|1st Chairman of LIBRA|
|Minister of Education and Science|
6 September 2001 – 29 January 2002
|Preceded by||Et’hem Ruka|
|Succeeded by||Luan Memushi|
|Minister of Local Government and Decentralization|
29 December 2003 – 1 September 2005
|Preceded by||post created|
|Succeeded by||post abolished|
|Member of the Albanian parliament|
1 January 1969 |
|Political party||Socialist Party (1998-2016)
|Alma mater||University of Tirana|
Ben Blushi (born 1 January 1969) is an Albanian politician, writer and journalist.
Ben Blushi, born in Tirana, studied at the University of Tirana, graduating in Albanian language and literature. He was editor-in-chief of the newspaper Koha Jonë. His works deal with Albanian history and contemporary Albania. In April 2008, Ben Blushi published his first novel Të jetosh në ishull (Living on an Island). Within a couple of months, the book had sold over 30,000 copies, a record for the Albanian market. The novel covers Albanian history under the Ottoman Empire (15th–18th centuries), with a broad and not uncontroversial treatment of the country’s Islamization. His second novel, Othello, The Moor of Vlora won the European Union Prize for Literature in 2014. His following novels The Candidate and The Prime Minister were the best selling books at the Tirana Book Fair in 2015 and 2016 respectively. Blushi is an atheist.
In 1999 Blushi embarked upon a political career in the cabinet of Prime Minister Fatos Nano. For several months he served as Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, and in late 2000 he became Prefect of Korça. He served as Minister of Education and Minister of Local Governance and Decentralization.
- Të Jetosh Në Ishull. Toena, Tirana 2008
- Otello, Arapi i Vlorës. Toena, Tirana 2009
- Shqipëria. Mapo Editions, Tirana 2011.
- Kandidati. UET, Tirana 2015
- KM: Kryeministri. Mapo Editions, Tirana 2016
- Hëna e Shqipërisë. UET, Tirana 2014.
Awards and honours
- European Union Prize for Literature, Albania, Otello, Arapi i Vlorës (Othello, the Moor of Vlora) 
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-03-01. Retrieved 2015-01-13.
- "Blushi: Syndrome of the need to make Edi Rama a Premier, worry for the socialists". Albeu. 2 December 2011.
- Opinion.al. "Kandidati i Blushit, libri më shitur i Panairit Tirana 2015". Opinion - Faqja Zyrtare (in Albanian). Retrieved 2017-03-20.
- Shqip, Gazeta (2016-11-15). "Ben Blushi, autori më i shitur në Panairin e Librit | Gazeta SHQIP Online" (in Albanian). Retrieved 2017-03-20.
- "OPINION – A NA KERCENON TERRORIZMI ISLAMIK ? – TV KLAN". Retrieved 22 September 2016.
- "Qeveria e dytë e Ilir Metës". http://shtetiweb.org/ (in Albanian). http://shtetiweb.org/. External link in
- "Qeveria e peste e Fatos Nanos". http://shtetiweb.org/ (in Albanian). External link in
- "Ben Blushi presents his new party, LIBRA" (in Albanian). Retrieved 2017-03-20.
- "Ben Blushi - Libraria ShtepiaeLibrit.com". www.shtepiaelibrit.com. Retrieved 2017-03-20.
- European Commission. "Winners of 2014 European Union Prize for Literature announced at Frankfurt Book Fair - Press Release". Retrieved 11 October 2014.
|This article about an Albanian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|