henry Akins, through Breathing for Warriors, a special version of the class tailored to professional athletes. A third version of the class is focused on breath techniques for metabolism, stress management, and healthier eating. Dr. Vranich teaches the class regularly in New York and Los Angeles, with additional locations including corporations, military bases, hospitals, and other service organizations throughout the US (ex. Coty Inc, NYC Health and Hospitals, UCLA, Young Presidents Organization, Wenner Media, The US Department of Justice).
Health & fitness
In addition to her work for Huffington Post, Belisa served as the health and sex editor at Men’s Fitness magazine and has served as a columnist for the New York Post, New York Daily News, Foxnews.com, Spin magazine, XOJane, and The Fix. She has also served as an advisor for the Golds Gym Fitness Institute and Shape magazine
- Breathe: 14 Days to Oxygenating, Recharging, and Fueling Your Body & Brain. Belisa Vranich, Psy.D.; The Breathing Class Press (January 30, 2014) ISBN 978-0991358908
- He's Got Potential: A Field Guide to Shy Guys, Bad Boys, Intellectuals, Cheaters, and Everything in Between. Belisa Vranich, Psy.D.; Wiley; 1 edition (January 1, 2010). ISBN 978-0470267011
- Get a Grip: Your Two Week Mental Makeover. Belisa Vranich, Psy.D.; Wiley; 1 edition (November 1, 2009). ISBN 978-0470383193
- The Seven Beliefs: A Step-by-Step Guide to Help Latinas Recognize and Overcome Depression. Belisa Vranich, Psy.D & Jorge, R. Petit MD.; Rayo; 1 edition (April 1, 2003). ISBN 978-0060012656
Belisa Vranich has been interviewed by TV hosts Anderson Cooper, Soledad O’Brien, Joy Behar, Matt Lauer, Meredith Vieira, Juju Chang, Bill O’Reilly, Nancy Grace, Lisa Oz, Perez Hilton, and Alisyn Camerota. Belisa has contributed to shows on CNN, Fox News, The Today Show, Good Morning America, Inside Edition, ABC News, and In The Mix. She has contributed as an author or expert in numerous publications, including The Los Angeles Times, The Wall Street Journal, Cosmopolitan, The New York Observer, AARP, Men’s Journal, Men’s Fitness, Good Housekeeping, Parenting, Women's Health Magazine, W Magazine, the New York Post, and The New York Times.
- Vranich, Dr. Belisa. "Huffington Post". Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, Inc. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- Global Professional Breathwork Alliance "Member Directory" Retrieved November 19, 2015
- Psychiatric News "NMHA Depression Campaign Aimed at African Americans" Archived 2016-04-09 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved May 15, 2015
- Board Member Biographies "Hope and Grace" Retrieved November 19, 2015
- French Vogue "Beaute: mincir comme on RESPIRE", by Carole Sabas, August 2015, p256.
- Shape magazine, "Get Fit: Breathe Your Way Fitter" by Caitlin Carlson, September 2015, p77.
- Fetters, K. Aleisha. "Are You Breathing Right?". www.details.com. Conde Nast.
- Jiu-Jitsu magazine, "Breathe and Exhale" by Patrick Flores, February 2016, p80.
- Becker, Katie. "Breathing Lessons". www.wmagazine.com. Conde Nast.
- Grant, Drew. "Menace to Society: Will This Halve Your Anti-Anxiety Meds?". www.observer.com. Observer Media.
- the Wall Street Journal "Breathing for Your Better Health" By Sumathi Reddy, Published January 26, 2015.
- "The Lisa Oz Show" "Clinical Psychologist Dr. Belisa Vranich; Actress & Model Karen Duffy" Retrieved November 19, 2015
- Omega Institute for Holistic Studies "Teachers and Presenters" Archived March 9, 2016, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved November 19, 2015
- Steve Kardian "Women's Self Defense Institute" "Breathing for Warriors" Retrieved November 19, 2015
- ABC "Why Women Cry on the Job"
- New York Daily News "Mirror, mirror on the wall: We pick NYC's biggest egos of them all" September 6, 2006,
- Fox.com "Fox on Sex: Why We Loved Sex in 2009" January 08, 2010
- XOJane "Biography"
- The Fix "Healing Ink" August 31, 2011
- TheStreet "Gold's Gym Introduces The 2010-2011 Fitness Institute" August 8, 2010
- Shape magazine "Editorial Page" April 2013
- the Los Angeles Times "Getting in tune to the sounds of exertion" December 18, 2006.
- the New York Observer "Menace To Society: Will This Halve Your Anti-Anxiety Meds?" By Drew Grant. Published July 30,13.
- the New York Times "Ready to Snap at Work? Get in Touch With Your Inner Animal" By Phyllis Korkki. Published Aug. 6, 2016.