Location of Bellingwedde (green) in Groningen (dark grey) and the Netherlands (grey)
|Established||1 September 1968|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Janneke Snijder-Hazelhoff (VVD)|
|• Total||110.08 km2 (42.50 sq mi)|
|• Land||108.39 km2 (41.85 sq mi)|
|• Water||1.69 km2 (0.65 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1 m (3 ft)|
|• Density||83/km2 (210/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Bellingwedde (Dutch pronunciation: [ˌbɛlɪŋˈʋɛdə] ( listen)) is a municipality with a population of 9,039 in the province Groningen in the northeast of the Netherlands. It contains the villages Bellingwolde, Blijham, Oudeschans, Veelerveen, Vriescheloo, and Wedde.
Bellingwedde was established in 1968, when the municipalities of Bellingwolde and Wedde merged. The mayor of Bellingwedde is Janneke Snijder-Hazelhoff (VVD) and the aldermen are Bart Huizing (PvdA), Lea van der Tuin (CDA), and Wim 't Mannetje (VVD).
The name Bellingwedde is a portmanteau of Bellingwolde and Wedde, which are the names of the two municipalities that were merged in 1968 to form Bellingwedde. At the time, three names were being considered for the new municipality: Bellingewedde as proposed by the province of Groningen, Bellingwolde-Wedde as proposed by the municipal council of Bellingwolde, and Bellingwedde as proposed by the municipal council of Wedde. The province selected the last option, which was eventually also accepted by the municipal council of Bellingwolde.
On 1 September 1968, the municipality Bellingwedde was formed by merging the municipalities of Bellingwolde and Wedde.
Henk Eijsink of the Labour Party, who was the last mayor of Bellingwolde and acting mayor of Wedde, became the first mayor of Bellingwedde in 1968–1970. He was followed by Jurjen Jan Hoeksema (1970–1978), Engbert Drenth (1979–2007), and Erik Triemstra (2007–2013). Janneke Snijder-Hazelhoff of the People's Party for Freedom and Democracy has been mayor of Bellingwedde since 2013.
Bellingwedde is bordered by the Dutch municipalities of Oldambt (in the north), Pekela (west), Stadskanaal (south-west), and Vlagtwedde (south), and by the German municipalities of Rhede (south-east) and Bunde (north-east). The nearest city is Winschoten.
The north border of the municipality follows the river Pekel Aa. The river Westerwoldse Aa crosses the east of Bellingwedde from south to north. The canal B.L. Tijdenskanaal, that unites the Mussel-Aa-kanaal and the Ruiten-Aa-kanaal in the south, crosses the west of Bellingwedde from south to north.
A municipal government in the Netherlands consists of the executive college of the mayor and aldermen and the elected municipal council. The municipal building is located at the Hoofdweg in Wedde.
The municipal council consists of 13 elected members. In the 2014 municipal elections the turnout in Bellingwedde was 57.57% with 4,191 valid votes. The Socialist Party got the most votes, followed by the Labour Party, the Christian Democratic Appeal, and the People's Party for Freedom and Democracy.
A coalition was formed between the Labour Party (PvdA), the Christian Democratic Appeal (CDA), and the People's Party for Freedom and Democracy (VVD). All three parties have one alderman in the college of mayor and aldermen: Bart Huizing (PvdA), Lea van der Tuin (CDA), and Wim 't Mannetje (VVD). Although the Socialist Party got the most electoral votes, it is not part of the coalition.
|Christian Democratic Appeal||572||13.65||2|
|People's Party for Freedom and Democracy||531||12.67||2|
|Plaatselijk Belang Bellingwedde||355||8.47||1|
|Source: Statistics Netherlands|
Since 1968, when the municipality was established, Bellingwedde had a population between 8,561 and 9,748. In 2015, it had a population of 9,154 and a population density of 84/km2 (220/sq mi).
There are two museums in Bellingwedde. Museum de Oude Wolden in Bellingwolde is a regional museum about the art and history of Oldambt and Westerwolde. It has temporary exhibitions and a permanent exhibition with paintings of Lodewijk Bruckman from the municipal collection of Bellingwedde. Vestingmuseum Oudeschans in Oudeschans is a history museum about the fortification of Oudeschans. It has a collection of archaeological findings from the 17th and 18th century on display.
There are five windmills in the municipality: De Korenbloem in Vriescheloo, Niemans Molen in Veelerveen, Spinnenkop Wedderveer in Wedderveer, Veldkamps Meuln in Bellingwolde, and Weddermarke in Wedde.
There are no highways in Bellingwedde. The nearest highway is the A7 (E22) directly north of the municipality and which is connected to Groningen in the west and Leer (Germany) in the east; its nearest access point is exit 48 (Oudeschans).
There are four provincial roads in the municipality. In the northwest, the N367 connects the municipality to Winschoten and Oude and Nieuwe Pekela. The N368 runs from northwest to southwest, connects Blijham via Wedde to Vlagtwedde, and also connects to the other three major roads. The N969 runs from west to southeast and connects Blijham via Bellingwolde and Rhederbrug to Rhede in Germany. And the N973 runs from southwest to the center and connects Wedde via Vriescheloo to Bellingwolde.
There are also no railways in Bellingwedde. The nearest railway stations are Winschoten and Bad Nieuweschans on the Harlingen–Nieuweschans railway just north of Bellingwedde. The railway is connected to the Groningen railway station and the rest of the Dutch railway network in the west and to the Leer railway station and the German railway network in the east.
- Line 11: Winschoten – Blijham – Wedderveer – Wedde – Veele – Vlagtwedde – Bourtange
- Line 12: Winschoten – Blijham – Bellingwolde – Blijham – Winschoten
- Line 14: Stadskanaal – Alteveer – Tange – Onstwedde – Barlage – Smeerling – Vlagtwedde – Veele – Wedde – Wedderveer – Blijham – Winschoten
- Line 811: Bad Nieuweschans – Klein-Ulsda – Oudeschans – Bellingwolde – Vriescheloo – Veelerveen – Vlagtwedde
Het Streekblad is a free door-to-door weekly newspaper in the municipalities of Bellingwedde, Oldambt, and Pekela. Dagblad van het Noorden is a daily newspaper in the northern provinces of the Netherlands.
- Jan Mulder (born 1945 in Bellingwolde), footballer, writer, and commentator
- "Collegeleden" [Members of the board] (in Dutch). Gemeente. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 9698AE". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- Henk Beernink, Zitting 1967-1968-9409 (in Dutch), National Library of the Netherlands. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- Ad van der Meer & Onno Boonstra, Repertorium van Nederlandse gemeenten 1812-2006 (in Dutch), Data Archiving and Networked Services, 2006. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- "Drs. H.J. Eijsink nieuwe burgemeester Meppel" (in Dutch), Nieuwsblad van het Noorden, 1970. Retrieved 21 August 2015.
- "Jurjen Jan Hoeksema" (in Dutch), Dagblad van het Noorden, 2012. Retrieved 21 August 2015.
- Marcel Looden, "Rood en maar drie burgemeesters" (in Dutch), Dagblad van het Noorden, 2007. Retrieved 21 August 2015.
- (Dutch) Over Bellingwedde, Municipality of Bellingwedde. Retrieved on 27 April 2014.
- Contact (in Dutch), Gemeente Bellingwedde. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- Verkiezingsuitslagen Gemeenteraad 1918 - heden (in Dutch), Electoral Council. Retrieved 19 June 2016.
- Collegeleden (in Dutch), Municipality of Bellingwedde. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Partnerschappen (in Dutch), Gemeente Bellingwedde. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- Nachbarn und Freunde (in German), SonntagsReport, 2009. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- Gminy partnerskie (in Polish), Gmina Nowogród Bobrzański. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- Bevolkingsontwikkeling; levendgeborenen, overledenen en migratie per regio (in Dutch), Statistics Netherlands, 2015. Retrieved 19 June 2016.
- Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2015 (in Dutch), Statistics Netherlands, 2016. Retrieved 19 June 2016.
- Bevolking; geslacht, leeftijd, burgerlijke staat en regio, 1 januari (in Dutch), Statistics Netherlands, 2016. Retrieved 19 June 2016.
- Overzicht van aangewezen en in procedure zijnde stads- en dorpsgezichten (in Dutch), Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed, 2013. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- Musea en monumenten (in Dutch), Gemeenste Bellingwedde. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- Programma Archived 15 January 2014 at the Wayback Machine. (in Dutch), Museum de Oude Wolden. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- Vestingmuseum Archived 12 January 2014 at the Wayback Machine. (in Dutch), Vesting Oudeschans. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- Monumentnummer: 8924 - De Korenbloem (in Dutch), Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- Monumentnummer: 8921 (in Dutch), Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- Monumentnummer: 388083 - Spinnekop (in Dutch), Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- Monumentnummer: 8906 (in Dutch), Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- Monumentnummer: 8930 (in Dutch), Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- Monumentnummer: 8925 (in Dutch), Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed, 2013. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- Burch Wedde (in Dutch), Stichting De Burcht Wedde. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- Dienstregeling Openbaar Vervoer 2013 (in Dutch), Municipality of Bellingwedde, 2012. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- Dienstregeling 2014 Bus (in Dutch), OV Nieuws uit Groningen. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- Memo Vastgestelde dienstregeling 2015 (in Dutch), OV-bureau Groningen Drenthe, 2014. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- Lijn 11 Winschoten Station - Bourtange De Vesting (in Dutch), OV in Nederland.nl, 2014. Retrieved 16 November 2014.
- Lijn 12 Ringlijn Winschoten Station - Bellingwolde (in Dutch), OV in Nederland.nl, 2014. Retrieved 16 November 2014.
- Lijn 14 Stadskanaal Busstation - Winschoten Station (in Dutch), OV in Nederland.nl, 2014. Retrieved 16 November 2014.
- Lijn 811 Bad Nieuweschans Busstation - Vlagtwedde Marke (in Dutch), OV in Nederland.nl, 2014. Retrieved 16 November 2014.
- Kinderopvang (in Dutch), Municipality of Bellingwedde. Retrieved 20 Jun 2016.
- Basisonderwijs (in Dutch), Municipality of Bellingwedde. Retrieved 20 Jun 2016.
- Voortgezet onderwijs (in Dutch), Municipality of Bellingwedde. Retrieved 20 Jun 2016.
- Bezorgklachten (in Dutch), Het Streekblad. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- Over ons (in Dutch), Westerwoldeactueel.nl. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- Arjan Brondijk, "Twintig jaar Radio Westerwolde: terugblikken en bluesfeest" (in Dutch), Het Streekblad, 2013. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bellingwedde.|
- (Dutch) Official website