Belle Isle, Florida
|City of Belle Isle, Florida|
Belle Isle City Hall
Location in Orange County and the state of Florida
|• Manager||Keith Severns|
|• Mayor||Lydia Pisano|
|• Total||5.16 sq mi (13.36 km2)|
|• Land||2.38 sq mi (6.16 km2)|
|• Water||2.78 sq mi (7.19 km2)|
|Elevation||95 ft (29 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||6,825|
|• Density||2,867.65/sq mi (1,107.33/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||32809, 32812|
|GNIS feature ID||0278447|
Belle Isle is a city in Orange County, Florida, United States. The population was 5,988 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Orlando–Kissimmee–Sanford Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The Belle Isle area was first inhabited by the Timucua people circa the 9th century. The first organized government of Belle Isle was established in 1924, with C. H. Hoffner as the community's first mayor. This government lasted until 1938, when it was deactivated. Belle Isle was re-established in 1954, and has been running continuously since.
Since 2003, Belle Isle has run under a council-manager government, with the mayor being a strictly ceremonial position. Seven commissioners are elected to represent their respective districts on the city council. All elected officials serve three year terms without compensation.
In 2009, the City of Belle Isle established its own police department, which would take over the area's jurisdiction from the Orange County Sheriff. The incorporation of the department has almost doubled the total number of city employees, increasing the number from 11 to 20.
Belle Isle is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.1 square miles (13.2 km2), of which 2.3 square miles (6.0 km2) is land and 2.8 square miles (7.2 km2) (54.42%) is water.
The city of Belle Isle is close to Orlando International Airport, being only three miles northwest of it; Orlando itself is only five miles north. Belle Isle is the location of Lake Conway, one of Greater Orlando's largest lakes. The southern portion of Little Lake Conway, another large lake, is also in Belle Isle.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,531 people, 2,199 households, and 1,618 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,873.2 inhabitants per square mile (1,106.5/km²). There were 2,299 housing units at an average density of 1,194.3 per square mile (459.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 4.36% White, 91.88% African American, 0.13% Native American, 1.25% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.32% from other races, and 1.05% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.98% of the population.
There were 2,199 households out of which 29.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.9% were married couples living together, 7.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.4% were non-families. 20.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.52 and the average family size was 2.89.
In the city, the population was spread out with 22.7% under the age of 18, 4.7% from 18 to 24, 28.9% from 25 to 44, 27.0% from 45 to 64, and 16.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 100.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $65,155, and the median income for a family was $68,571. Males had a median income of $47,394 versus $32,150 for females. The per capita income for the city was $29,087. About 1.9% of families and 2.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.2% of those under age 18 and 4.2% of those age 65 or over.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 7, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Belle Isle city, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved September 20, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Belle Isle city, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved September 20, 2012.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.