Belleville High School (Michigan)
|Belleville High School|
Home of the Tigers
|501 West Columbia Ave
Belleville, Michigan, Wayne 48111
|School type||Public Secondary|
|School district||Van Buren Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Orange and Black|
|Rivals||Romulus High School Eagles
Lincoln High School Railsplitters
|Educational-access station||WBHS Channel 19|
The current Belleville High School completed in 2012
In 1953, a fire destroyed the third floor of Belleville High School. The blaze began in a basement store room and swept to the second and third floors via a nearby ventilating shaft. No one was injured, but the second and third floors were damaged beyond use for the rest of the school year. The third floor had remained closed, and before the demolition of the building classes continued on the first and second stories.
During the Winter of 2010, the Van Buren Public Schools Board of Education approved the accelerated schedule that the architect of Fanning Howey and Granger Construction presented. The new Belleville High School was built just east of the location where the old Belleville High School stood. The new school was completed in the Summer of 2012 and school was in session for the first time (at the new school) on September 4, 2012. The class of 2013 will be the first to graduate from the new school.
As of August 2012, the old Belleville High School was demolished, excluding the music wing, auditorium, and cafeteria.
WBHS Channel 19
In 2000 Comcast, set the school up with an educational access station which would come to be called WBHS Channel 19. The station is almost entirely run by students taking the year-long "Channel 19" course with only the aid of one instructor and the occasional alumni volunteer. The station broadcasts the daily produced morning announcements, student projects, Semi-annual live telethons and other events from around the area which are either taped by the high school's T.E.C. Club or submitted by parents & staff. The station itself is shown on channel 19 as well as HD channel 902 in Comcast’s Van Buren Township Corp, 9502.
- Billy Ashley, Los Angeles Dodgers, Boston Red Sox
- Juan Atkins, Belleville Three musician
- Ian Gold, Denver Broncos linebacker
- Cullen Jenkins, Green Bay Packers defensive end
- Kris Jenkins, New York Jets defensive tackle
- Myra MacPherson (1952) journalist and writer
- Derrick May, Belleville Three musician
- Frank Nunley, linebacker for the San Francisco 49ers
- Kevin Saunderson, Belleville Three musician
- Keith Simons, Kansas City Chiefs defensive tackle
- "BHS Points of Pride and History". Archived from the original on 2008-08-07. Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- Unterberger, Richie (1999). Music USA: The Rough Guide. London: Rough Guides. p. 312. ISBN 1-85828-421-X.
- Pat Yasinskas (November 18, 2007). "'Big Daddy' Jenkins is head of the line". The Charlotte Observer. Archived from the original on 2008-01-21. Retrieved 2008-01-28.
- "Argus Family Graduates" (PDF). Argus Eyes 8 (5). June 1952. p. 7. Retrieved 2014-05-14.
Myra Lea MacPherson Belleville High School Daughter of Douglas MacPherson