Belvedere, Edmonton

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Belvedere
Neighbourhood
Belvedere is located in Edmonton
Belvedere
Belvedere
Location of Belvedere in Edmonton
Coordinates: 53°35′38″N 113°26′02″W / 53.594°N 113.434°W / 53.594; -113.434
Country  Canada
Province  Alberta
City Edmonton
Quadrant[1] NW
Ward[1] 4
Sector[2] Mature area
Government[3]
 • Administrative body Edmonton City Council
 • Councillor Ed Gibbons
Area[4]
 • Total 1.67 km2 (0.64 sq mi)
Elevation 663 m (2,175 ft)
Population (2012)[5]
 • Total 5,085
 • Density 3,044.9/km2 (7,886/sq mi)
 • Change (2009–12) Increase2.2%
 • Dwellings 2,665

Belvedere is a residential neighbourhood in north east Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. It is located on the west side of the Canadian National Railway right of way close to the Belvedere LRT station.

The neighbourhood is triangle shaped with the railway right of way along the south east side, 137 Avenue on the north, and 66 Avenue on the west. Fort Road cuts through the neighbourhood close to the south east boundary.

The neighbourhood is surrounded by a mixture of residential neighbourhoods and industrial and commercial neighbourhoods. Residential neighbourhoods are York to the north, Clareview Town Centre to the northeast, Balwin and Delwood to the west, and Kildare to the northwest. Industrial and commercial neighbourhoods are Kennedale Industrial to the east, Industrial Heights to the southeast, and the Yellowhead Corridor to the southwest.

While the Yellowhead Corridor is land set aside for the Yellowhead Trail roadway, the area on either side of 66 Street is heavily built up with commercial and industrial enterprises.

Londonderry Mall is located near the north west corner of the neighbourhood, diagonally across the intersection between 137 Avenue and 66 Street, in the neighbourhood of Kildare.

Residential construction in Belvedere began before the end of World War II. However, the bulk of residential development occurred between 1946 and 1985. It was during this time that over 90% of the neighbourhood's approximately 2,000 residences were constructed.[6]

Today, the neighbourhood has a mixture of apartments (45%), single-family dwellings (42%), duplexes[7] (8%) and row houses (6%).[8] A small majority of residences (50.1%) are owner-occupied with the remainder (49.9%) being rented.[9]

Demographics[edit]

In the City of Edmonton's 2012 municipal census, Belvedere had a population of 5,085 living in 2,665 dwellings,[5] a 2.2% change from its 2009 population of 4,974.[10] With a land area of 1.67 km2 (0.64 sq mi), it had a population density of 3,044.9 people/km2 in 2012.[4][5]

Households in Belvedere have an average income that is below that for the City of Edmonton.

Income By Household - 2001 Census[11][12]
Income Range ($) Belvedere[13] Edmonton[14]
(% of Households) (% of Households)
Under $10,000 11.8% 6.3%
$10,000-$19,999 15.5% 12.4%
$20,000-$29,999 18.3% 11.9%
$30,000-$39,999 14.8% 11.8%
$40,000-$49,999 10.5% 10.9%
$50,000-$59,999 7.8% 9.5%
$60,000-$69,999 6.3% 8.3%
$70,000-$79,999 4.6% 6.7%
$80,000-$89,999 3.3% 5.4%
$90,000-$99,999 3.3% 4.2%%
$100,000 and over 3.8% 12.6%%
Average household income $39,405 $57,360

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b "City of Edmonton Wards & Standard Neighbourhoods" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 3, 2014. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  2. ^ "Edmonton Developing and Planned Neighbourhoods, 2011" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 4, 2013. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  3. ^ "City Councillors". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  4. ^ a b "Neighbourhoods (data plus kml file)". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  5. ^ a b c "Municipal Census Results – Edmonton 2012 Census". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013. 
  6. ^ http://censusdocs.edmonton.ca/DD23/FEDERAL%202001/Neighbourhood/BELVEDERE.pdf
  7. ^ Includes triplexes and quadruplexes.
  8. ^ http://censusdocs.edmonton.ca/C05002/MUNICIPAL%202005/Neighbourhood/BELVEDERE.pdf
  9. ^ http://censusdocs.edmonton.ca/DD22/FEDERAL%202001/Neighbourhood/BELVEDERE.pdf
  10. ^ "2009 Municipal Census Results". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013. 
  11. ^ 2000 dollars
  12. ^ Income is for all persons in the household. So, if there are two persons in the household and each person earns $15,000, the household income is $30,000
  13. ^ http://censusdocs.edmonton.ca/DD26/FEDERAL%202001/Neighbourhood/BELVEDERE.pdf
  14. ^ http://censusdocs.edmonton.ca/DD26/FEDERAL%202001/CITY/EDMONTON.pdf

External links[edit]