Benátky nad Jizerou
Benátky nad Jizerou
Jan Hus Square
|• Mayor||Karel Bendl|
|• Total||35.46 km2 (13.69 sq mi)|
|Elevation||225 m (738 ft)|
|• Density||210/km2 (540/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
294 71 - 294 72
Benátky nad Jizerou (Czech pronunciation: [ˈbɛnaːtkɪ ˈnad jɪzɛrou]; German: Benatek) is a town on the Jizera river which is also known as Kbelačka in the Central Bohemian Region of the Czech Republic, between the cities Stará Boleslav and Mladá Boleslav.
The city was the site of a castle and observatory built by astronomer Tycho Brahe. Johann von Klenau, the Habsburg general, was born at the castle in 1758. His old Bohemian family owned the castle at the time. Later it was owned by the counts Thun und Hohenstein.
The brothers František, Jiří Antonín, Josef and Jan Jiří Benda were born here. They were to later find fame as composers and performers in Germany where many of their descendants also became successful musicians.
Twin towns — sister cities
- "Population of municipalities of the Czech republic". Czech Statistical Office. Retrieved 2019-04-30.
- (in German) Friedrich Bernau. Studien und Materialien zur Specialgeschichte und Heimatskunde des deutschen Sprachgebiets in Böhmen und Mähren. Prague: J.G. Calve, 1903, pp. 7–8, 151–165, 601. Other sources date the Klenau family to the early twelfth century. See (in German) Norbert (or Enoch) Heermann, Johann Matthäus Klimesch, and Václav Březan. Norbert Heermann's Rosenberg'sche chronik. Prag, Köngl. Böhmische gesellschaft der wissenschaften, 1897, p. 102.
- "Partnerská města" (in Czech). Město Benátky nad Jizerou. Archived from the original on 2019-08-24. Retrieved 2019-08-24.
- Media related to Benátky nad Jizerou at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipal website (in Czech)
- Town castle (in German)
- Benátky nad Jizerou - virtual show
|This Mladá Boleslav District location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|