Below the Surface
|Below the Surface|
|Directed by||Rupert Kathner|
|Produced by||Rupert Kathner|
|Screenplay by||Rupert Kathner|
|Story by||Stan Tolhurst|
|Edited by||Stan Tolhurst|
Australian Cinema Entertainments
Two miners compete for an important coal contract. One of them attempts to sabotage the other but fails.
- Stan Tolhurst
- Phyllis Reilly
- Neil Carlton
- Jimmy McMahon
- Lawrence Taylor
- Reg King
- Billy Baker
- Leonard Clarke
- Frank Baker
- Billy Crooks
The main investor in the movie was a prominent music house in Sydney. The film was shot on location in Cronulla, Sydney and Newcastle, with studio work done at Pagewood Studios. Kather and Tolhurt built a mine set themselves. Shooting took place from November 1937 to February 1938.
The film was never released to cinemas, the only one of Kather's movies to suffer this fate.
In February 1938 Australian Cinema Entertainments announced plans to make four more features that year for £40,000, the first which was to be Diamonds in the Rough. This did not eventuate. Tolhurst did revive the name with his company, ACE Films, in the late 1940s.
- "MINERS' SONS.". The Sydney Morning Herald. National Library of Australia. 10 January 1938. p. 11. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- "AUSTRALIAN FILM.". The Sydney Morning Herald. National Library of Australia. 1 December 1937. p. 9. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- Andrew Pike and Ross Cooper, Australian Film 1900–1977: A Guide to Feature Film Production, Melbourne: Oxford University Press, 1998, 184
- Graham Shirley and Brian Adams, Australian Cinema: The First Eighty Years, Currency Press, 1989, p151
- "AUSTRALIAN FILMS.". The Sydney Morning Herald. National Library of Australia. 3 February 1938. p. 8. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- "Ambitious film project by Australians.". The Australian Women's Weekly. National Library of Australia. 27 September 1947. p. 40. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- Below the Surface in the Internet Movie Database
- Below the Surface[permanent dead link] at National Film and Sound Archive
- Below the Surface at Oz Movies
|This article related to Australian film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an adventure film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|