Belmont Intermediate School
|Belmont Intermediate School|
|10 Winscombe Street
|Type||State co-ed intermediate, years 7-8|
|Motto||Developing confident and successful lifelong learners|
|Ministry of Education Institution no.||1225|
|School roll||570 (July 2017)|
Contributing schools include:
- Devonport Primary
- Vauxhall Primary
- Stanley Bay Primary
- Hauraki Primary
- St. Leos
- Belmont Primary
- Bayswater Primary.
Pupils attend for years seven and eight. As of 2007 there were just over 500 pupils enrolled. At the end of year eight the majority of students move to Takapuna Grammar School, which is located next door.
School facilities include a technology block, ICT suite, school hall, information centre and a learning support centre. The grounds are extensive and numerous groups make use of its facilities during the weekends.
Cycling to school
The school is famous for having achieved the highest rate of students cycling to school in the Auckland Region, at about 200 of 500 students on a normal day, a results considered to be partly due to the environment around the school and the Lake Road cycle lanes. At the same time, the level of students driven to school by car is very low, at only about 11% arrive by car.
- Ella Yelich-O'Connor, aka Lorde (2008–2009), singer-songwriter.
- Eliza McCartney, (2008-2009), NZ olympian Bronze Medalist, Rio 2016
- "Directory of Schools - as at 2 August 2017". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- "Plenty of pupils push pedal power". North Shore Times. 27 July 2010. Retrieved 28 July 2010.
- "Devonport's young cyclists get national accolade". The Devonport Flagstaff. 12 November 2010. p. 3.
- Etheridge, Jess (2 August 2013). "Singer now on centre stage: Shore kid makes good at Splendour in the Grass". North Shore Times (via Stuff.co.nz). Retrieved 27 August 2013.