Belmont, County Durham
Belmont is a suburb of the city of Durham and civil parish in the County Durham district, in the county of Durham, England. It was formerly a separate village. It was initially a coal mining village and is situated to the north-east of the city centre, just east of the A1(M) motorway. The flats at Minster Court (at the south side of Buckinghamshire Road) were built on land formerly belonging to Ravensflatt Farm. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 8,939, decreasing to 8,881 at the 2011 Census.
The parish covers a number of settlements:
The civil parish was created in 1894 from the northern and eastern parts of Durham's St. Giles Parish and extends down to Kepier in the west. There were minor boundary changes in 1896, 1935 and 1958.
For electoral purposes the parish is divided into three wards, each electing five members of the parish council:
- Belmont (Population (2011) 6,159)
- Gilesgate Moor
The Parish Council is currently controlled by the Liberal Democrats, who gained control from Labour in the 2003 local elections taking 14 of the 15 seats.
The Council has offices at the Belmont Community Centre, Sunderland Road, Gilesgate Moor.
The secondary school located here Belmont Community School was originally planned to be turned into an academy. However, a large portion of the staff protested against this, causing the school to stay the same.
The village is on the bus route from Sunderland to Durham. There is now just one pub (The Belmont, formerly the Sportsmans), two school sites and a church, St. Mary Magdelene. Since 1994 Belmont has been the site of New Ferens Park, home of FA Women's Championship club Durham Women FC. It also contains Cheveley Park shopping centre which includes shops such as Sainsburys Cooplands and other food establishments.
In popular culture
- Get Carter - the house "Beechcroft" situated on Broomside Lane was used as a location in the 1971 film as the home of character Cliff Brumby. It was here that Michael Caine as Jack Carter delivered the oft-quoted line "You’re a big man, but you’re out of shape." Despite a sustained campaign to preserve it, the house was demolished in December 2008.
Media related to Belmont at Wikimedia Commons
- Parish Council Elections for Durham Parishes 2003[permanent dead link].
- Vision of Britain information on Belmont Parish.
- GenUKi description of historic Belmont parish.
|This County Durham location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|