Bellingham shown within Northumberland
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North East England|
The Heritage Centre is the local museum. It has exhibitions on the Border Counties Railway, the Border reivers, mining, farming, the photography of W P Collier, and the Stannersburn Smithy. It has a database of local family names and one of old photographs. It also holds special exhibitions of historical or artistic interest, and readings and performances by poets, storytellers, musicians and dancers.
The Grade-I listed St Cuthbert's Church (13th-century, substantially reconstructed in the early 17th century) is described as 'almost unique in England' owing to its stone barrel vault, which runs the length of the Nave and extends into the South Transept. Three miracles connected with the mediaeval cult of St Cuthbert, are recorded in the twelfth century Libellus of Reginald of Durham.
Within the churchyard is "The Long Pack", purportedly the grave of a burglar who attempted to infiltrate a local house by hiding in a beggar's pack, but was discovered after he suffered an ill-timed coughing fit, and was promptly run through with the sword of the house's proprietor.
From 1735 the parish rectors at Bellingham were under the patronage of the Governors of Greenwich Hospital. The Governors stipulated that the rectors were to be graduates of Oxford or Cambridge and naval chaplains. Bellingham Rectory was one of six such rectories in the Simonburn area.
The village football team competes in the Tyneside Amateur League First Division.
Two miles north-east at Hole Farm is the sixteenth century Hole Bastle, a well-preserved example of a bastle house.
- "Parish population 2011". Retrieved 26 June 2015.
- US dict: bĕl′·ĭn·jəm
- Hareshaw Linn
- Bellingham Golf Club
- Bellingham Heritage Centre
- Tomlinson, W W, 1888. Comprehensive Guide to Northumberland
- "Little Book of Miracles of the Blessed Cuthbert Performed in Recent Times"
- The others being Falstone, Greystead, Thorneyburn, Wark and Simonburn. Information in Bellingham Parish Church visited 2013.
- Tyneside Amateur League Division One: League Table Archived March 14, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Ward population 2011". Retrieved 26 June 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bellingham, Northumberland.|
- Hexham Courant.
- The Pennine Way Site
- GENUKI (Accessed: 1 November 2008)
- Northumberland Communities (Accessed: 1 November 2008)
|This Northumberland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|